PDA

View Full Version : Soda stream review.

lokisbuddy
03-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Ok so I got a soda stream and figured I would post a review, I hate pop I never drink it but I do drink energy drinks redbull and green monster and I figured if I could lower my cost for I must say for 7 bucks I got a energy drink mix that makes up to 60 liters, you fill the hardened 1l bottle with water put it in the soda stream machine and then hit the button a few times discharging the co2 into the water, you then remove the bottle add a capful of the mixture and gently tilt the bottle from side to side to mix it and when I tasted it.....it was pretty damn good its not exactly like redbull but its pretty damn close. you can use any thing like cocoa or kool aid or tea whatever hell I considered filling the hardened 1 liter bottle with bourbon and making a bourbon soda lol. basically id recommend this product to everyone here. you can have co2 filled at paintball supply real cheap. http://www.walmart.com/ip/SodaStream-Jet-Home-Soda-Maker-Starter-Kit/20934482?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=69625795036&category=0%3A4044%3A90548%3A90546%3A133025&client_guid=bb95b913-fbb7-4cc6-8308-3eb4c632ddcb&customer_id_enc=1bcad2ed11b5a82efd27f0e498edb1c7&config_id=0&parent_item_id=20934488&guid=cecf42e2-175a-463e-9d46-518fcda59991&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n 189388189390189391

kb0nly
03-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I have the same sodastream and a few empty tanks for it collecting dust here. Its a pretty good unit overall, but the problem i always had was the syrups tasted horrible because they use aspartame artificial sweetener, not to mention the fact that aspartame gives me a headache. I'm one of the lucky thousands that gets a headache from the stuff, near migraine levels.

I built a home soda machine, two head fountain. Usually keep one side loaded with Root Beer for the kids and the other side i generally run my favorite iced tea through it now. I do agree, making your own is a lot cheaper. I can bag in box syrup for it a LOT cheaper.

One site you might want to know, www.syrupsupply.com, i use them pretty often along with www.webstaurant.com

You can get a spigot that plugs into the outlet of the bag in box syrups and use that for mixing with your sodastream, we did that a lot here too by buying a five gallon bag in box and using the sodastream to carbonate each bottles worth. Its a lot cheaper than buying their little syrup bottles.

lokisbuddy
03-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the links you have a soda stream so maybe you can answer this question. it says use water in the bottle only what if I put a liter of bourbon and charge it with co2 then mix the coke syrup with it in my thoughts it would just be a more concentrated bourbon and coke. any reason you see why that wouldn't work?

atc007
03-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Unless your paintball shop has the adapter. You're in for a bad surprise when you go to fill it. The adapter is around $58 I think. then you're GTG. Around $4 a fill. But they can't thread on without a soda stream adapter.. I think they are up to $20 x change or so at the stores. Nuts... I Love their Orange,and also like ours. KB has it all figured out though! He has the cats ass at his home !

lokisbuddy
03-18-2014, 07:31 PM
yeah my boss fills paintball tanks we made an adapter. I can get the part list you need if you are interested in it.

kb0nly
03-18-2014, 08:26 PM
If you try to carbonate anything other than water the CO2 quickly reacts and you get a nice spray of whatever you tried to carbonate out the top and all over your face... LOL... Ask me why i know that? Yup, i have tried.

The cheapest way to do the Sodastream is get the adapter off ebay that gives you a nice hose to hook up a larger bottle. I know lots of people that have them with a 2.5 or 5lb tank, the exchange or refill on them is pretty cheap. I have a 20lb tank for my setup, the local welding shop gets gas from a place that will drop a tank off for me whenever i need it.

kb0nly
03-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Oh one more hint... Never ever ever let carbonated water come into contact with copper. Don't pour it into something copper and then drink it, i know that doesn't seem very likely but just a warning. You will get sicker than you ever been before and its deadly!