PDA

View Full Version : Redneck'n

kmichels
03-22-2014, 03:36 PM
I'll be honest I didn't go through much trouble searching for a similar thread but I was wanting to see a thread devoted to repairs that may not quite be the best option but got the job done.

WARNING! CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL - If you are easily offended by butchered repair jobs leave now :)

This is my attempt at a repair of a '83 Honda 200E with a rear axle spline worn over. The welded one is from a PO and the other is mine. I think mine is a bit better as it can be more easily reverted, mostly.

kmichels
03-22-2014, 04:34 PM
In more recent news…. one end of the bolt sheared off… and I doubt the engine is putting out that much torque… hoping this is a plausible solution just a matter of a tougher bolt.

atc007
03-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Nig rigging is a gigantic waste of your time. And ,it is dangerous. A new hub is what. $20. You have WAY more in your time,drill bits,welding etc.. Fix it once,fix it right. Ride safe. Life is short. But since I did open the pics. WTH is going on with the welded side hub. Bolts threaded into where there used to be splines?! The weld/snapping of the axle because of weld. MAY be the least of your worries! Good luck :)

kmichels
03-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Well, just to be clear, I still have the crown bolt on the end of the axle to make sure that the hub doesn't just go rolling down the hill without the trike. And I also do not plan on blasting with this trike, my typical ride consists of cruising the gravel roads. I probably could have purchased a new hub and probably will eventually as I thought the splines on the axle were part of the problem but after further investigation they might not be so bad off. As far as the welded side? I have no clue what the PO had go wrong with it. I would guess they had the hub splines worn over too and that was their fix.

The bolt that sheared is the one that I put through the hub/axle. The pics are of two different ends of the axle.

Losurdo
03-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I can understand doin it right and doing the first time but that's pretty crafty sometimes you can't get parts until later on so I know when you wanna cruise you wanna cruise so:p cheers

briano
03-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Good luck with finding a bolt to hold up to those twisting forces. By time you find one big enough the hold you're going to have drilled is going to make the axle the weak point. You would be better off welding it on since the other side is already welded.

El Camexican
03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
I can’t believe that your trike has enough torque to shear off an extra heavy duty ¼” zinc plated grade 2 bolt (or was it 5/16”?!!), especially after you double nutted it! Very impressive, what have you got done to the engine?:beer

DohcBikes
03-23-2014, 10:43 PM
I can’t believe that your trike has enough torque to shear off an extra heavy duty ¼” zinc plated grade 2 bolt (or was it 5/16”?!!), especially after you double nutted it! Very impressive, what have you got done to the engine?:beerAnd with that I get my out loud 3ww laugh for the day.

I thought for sure the double nut would do it.

El Camexican
03-23-2014, 11:09 PM
And with that I get my out loud 3ww laugh for the day.

I thought for sure the double nut would do it.

You realize that laughing at that makes you almost as much of a dick as I am:lol:

DohcBikes
03-23-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm trying my best, but you set such a high standard El:lol:

kmichels
04-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Alright... alright... :) Obviously the double nut was to assist in keeping them from backing off due to vibration and it was more or less an experiment to see how well it held up... EXPERIMENT FAILED. I'm no engineer but I wouldn't have expected there to be nearly that much torque going to the rear axle considering the way I drove it during the test drive but then again it could have more to do with a back and forth motion due to slop around the bolt. I'll not be re-drilling the hole because the last thing I want to do is for the axle to become the weakpoint and if I have any dignity left at all I'd prefer to retain it lol

sh68cobra
04-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I must say trail fixes are the best of creative mode, and this is in that category. Well done my friend.

Ghostv2
04-02-2014, 01:46 PM
My shifter splines were stripped so i drilled a hole through the shifter and shaft and put a bolt through it. Though i did not take pictures because most of the time im not proud of things like this.

Also the tab that holds the silencer on the frame in which the bolt goes through broke off and my silencer fell off the bike so i rode to a burn pile and got some tire wire and rigged it on there. It fell off so i rigged it on with zip ties and it held on until the day i sold it. Didnt melt through or anything. Plus everything was welded on that bike. Rims to the hubs, shifter, kicker, etc. Gotta love them trail fixes, if zip ties cant help it cant be fixed.

DohcBikes
04-02-2014, 02:45 PM
My shifter splines were stripped so i drilled a hole through the shifter and shaft and put a bolt through it. Though i did not take pictures because most of the time im not proud of things like this. ROFLMAO!!!!

Yes trail fixes are awesome.....I won't show the pic of a jeep tie rod that I welded together with two batteries either lol.......

honda atc guy
04-02-2014, 04:36 PM
MacGyver has nothing on you guys. :lol: Well done! :beer