PDA

View Full Version : Delaware NewB

Jim Dunn
03-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Hello all. Just found 3WW. Looks like a great site to learn about our 3 wheelers. I live near the middle of Delaware, very flat land and good for riding through the fields and woods. Bought my first 3 wheeler in the late 70's. A Honda 110, tough critter, but traded in '84 for a Big Red. Got the chance to pick up a bargain at a farm sale and bought another one just like it about 5 years later. They've both been great around the farm for a long time. However, the one I bought at the sale stuck the exhaust valve a couple of years ago thanks to this ethanol their putting in gas nowadays. I didn't take time to fix it until this winter, just parked it in the shed and put it on the back burner as far as job needing attention. Pulled the engine in January and took the head to the Honda dealer. They replaced the exhaust valve and both guides. Got most of it back together now and just wanted to turn her over with the starter, found that the starter doesn't turn so I've got to troubleshoot that problem now. Don't know much about the electrical end so I'll be asking for some help to get her running.

Looking forward to our chats on the forum.

Jim

Daniel86
04-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Hello and welcome from middle TN!!:welcome: Are you getting power to the starter? I would start by checking the solenoid first.

jakep53
04-04-2014, 06:36 AM
welcome to 3ww

Jim Dunn
04-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Thought my problem was battery related or something wrong with the wiring. Turned out to be in the starter. After just sitting for too many years, I had a rust build up inside the starter and it could not turn. Pulled it apart and cleaned everything good and now it works like a champ. Just got her started and found that I did something wrong in the sub-transmission. Reverse and low range are working good, but I don't find a gear in the high range. Any suggestions?

Jim

donwon
05-11-2014, 07:34 PM
how's it going jim, not to far from ya. I'm in milford. keep a lot of parts for the auto trikes look me up if your in need of something. as for that sub trans I've never owned one but a buddy of mine had one for a while and his was real hard to get back in high range. his was beat up though. 3ww offers manuals for down load all you have to do is click on the world class help and its yours. good luck.

350for350
05-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Welcome, Jim. As you now know NEVER run ethanol gas if you can help it. I only run premium in all of my small engines, even my lawnmower. They all seem to run better using it and I'm pretty sure there's no ethanol in it. If you can't find gas without ethanol, there's an additive you can use with it to get rid of the bad effects. I don't remember what it's called and I don't remember seeing it. An auto parts store should be able to get you some.

JasonB
05-13-2014, 10:18 AM
welcome to the boards! That big red is in amazing shape! Looks like you take excellent care of your bikes. Good luck figuring out the issue with the tranny