PDA

View Full Version : what do you have in your wrench drawer

xela456
04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
I recently have been given the opportunity to replace ALL my tool via theft.
I'm in the market for a wrench set to be more specific a U.S.A. 3/8-1-1/4 inch wrench set i really like proto tools however i'm a millwright and im going to need wrenches before i can afford the 300 plus for the set i want.
any recommendations?

honda3
04-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Gear wrenches

xela456
04-03-2014, 09:24 PM
gear wrenches are taiwan. however i have owned alot of them and they are good wrenches however im trying to stay usa

El Camexican
04-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Craftsman isn't pretty, but they get the job done.

Chopsaw
04-03-2014, 10:14 PM
I recently have been given the opportunity to replace ALL my tool via theft.
I'm in the market for a wrench set to be more specific a U.S.A. 3/8-1-1/4 inch wrench set i really like proto tools however i'm a millwright and im going to need wrenches before i can afford the 300 plus for the set i want.
any recommendations?

Is that Kansas city Mo. ? Millwright , St. Louis Carpenters Millwright Local ? Just askin . So you are looking for an American made wrench set ? I have Matco , Snap on , blue point and SK . Any high end tool sales should let you make payments . So if you are working , get the set you like , and pay it off .

DasUberKraut
04-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I have about $9,000 invested into GearWrench and KD. Quality tools that look great and always work properly.

Most of those "name brands" break often and are extremely overpriced. And don't try to tell me I'm wrong. I see it every week in the shop.

briano
04-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Gear wrench here too. I've had a set for over four years and they are holding up great.

xela456
04-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Local 1529 to be exact. And I had over 5000 invested in hand and power tools in my truck That was stolen. From trigen on first and grand if your familiar with the place Chopsaw. I had a mixture of craftsman proto and gearwrenches and was happy with all of the above, however since ive been given this opportunity to replace everything I own I ld like to go all USA. Craftsman is hit and miss with the American made tools also gear wrenches are high quality but made in Taiwan and even China. Id like to go high end but I don't know how to trakc down a truck to make payments to

86125m
04-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Craftsman wrenches are our favorate and also have liftime replacement .

Dave Little
04-03-2014, 11:58 PM
As far as hand tools go, the best way I have found is to buy them from craigslist from someone who bought them off a truck, or just study and follow the industrial auction scene.

El Camexican
04-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I own I ld like to go all USA. Craftsman is hit and miss with the American made tools also gear wrenches are high quality but made in Taiwan and even China.

They offer BOTH now. There is a USA made Craftsman line and an off-shore Craftsman line. US Made sets are more than double the import stuff. They also carry a third level that has no warrenty.

El Camexican
04-04-2014, 12:01 AM
As far as hand tools go, the best way I have found is to buy them from craigslist from someone who bought them off a truck, or just study and follow the industrial auction scene.

The other option is the pawn shop where the stolen ones end up:lol:

MNhondaguy
04-04-2014, 02:35 AM
Don't let the need for having American tools get in the way of owning a good wrench set for a good price. Youve been around tools long enough to feel a good tool in your hands. Pick em up, if it feels right, get them. I personally have snapon sae wrenches and sockets/ratchets. All my metric is craftsman. I also have gearwrench, full set of sae and metric.

I got my snapon stuff through a program In high school auto class where I went to work instead of class. Worked at a machine shop so the diesel set, all sae, fit the job better. I couldn't afford snapon metric stuff so I got craftsman at car swap meets when I went. Never been disappointed with either.

A guy I worked with had SK, I liked them. The length was a little longer than most standard sets of other brands which was nice. The tools I used at my mechanic job through college were Matco. I liked them as well. Matco has a good warranty, at least with everything I broke. Craftsman has been good as well at sears. Haven't dealt with the snapon guy, but I imagine it isn't bad.

sledcrazyinCT
04-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Sucks they stole your truck! I was going to suggest blackhawk USA tools only to see they are a Proto brand

If I had to reinvest in hand tools I would buy the craftsman sockets but purchase snap on ratchets. Nothing worse in tight spots when a cheap ratchet won't click and turn for you. I would not buy new craftsman ratchets they are no longer any good and instead of replacing under warranty they provide a rebuild kit for you to take home and mess with yourself. A lot of my craftsman tools have made in Mexico stamped on them, only made in USA craftsman stuff has been in my family for decades. Sears has been cheaping out any more IMO. Their Evolve is chintzy at best, I would get some pittsburgh tools over the Evolve line since harbor freight will warranty with no hassles.

A coworker has a few nice sets of gearwench box wrenches that he bought off a tool truck - he paid for the SAE set and the seller gave him the metric set. I would do the same deal instantly it was $140 and these are very handy, super long and thin offering access to tight spots and plenty of leverage to bust loose fasteners.

Hope your insurance company treats you fair so you can rebuild your tool stash

briano
04-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Just another little tidbit, if you like Matco then go buy gear wrench stuff, it's made by the same company. Matco and gear wrench ratchets are identical, I rebuilt my Matco ratchet with a gear wrench kit. The only difference is the price tag. I was just looking at a Matco welder last week on the tool truck, it's a china knock off of a miller mig welder, $1200 from Matco and less than $500 off the interweb.

rdlsz24
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
I've had my Craftsman sets about 10 years now. All I work on is cars and my garage toys so I use metric almost exclusively. My SAE tools still look new. I like that I can walk into Sears with my broken wrenches (which I have broken a couple when abusing them) and get a new one for free

Rob

DasUberKraut
04-04-2014, 01:20 PM
GearWrench offers free replacement as well.

I forgot to add. My S-K stubby combo wrenches at home are priceless. Some of the most useful tools I've ever owned.

czac
04-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Ahhh just go to Harbor Freight and buy every tool youll ever need for like $50.00.... lol Esp if you don't want the Japanese stuff because I believe HF is all Chinese stuff. lol,lol,lol...

Seriously, the stuff sold at Lowes, I forget the name.. if they are American made, they are pretty nice. I just got a set of the ratcheting wrenches for here at work and compared to my gear wrench set I have at home, they seem much nicer.

Lord Letto 20
04-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Ahhh just go to Harbor Freight and buy every tool youll ever need for like $50.00.... lol Esp if you don't want the Japanese stuff because I believe HF is all Chinese stuff. lol,lol,lol...

Seriously, the stuff sold at Lowes, I forget the name.. if they are American made, they are pretty nice. I just got a set of the ratcheting wrenches for here at work and compared to my gear wrench set I have at home, they seem much nicer.

Kobalt tools.

lokisbuddy
04-04-2014, 08:37 PM
I only use snap on and SK too many busted knuckles from Asian garbage. same with ratchets. screwdrivers and stuff like that whatever is sturdy and on sale. but my sockets and wrenches are all snap on and sk
Edit: also the stuff at lowes not kobalt but Task Force. their ratches are amazing.

250rAL
04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
I've had my Craftsman sets about 10 years now. All I work on is cars and my garage toys so I use metric almost exclusively. My SAE tools still look new. I like that I can walk into Sears with my broken wrenches (which I have broken a couple when abusing them) and get a new one for free

Rob

A few years ago, I bought a Craftsman ratchet that turned out be faulty from the start(the retainer ball wouldn't hold a socket). I took it back and they pulled a box from under the counter and tried to trade it for a piece of crap, rusty rebuilt ratchet. That didn't go over well and they finally agreed to exchange it.

fabiodriven
04-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Yeah Craftsman has just gotten worse and worse over the years. I bought a good size Craftsman kit probably 15 years ago and it carried me for a very long time until I recently scored a huge cache of tools. To this day all of the tools in that kit have been great and the only change I made was an upgrade to some sort of black and smooth anniversary edition rachet or something, also from Craftsman. That rachet is the cat's meow. The kit has 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 rachets and sockets and it's stayed complete and well used for a long time with almost no replacement of anything. On the other hand, Craftsman hasn't made a good screwdriver since probably the early 80's. Pure garbage.

I don't own Gearwrench but I wish I did. I've used a lot of my buddy's Gearwrench stuff and I like it a lot.

xela456
04-04-2014, 10:42 PM
it means alot to me to have a good american made tool. Craftsman stuff i pretty much buy exclusively on ebay to get old stock from usa. I finally bought a nice set of wrenches today spent 247 bucks on a set of the new and improved WRIGHTGRIP wrenches. and these things are nice. I also bought a rail of 1/2 drive proto sockets from 3/8 to 1/4 and nice new proto 5450 long handle ratchet along with the 5449 short handled counterpart my next purchase has got to be a nice spud crescent and im thinking thats gonna be a proto click stop
I like gear wrench stuff as well and as you said i know there are high quality tools made outside the US, however i earn the here and i thats where i'd like to spend it. if i get called to work in china, ill buy some chinese tools

HondaXRider
04-04-2014, 10:46 PM
I bot a craftsman set about 5 years ago and love all the wrenches and socket not to impressed with the ratchets and the screw driver are to soft and the Handel's melt when you get carb cleaner on them. I bot a set of kobalt screw drives and so far realy like them bot not to impressed with anything else of there's.

fabiodriven
04-05-2014, 01:59 AM
I might add, if you compare my Craftsman wrenches from the late 90's with my buddy's from within the last few years, it's apples and oranges. His look more like my "drop forged made in China" garbage wrenches that I throw in my truck for emergencies than anything Craftsman I would buy. I was honestly appalled when I made the comparison.

M.Pargiello
04-05-2014, 08:11 AM
We have just about every big name truck come through. I will not buy from this specific Snap-On salesman for a few reasons. Saw him twice in the past year, He won't answer calls, rarely calls back, and wants to argue warranty claims on overpriced tools. The other salesmen may be great, But I do not buy from Snap-On here.

Mac is here every wednesday. Always has great deals, I buy something probably every 2 weeks. From tool boxes to small bits, It's generally pretty good. I'm almost all Mac at this point. Stay away from their Expert line. It's pretty weak.

I go to harbor freight for disposables mainly. Tools I know I will destroy regardless of quality. Pin pinches, Chisels (I do have a really nice craftsman cold chisel that was my fathers) , saw blades, etc.

trike savior
04-05-2014, 02:01 PM
like my gearwrench set. found a set around Christmas time at sears for $80. had standard and metric, long and stubby, non selector switch type. they are awesome and a huge time saver. My father has the ones that have the selector switch and angled head like a normal wrench. not a huge difference and I do not think it is worth the extra cost. I have yet to break one and have put a breaker tube on them and survived

only downside is I have found there are some situations where the slightly larger head will not fit if bolt is in recessed area. so I would suggest still having a set of regular wrenches.

I like craftsman. I have never broke one and have really put a hurting on some. a few years ago I watched a guy on American hot rod heat one up with a torch and bend it, and then return it for a new one. found myself in a similar situation and they did warranty it for me. 2 thoughts:

1: when doing a warranty return, they do have a box behind counter of refurbished ratchets and other tools they will try to give you first. THEY HAVE TO GIVE A YOU A NEW ONE OFF THE SHELF IF REQUESTED.

2: when buying wrenches: craftsman makes 2 or 3 different standard and metric wrench sets. buy the one that has the bigger wrenches and missing the real small ones. normally the sets are similar if not same price. even if you don't normally use the large wrenches (1 1/4" or 24mm) you do not know when you may need it and it is cheaper to buy the 2 or 3 missing smaller ones versus the one big one. if I remember correctly:
STANDARD set: get the 3/8"-1 1/4" (then need to buy 1/4 5/16 and 11/32 at $6 each, just 1 1/4" is $25) other set they have is 1/4"-1 1/8"
METRIC set. 10-24mm set (only bought 8-9 but might want 6-7 as well depending on what you do) other set is 8-21mm

I cannot stand Craftsman ratchets. too short, uncomfortable and break too often. always need to use breaker bar with them and often break. Harbor freight, (Pittsburgh) makes my favorite ratchet. they are 1/4" drive on one side and 3/8" drive on the other. handle is extendable and has nice comfortable rubber grip. extendable handle has stopped me from busting my knuckles anymore when the bolt comes free and are awesome in tight spaces. for example on front wheel drive engines, when working on accessories, there is enough room to get ratchet on a bolt but not enough room to work wrench, lengthen the ratchet and work easy.

I do not like the craftsman kits because they include a whole bunch of junk u never use and then get less sockets and wrenches. so since I have no use for craftsman ratchets and buy wrenches separately to get all the sizes, this is the socket kit I buy http://www.sears.com/craftsman-299-piece-ultimate-easy-read-socket-set/p-00935299000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 it is by far the most complete socket kit they offer and a decent price. has pretty much every socket you will ever need in 6 and 12 point, short and deep. it includes a lot of large sockets as well, which was necessary for me working on large diesel trucks. if you break a socket there is a backup for it until you replace it. I have had real good luck with craftsman sockets and I use them for impact sockets as well as just general abuse. I have only cracked a few.

lokisbuddy
04-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I have a gearwrench ratchet nut driver set that I love. also the craftsman trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro that's made in mexico is garbage. justl ike I wouldn't buy American made tequila I wont buy Mexican made tools. and yeah I had a old school ratchet from craftsman that sears tried exchanging for a pos I just left with my ratchet and took my gear from the inside of it and had a shop on the base here make me one lol.

Thorpe
04-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Oddly, in one of my wrench drawers, I have ammo....