PDA

View Full Version : '84 200ES Big Red Trouble Downshifting

tvpierce
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Posted this in Trikesalvania, but didn't get much action.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/166185-84-200ES-Big-Red-Trouble-Downshifting

Had the clutch adjusted properly. The transmission would upshift flawlessly, but would not downshift.

Now I have the right side cover off, and can see the shift mechanism as I work the shift lever. (I can upload a video if it would help.) On the upshift, everything works like clockwork: The shift mechanism ratchets the drum stopper and the gear advances. But on the downshift, the mechanism doesn't seem to be able to lift high enough to ratchet the drum stopper back to engage the lower gear.

If I fiddle and fuss with it, I can sometimes get it to upshift a gear, but not reliably.

The shift mechanism doesn't look worn or bent, nor does the stopper. Could something be bent on the shift lever side?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

One suggestion was that it's the shift stopper/star, but as you can see in the pic, it doesn't look worn at all... nor does the lever that contacts it.
Any further thoughts are appreciated.

Iceracer1
03-28-2014, 11:10 PM
I have had a similar problem in the past but instead of downshift problems I had upshift problems. I tore into it and it turns out the shift forks were damaged. After replacing the forks the problem was solved.

tvpierce
03-30-2014, 12:51 PM
I have had a similar problem in the past but instead of downshift problems I had upshift problems. I tore into it and it turns out the shift forks were damaged. After replacing the forks the problem was solved.

Was it that the shift forks were bent or just worn out?