PDA

View Full Version : 110 new topend, smoking worse!

vincer
03-23-2014, 12:12 AM
I have a 79 110 that got a fresh +3mm overbore using an old cycle craft kit I found on eBay. Everything was assembled to stock specs but it started smoking within seconds of first firing. It smokes from dead cold and never stops. Thinking it may be the head I went through a spare head I had, lapped the valves in, new valve seal and it still smokes like a freight train. Had a few local guys tell me the valve seal needs replaced. So it got another new one. Still smoking. I guess my question is the piston set came with one piece oil ring, does that style of oil ring take a long time to seat? I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out and am out of ideas other than getting a new piston and trying to bore another cyl. Does anyone have ideas to look for?

shortline10
03-23-2014, 07:12 AM
The rings are junk on those cycle craft kits and its not just the oil ring . Try and find a set of std 86/87 OEM Honda rings for a 125m which are 55mm .

I have a 79 110 that got a fresh +3mm overbore using an old cycle craft kit I found on eBay. Everything was assembled to stock specs but it started smoking within seconds of first firing. It smokes from dead cold and never stops. Thinking it may be the head I went through a spare head I had, lapped the valves in, new valve seal and it still smokes like a freight train. Had a few local guys tell me the valve seal needs replaced. So it got another new one. Still smoking. I guess my question is the piston set came with one piece oil ring, does that style of oil ring take a long time to seat? I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out and am out of ideas other than getting a new piston and trying to bore another cyl. Does anyone have ideas to look for?

vincer
03-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Well that was going to be my next question, should most 3 piece oil ring sets fit in this piston? I was thinking of trying to get a set and try that but was nervous that they wouldn't fit my piston.

atc007
03-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Great call Mike. Hadn't heard of this one :) I saw the post and thought. Your head pipe is still full of oil. It will take an hour to burn clean. Or he honed it and put used rings back in. Or he bored it and specs are off. But none of the above.

shortline10
03-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes the oil ring is the same thickness and can be used in place of a 1 piece oil ring . I just purchased one of those biker chick + 3mm piston kits and didn't even bother using the rings that come with the kit knowing better :lol: I installed a set of rocky + 3mm rings and they worked great zero smoke .

Well that was going to be my next question, should most 3 piece oil ring sets fit in this piston? I was thinking of trying to get a set and try that but was nervous that they wouldn't fit my piston.

HappyTrail
03-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Shortline is right. I had the same issue recently and solved it with this set of rings. http://m.ebay.com/itm/280706806501?nav=SEARCH...

shortline10
03-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Awesome ... might buy a few sets of those just to keep in stock .

Shortline is right. I had the same issue recently and solved it with this set of rings. http://m.ebay.com/itm/280706806501?nav=SEARCH...

vincer
03-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'll get the set on order here in a few minutes and let you know how it turns out!

vincer
03-30-2014, 11:20 PM
Well got the ring set that HappyTrail suggested off of eBay on Friday. The top ring was too narrow to fit the cycle craft piston so I reluctantly used the cycle craft top ring and the second and oil rings from the new kit. Happy to report that the smoking has stopped! It did take 45 minutes or so of running for the pipe to clear out, but it ran great! Tons of power for a 118cc motor. I should mention that I did open up the ports while waiting on the rings to come. Nothing radical just cleaned them up a bit. Now just need to break it in some more and jet it down a little more. Thanks for all your help guys!