PDA

View Full Version : Help with a surveilance system.......

Dirtcrasher
03-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Hello, I need 3 or 4 cameras, wireless but requiring 120V (fine). My brothers can be seen on his smart phone and he has no audio/video wires, just a wireless router and a laptop or an old PC with a big hard drive. Sometimes he seems to get mad if I ask him for help so I leave it at that.

So, thats the way his system works and I want something likewise. I have a tenant suing me claiming she can't walk now as I watch her get her son every day at 2:45 and I want it recorded.

Hey uses "I Spy software".

Any help with the vast knowledge here would be great :D

Thank you! and no X10 for me. Ran for a week and died so I threw it all away; These will be at my apartment house.

El Camexican
03-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Are you sure a video will hold up in court, or if it is even legal to make one (stalking laws)?

Be careful and talk to a lawyer buddy, I got myself in a real mess over something similar.

Dirtcrasher
03-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Your correct and I appreciate that, but at the least, I can send it to my insurance company and let them figure it out. Maybe I'll swing into my insurance company tomorrow.

Thanks bud!! It isn't stalking, it is merely a surveillance video to PROTECT the tenants but "caught" this fraud............

I STILL want a system, regardless, to see who abuses my dumpster, dirties my backyard etc etc "Did you leave that there?, No!, Oh, well uhmm, I have it on video"....

El Camexican
03-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Cool. There is a system out now with a fisheye lense that is amazing. We were looking at if for one of our warehouses. I will try and get you the name.

Scootertrash
03-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I'll check with my brother too. He has a single cam at his house that alerts him thru his smart phone if someone enters the camera range.

Now whenever I stop by when he's not home I give him the Hawaiian good luck sign when I get out of my truck. :D

El Camexican
03-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC925qILkSg

ironchop
03-24-2014, 10:15 AM
its stuff like that is why I could NEVER be a landlord. We rent our current house because we were never sure where we would end up settling so we haven`t pulled the trigger on a mortgage yet and may never do so as its cheaper and maintenance/taxes aren`t my problem either when you rent. I have been at my current address going on 8 yrs this month and my former was 5 yrs. I`d like to think we are the kind of long-term tenants someone would want as I do all the repair work and upkeep with exception of when the furnace and the AC quit and he discounts my rent when this happens. We landscape the yard and generally brought up the property value but after decades of living around other renters, I have found ourselves very much the exception than the rule. The kind of stuff I have seen people both attempt and get away with regarding their landlords blows my mind. When I lived up North it seemed very hard to get an eviction notice served to deadbeats. They had to be six months behind on rent and NOT handicapped in any way or they got a hardship extension. Nothing like losing money for six months while someone "gets their act together"...who cares if the landlord can`t feed his family, it`s the renter who`s "victimized" by the big mean landowner who makes a few bux over and above the rent payment minus mortgage/taxes/fees/repairs (when they actually get the rent payment) until between 15 and 30 yrs have passed and the mortgage is free and clear........I have several friends who rent properties to others....NOT ONE OF THEM is ever happy about their chosen revenue stream.

sorry to hijack DC.....rant over

Scootertrash
03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
My brother has a logitech 750e, but it would get a bit spendy to set up a 4 cam system:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/alert750e-outdoor-master-system?crid=700

Dirtcrasher
03-24-2014, 05:58 PM
A good price would be part of my choice. I think my bro paid 60$ for each wireless camera, but they do need 115V.

kb0nly
03-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Get some cheap Wanscam IP Cams off ebay, i have installed dozens of these buggers now. Inside or outside? The inside ones are pretty cheap, around $40-50 each, the outside ones are a little more but you can still find them in the $60 range.

Check out blueiris software. http://www.blueirissoftware.com/8.html

For a single camera its only $30, a full license that will run as many cams as you want is only $49.95. There is resellers of theirs where you can get it a bit cheaper, Newegg.com has their sofware for $39.95 most of the time. Its been one of the most reliable software packages i have seen for monitoring IP cams and providing remote access to a phone or computer. Also has motion triggered recording, its a very full featured software for the low price.

On your phone check out an app called IP Cam Viewer, best one out there in my opinion.

I have a Geovision card based system here, a dedicated PC that has a 16 port DVR card and wired 24v AC cameras. Its kind of old school but the cameras are modern digital HD cams.

atc007
03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Best advice/set up you will get for the money..^^^^

redsox
03-25-2014, 08:57 AM
steve, you're good to go on cameras in any public or common area in your buildings. anywhere where there is "no reasonable expectation of privacy." be careful with pointing them in windows and over fences and such. things get a little "gray area." if your goal is to stop the behavior, i'd recommend putting up signs that there are cameras. if your goal is to catch the behavior, then, obviously, no sign. reach out if you need anything.

Edit: forgot to mention. i'd stay away from any type of audio recording. massachusetts is VERY restrictive on what you can record. if youre going to record audio (which you shouldnt) you gotta put up a sign.