PDA

View Full Version : Introduction & Honda ATC200s Pulse Generator Questions

ToddGray76
03-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Hello,

Thank you for approving my membership to this forum. I have been a reader here for quite some time, but have never taken the time to register until today.

I recently picked up a 1985 Honda ATC200s 3 Wheeler and have been working on getting it back to running.

After replacing the worn carburetor with a new aftermarket one, I was still having trouble getting it to start. It seems it would either cough, load up the cylinder, or backfire with no real pattern to what it was doing. Working under the assumption that the new carburetor should at least get it running, I decided to start examining spark.

When I pulled the cover off of the pulse generator assembly, I found that at some point the head of the bolt holding the pulse rotor to the camshaft had sheered off and began rolling around inside the assembly. The damage it caused is quite extensive. It destroyed the spark advance module, caused the dowel pin in the camshaft to rip its way out of the camshaft, and other general problems. I have attached some pictures I took yesterday afternoon of the damage I found. 189176189181189180189179189178189177

I am now looking around for replacement parts on eBay and other places.

At this point, I am quite sure I am going to have to replace the camshaft, as well as all the internals of the pulse generator unit. The pulse generator housing itself appears to be fine other than needing a new oil seal.

I have been looking over at Cheap Cycle Parts as well as a few other places, but am running into some areas of confusion that I am hoping someone might be able to help me with:

1. Will a cam from an ATC200x fit and function correctly in an ATC200s? (According to cheap cycle parts, the Honda part number for these two cams are the same)
2. Will the pulse generator from an ATC200x fit and function correctly in an ATC200s (According to cheap cycle parts, the part numbers are DIFFERENT however when I googled the 200x part number, I found other websites that were selling the pulse generator unit as a replacement for the 200es, 200s, 200x.)

200x parts seem to be abundant on eBay, however parts for the 200s are not as readily available.

Any help would be appreciated.