PDA

View Full Version : Can I repair a cracked float?

Mecsey33
03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Hello, I have a small crack in the carburetor float on my 110, has anyone tried and successfully repaired a leaky plastic float? Of corse this happens the day before I go to take it out and dont know where to get one in town so I'm just looking for a quick fix for the weekend.. I don't know of any silicon or glue that will hold up in fuel. Thanks for looking

nachop
03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
You need to replace it with a new one. Don't try to fix it.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Nope.... going to need to replace it.

It's possible superglue might hold, but I don't know if it will hold up to the fuel..

jeswinehart
03-27-2014, 09:36 PM
You can buy this product at any Hobby Lobby store and it is fuel safe. I tested it awhile back using a small excess cut off trim part from a part the Mrs. and I make and it defintly holds up to gasoline.
I highly recomened to clean the float with rubbing alcohol and only mix up a small (equal parts of A and B) amount and pour over the cracked area. Do that mulitple times to build up layers and sand off edges.
You will need to have part slightly warm for product to cure out. Also you may need to adjust the "tang" on the float incase it floats a wee bit higher.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/casting-resin-698308/

john

badandy
03-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Never tried. I bet there's some fuel tank sealant or epoxy at the auto parts store... but any weight you add is gonna sink your float anyway. So you better go light. Not sure I'd ride far from camp....

Mecsey33
03-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Has anyone heard of or used Seal All gas and oil resistant adhesive from autozone?

jeswinehart
03-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Yes. That is what I use to reglue tecate flywheel magnets back in place before encapsulating them with a different resin then the product I mentioned earlier.
24 hour cure if I am not mistaken. I was recommended Seals All for brake pad/ drive pads on 6 wheelers along time ago and it is very good stuff IMO.
I never tied it raw gasoline though,,,

Ghostv2
03-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't it still weigh down the float and cause it not to perform correctly?

Flyingw
03-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Ghost is correct. ANYTHING you put on the float will add weight and the float will not be as buoyant so it may keep the valve open to overflow.

briano
03-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Soldering iron and melt it back together? Might work, might not, it's already cracked so what do you have to lose.

250r86
03-27-2014, 11:26 PM
I would replace it or try to melt the crack shut. That would be the only thing that wouldn't add any weight to it. Good luck

tri again
03-28-2014, 06:22 AM
On the concept of exact float measurements.:
I'll start and run across the field. do whatever, restart and run back across the field and die.
Of course, I forgot to turn the gas on but it runs GREAT until it stops so I wonder if a few thousandths in float level really matters, other than sinking and leaking overflow.

Just rable rousing

Mecsey33
03-28-2014, 10:03 AM
I appreciate all the reply's, I might try small dab of fuel resistant silicon and see how it floats in a cup of fuel. Thank you everyone