PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

vince22944
03-23-2014, 12:32 AM
i put the oil filter on the wrong way (WOW). im gunna switch it tomorrow. what couldve happended if i was riding with it the wrong way?

El Camexican
03-23-2014, 01:26 AM
That depends. What trike? Worst case you blocked all flow and your engine was junk in less than 30 minutes (if you are lucky). Best case is that your oil was flowing past the filter without getting filtered in which case it is unlikley any harm was done. Again, we need to know what trike you have. I've never seen a filter that could be installed backward, but I learn something new everyday

Ghostv2
03-23-2014, 01:33 AM
Off the main topic but I have another question. Why do they sell oil filters in packs of 3 and why do you need to replace them? I have been using the same one since 1984 and it's just a metal screen in which nothing is wrong with it let alone caught by it. I mean I could see if it's damaged but yea.

El Camexican
03-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Off the main topic but I have another question. Why do they sell oil filters in packs of 3 and why do you need to replace them? I have been using the same one since 1984 and it's just a metal screen in which nothing is wrong with it let alone caught by it. I mean I could see if it's damaged but yea.

Short answer - MOQ

In order to get a production run of something you need to buy a certain amount. What better way to get a low volumn item at a good price than by making the end user buy multiples. It lowers perceived shipping costs as well.

Keep in mind not everyone wants to wash that filter out and reuse it.