PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Vetran in CA

badandy
03-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Hey all,
Recently picked up a blast from my past... an 85 250R. Great running condition, aftermarket plastics in 8 of 10 condition, and complete. scored for $1000, which I think is pretty good considering whats available. I had ridden these when they first came out, and it's always been a bucket list item of mine to get my own. I bought my first... '83 200x when I was twelve, new off the showroom floor with paper route money... for $1650 thirty years ago. My parents wouldn't get me an ATC so I lied about my age at eleven to get my paper route.... That bike still exists in running condition, yet rotting in my brother in laws back yard for the last ten years or so... I may get it back for a resto as well. AND yes that makes me 43yrs old... some kids never grow up!

Mind you, I grew up in Minnesota and Wisconsin... so my areas of expertise include, mud, endless swamps, dirt, jumps, forest trails, snow, snowmobile trails, dragging deer from the woods, and a little bit of Cali river bottoms, dunes, OHV parks, etc... we were unseperable!

Just saying Hey! I'll be lurking, but there's not much I need to know about what to do next... I'll be getting my new friend ready for the Idaho panhandle this summer and getting reacquainted with the beast. I've already picked up a desert tank so I have enough fuel to ride the endless mountain trails up there, and the standard mods as well as any TLC necessary to get her in top shape, and set up for my style is already in work.

I have ridden these awesome trails on a few variants of 4x4 utility type quads... all I could ever think about was... what if.
This year will be ridiculous awesome!

Glad there are still some fans... we are an elite group, and no-one on four wheels will ever understand....

dirtflinger66
03-15-2014, 11:20 AM
welcome! we try to ride in Mojave "Dove Springs" area. wide open and something for everyone. My brother is rebuilding the same bike you have. any ?s hit him up Qdude in this forum.

JasonB
03-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the boards! Sounds like you have had some fun on these machines, nothing but more fun ahead though! Post some pics of your new R and if you have any from back in the day with your old 200x toss those up too, we love photos around here!

Daniel86
03-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Hello and welcome to the site from middle TN!!:welcome:

badandy
03-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the boards! Sounds like you have had some fun on these machines, nothing but more fun ahead though! Post some pics of your new R and if you have any from back in the day with your old 200x toss those up too, we love photos around here!

She's no creampuff, but a screamin' deal for a grand.... will clean up nice.

DirtBastard
03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Congrats nice find. Do you go to Glamis

badandy
03-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Congrats nice find. Do you go to Glamis

I haven't ridden dirt in several years, and the only dunes I ever hit was Sand Mountain in NV. I look forward to getting back into it.

350for350
04-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Hey now. Easy on the quad riders. I'm one of those too. I do understand because I own more trikes than bikes and quads combined. There's just something about trikes that's addictive.

Outlaw #24
04-06-2014, 12:35 AM
Badandy , Welcome and by ALL means get your 200X back from your brother in law :( Sand Mountain is in Utah! My wife and I went there Last September for Mosh 7 and what Hoot we had with all Of our 3 Wheeler friends :naughty: You could plan a Sand Mountain return trip as Mosh 8 is SET for September 19th 2014 :D I believe most of the campers will be at the Oasis Camping area :wondering Hey, we hope to SEE you and Many others then MOSH 8 Don't miss it :confused: :Bounce:Bounce:Bounce

badandy
04-06-2014, 04:29 AM
Badandy , Welcome and by ALL means get your 200X back from your brother in law :( Sand Mountain is in Utah! My wife and I went there Last September for Mosh 7 and what Hoot we had with all Of our 3 Wheeler friends :naughty: You could plan a Sand Mountain return trip as Mosh 8 is SET for September 19th 2014 :D I believe most of the campers will be at the Oasis Camping area :wondering Hey, we hope to SEE you and Many others then MOSH 8 Don't miss it :confused: :Bounce:Bounce:Bounce

AND Nevada.... http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/carson_city_field/blm_programs/recreation/sand_mountain.html

But I get where you're going with this...

Thanks for the invite! I'll definitely see what I can do. I've been working too hard for too many years and look forward to some fun!