PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 200x clutch problems

bigrackhunt1985
03-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I have a 1985 Honda 200x when I pull the clutch in, the clutches do not disengage but I can see the springs push in when I look into the hole where the oil dip stick goes. I can't figure out what would cause this. Can anyone help?

Liquid-Darkness
03-29-2014, 05:42 AM
Maybe the fiber disks are sticking to the plate disks??

shortline10
03-29-2014, 06:35 AM
If the bike hasn't run in a while the plates get stuck to each other . Run the motor be patient and it should free up after a few minuets .

bigrackhunt1985
03-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks I will go let it run and see what happens

wonderboy
03-29-2014, 10:04 AM
If running it a bit doesn't free things up, then the clutch may need some attention. The clutch basket fingers can get notches in them from the repeated pounding they receive from the tabs on the clutch plates. When you pull in the clutch handle, the clutch plates get stuck in these notches and keep some amount of pressure on each other, giving some drag. THe fix is to file the grooves in the clutch basket smooth. It takes a bit of work, but is the way to fix a hanging clutch (assuming everything is adjusted correctly).

Another question: how are you determining that the clutch isn't disengaging? Is the machine on the ground and moving forward, or do you just have the rear wheels in the air on a stand? The reason I ask is that if the wheels are free in the air, it isn't uncommon that the wheels may spin a bit even with teh clutch pulled in.

bigrackhunt1985
03-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Its on the ground

DohcBikes
03-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Sorry but if the clutch basket is notched, get a different one. Filling a clutch basket is pointless.

It will cause you to have a noisy, clattering clutch and it will wear out again in no time anyway, because now you have slop and free play for the clutch to gain velocity on before it smacks the fingers on the basket every time you hit the throttle.

People do file them, but its not a fix, just a temporary patch job.

If the clutch isn't working properly, and you can't get the adjustment to help the issue, then its time to take the clutch out and inspect it, not just go ride it and see what happens.

Do this stuff the right way for crying out loud.

hoosierlogger
03-30-2014, 01:58 PM
My 85 does the same thing if it sits for a while. Best advice I can give you, is to point it in a safe direction, wear a helmet, rev it up, and be ready to go when you shift it into gear.