PDA

View Full Version : Tecate broke and need some help

MustangChris
10-06-2002, 12:18 AM
Two weeks ago I took it out to county road to do some mudding. I sunk it in a water hole and it stalled out sucking water into the motor. I took apart the carb and cleaned it. Reinstalled it and it still wouldn't work, so I took the rest apart. Drained out a gallon or so of mudd and water out of the muffle pipe. Pulled the head, reed valve and magneto case and cleaned and reinstalled. The spark plug is getting fire and gas, but still won't start. Someone told me that my muffle might be clogged and to take it off and try to crank it. Well I did that and it still didn't work. Pulled that sir filter out and it was soaked with water and a nice layer of mud at the bottom. I'm sick of working on and just want it to run corectly for a change.

Billy Golightly
10-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Does it have compression? Depending on how much mud/water you sucked in its very possible it have bent tjhe rod (I've seen it happen all too many times, one of the main reasons I do not mud/water ride anymore.) Try cranking it for a little while and pull your plug and see what it looks like. I would also maybe reccomend taking the flywheel side engine cover off and make sure there isn't some water/mud in there hampering the spark when its under stress in the cyl.

MIK6
10-06-2002, 03:14 PM
If you pull the flywheel cover make sure you put a new gasket in. There is no fluid under the cover, I have heard people tht have not. Once water/ mudd gets in it will loosen up the magnet, and cause the typical flywheel/stator failure.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6

G-MAN-1
10-06-2002, 08:11 PM
hey mik did u drain the water out of the motor under the piston and all.if u have any kind of wetness under there in the crank it wont start either.i had this problem once trailprotrailpro............................ :oops:

G-MAN-1
10-06-2002, 08:22 PM
i thought mik had the problem.lol sounds like him.....lmao.tecate problems and alllllll :shock:

MustangChris
10-06-2002, 08:56 PM
It has compression and I've pulled out the plug and it has some kind of little spots of something on it. Not really sure if its gas or water or what not. I did and oil change on it and it came out looking like milk. I pulled the side off were the magnets are and it came off and its all brown dusty looking stuff. Plus two of the magnets came off so I have to put them back on. I don't know if I knocked them off or they where already off.

Someone told me since I flooded it that when the water rushed in it could have thrown the timing off. I don't know if this is true or not?

G-MAN-1
10-06-2002, 08:59 PM
i think you have water in the crank.......................... :idea:

Tri-Z_Jim
10-06-2002, 09:48 PM
Next you should try flipping the machine upside down to drain out the water that is still in the crankcase.I doubt the timing is off.

MustangChris
10-07-2002, 12:53 AM
How long should I turn it over for? Do I drain the oil out of the crankcase first? Remove the gas tank too?

MustangChris
10-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Back to the top For Tri_Z Jim

Jeb
10-08-2002, 01:45 PM
If you've changed the oil and you don't want to mess with draining it out, look behind where the kickstarter is and on the engine case you will see the tranny vent hose. follow the hose to the end of it and stick a screw that fits snugly into the open end. If there is no hose on it, plug that plastic fitting. The easiest way is to go down to the auto parts store and buy one of those rubber caps that you put on vacuum lines. By plugging this vent line, you will be able to turn the engine (or whole trike) over to drain the water out of the bottom end and it shouldn't leak any oil out of the tranny. You do need to drain the gas tank and carb bowl as there's no way to stop the gas from running out. well, unless you have a gas cap you could use that does not have a vent in it. but the carb bowl will still empty.

Once you drain the water and turn the trike back over, absolutely do not forget to remove the plug on the tranny vent hose.

MustangChris
10-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Alright I'll give that a try tomorrow if I can. Can't I pull the bolt out of the bottom and drain the oil then move the oil rubber stick thing then tip it over. I don't mind draining everything out and filling it back up.

MustangChris
10-10-2002, 08:14 AM
I think that might have fixed it, I'll put it back together tonight. Yesterday I pulled the oil bolt, carb, oil fill plug and the spark plug. Flipped the bike over and a 1/2 gallon or so of mud/water came out on the intake side. I have to go pick up some more gaskets today and hopefully it will run correctly