PDA

View Full Version : Differentiating feature of 85 & 86 250r swingarm

jchale
03-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Is there a way to determine if a swingarm is from an 85 atc250r or a a 86 atc250r? Not sure how to determine and want to order some parts.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-26-2014, 10:36 PM
-Brake caliper stay is different.

-'85 swingarm has a smaller diameter carrier housing than the '86. In other words, the '85 carrier is smaller diameter than the '86

Jason125m
03-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Post up a picture of how your rear caliper stay mounts.... we can tell ya!

oile
03-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Is the sprocket hub the same on both years or they different?

Red Rider
03-27-2014, 03:08 AM
Is the sprocket hub the same on both years or they different?The sprocket hubs are different. On the 1985 axle, the sprocket bolts to the left side (outside) of the hub. On the 1986 axle, the sprocket bolts to the right side (inside) of the hub.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-27-2014, 10:16 AM
I would add that the sprocket hub is part of the axle.

What exactly are you looking to do jchale?

jchale
03-27-2014, 05:37 PM
I am doing a restoration on this bike. First 250r and learning as I go. I have bought a LS axle, rear hubs, anti-fade/brake hub, new (86) sprocket and chain, new 85 bearing holder (was nervous after I found out 85 & 86 are different). Looks like I have an 85 swingarm as I spoke to the dude I bought the machine off last night. I think he knows but didn't seem overly confident. I was going to order a new billet brake stay although I see most available are for 86+ swing arm. Since everything else is new I wanted to replace the brake stay although not easy to find. I may just have to clean mine up.
Is there anything else I need for the rear end assembly? I understand I may have to shim the LS anti-fade/brake hub depending on my inset of my bearing holder on the 85 swing. Like I said I have a new bearing holder, axle with sprocket hub, anti-fade/brake hub. I guess I may have to use my old brake stay. Anything else you guys can think of? Are the brake calipers the same on the 85 & 86? I have the original caliper and a real nice spare one but not sure if it is off an 85 or 86. I have not had a chance to work on this thing at all (a 2 yr old and a 7 week old.... enough said). I hope I will be able to find some time soon. I just finished a restoration on a 70 Scorpion with a Sachs 340ss. Been in the family since it was 6mth old. see pic.

I guess I should have asked the question on how much a restoration would roughly cost prior to starting.......... I'm mad at myself cause I need things perfect. I've spent a small fortune on parts and haven't even worked on it. Think I pretty much have all the parts I need now. Been on evilbay for some time. I just need to tear down and have the frame and motor powder coated. I will send pics of before and after once complete.

Thanks for all the help.

BOB MARLIN
03-27-2014, 06:00 PM
I thought there was a difference in the pivot mount also. Meaning that if its on a '85r it's most likely a '85 swinger.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-27-2014, 08:48 PM
I can't tell from the pic what the caliper stay looks like, but the carrier is definitely an '85. That being the case I can tell you that you have an '85 rear end.

To my knowledge, nobody makes and aftermarket caliper stay (the arm type as opposed to the 1 piece caliper mount/stay found on 86-later models)

Since you are using an '86-later axle, make sure you use an '86-later rear sprocket.

The calipers themselves are the same, but the saddles are different.

The cost of a restore depends on the degree of true OEM you are going for. A true restore with all OEM and NOS OEM parts is very expensive and painstaking. I have not done one myself, but this is what I have learned from others who have.

But one thing is for sure, whether you are going for true OEM restore or a nice resto-mod, it's not going to be cheap.

Example: One of my R's has close to 8g into it. It is not an OEM true restore. It is a ground up rebuild and the engine is fairly heavily modded. My other R is a work in progress and has not had as much put into it. I got quite a few parts on the cheap from members here and some other things came from other places. I basically had to get it together on a budget just to get it mechanically sound and rideable again. I started with a bare frame. That one has about 2g into it. But I can say that most people at the starting point I was at with that trike would usually end up sinking closer to 3g into it to get it where it is now..

the_chief
04-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi!

I'm doing the same thing. I'm cleaning up my old 85 250r and replaced the old axle with a new LSR 2+4, got the 86 style sprocket, but don't have the bolts. Where can I find the tapered bolts that it needs? I doubt I can find something similar at the hardware store, but will try that today. Is there a place online that I can find the bolts for the sprocket? I've searched, but I'm obviously searching for the wrong thing since I can't find it.

jchale
04-04-2014, 11:37 AM
I am awaiting delivery on the same axle. I just sent Atvgalaxy (ebay seller) a message asking if they stock new bolts. I will let you know his answer.

Mr. Clean
04-04-2014, 12:08 PM
I have multiple sets of the 86 style tapered bolts freshly zinc plated. Interested to see if they are available.