PDA

View Full Version : Do we really know the value of the 3wheeler??

BB Gun Sniper
04-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Looking for a little feedback and some opinions. I have been buying 3wheelers for about 4 years now. I have read some older threads that discussed the raising prices for parts and riders. To be honest I am probably one of the many buyers out there raising the prices. I am a firm believer that value is what someone will pay. Sure there are a few exceptions out there.

It may be that there is a new era of buyers like myself, I was a teen in the 80's and as close as I got to an ATC was the magazine pictures. Even if my parents had the money the government ban and safety police ruined any and all chances of that! Now I have the funds and have been buying exactly what I want. I wouldn't call myself a collector. I would just say it got real old hanging up posters and reading magazine articles as a kid. Now I want them in my garage. And now to get an unmolested Tecate, 250R or Tri-Z is pretty hard. In fact I have sent guys across the country to get an all original mint trike. (without a doubt I paid too much)

I know I'm not the first doing so, guys have been for awhile. But I bet there are a lot of guys like myself just coming to age in this market and the prices may go far higher. Guys have given me a lot of prices as to what they have paid for in the past, but we may have no idea what these trikes are really worth.

lokisbuddy
04-05-2014, 05:47 PM
we may have no idea what these trikes are really worth.

Is it 7? I bet its 7 or is it 6? nope its gotta be 7.:lol:
I think value is a loose term its really relative. I find a beat to hell ragged out cr250 to be valuable where as most of todays youth fancies the new 450 four strokers and find my cr 250 worthless. so if you find value in something it is only as valuable as you say it is. whether or not you can sell it for the value you place on it is a whole different story.
Case in point.. I value my 84 200x at roughly 3500.00 I know that no one in their right mind will pay that much for it but considering I have 2500 bucks into it plus my labor that is my set value of it.

danbur55
04-05-2014, 07:03 PM
doesnt matter what-- if that is something you want then cost is determined by your wallet not the market. was told the best way to know it was a good deal is when both buyer and seller feel a little bit bloody after the negotiation is done

BB Gun Sniper
04-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Guess your right, there is no book to go off of. Just depends who's buying and selling that day.

kennymp3
04-05-2014, 11:26 PM
I agree on your comment "They are worth what someone will pay"
Even so many exceptions exist to challenge that sentiment....

tri again
04-06-2014, 04:08 AM
I agree on your comment "They are worth what someone will pay"
Even so many exceptions exist to challenge that sentiment....

We were just talking.
If I walked outside to see a brand new 4wd quaaad with a ribbon on it,

say what? 5 - 6 grand? really don't know.
I'd sell it and buy as many 250es /sx's that I could withOUT hesitation.

Our winter mud is so absurd here, anything except trikes get stuck and I mean stuff you cannot even hope to walk on.

What's my 87 250es worth? enough to buy another one where everything works?
2500?3000? priceless to me for sure as there is simply NO way to get around without one.

tsutton515
04-08-2014, 06:18 PM
We were just talking.
If I walked outside to see a brand new 4wd quaaad with a ribbon on it,

say what? 5 - 6 grand? really don't know.
I'd sell it and buy as many 250es /sx's that I could withOUT hesitation.

Our winter mud is so absurd here, anything except trikes get stuck and I mean stuff you cannot even hope to walk on.

What's my 87 250es worth? enough to buy another one where everything works?
2500?3000? priceless to me for sure as there is simply NO way to get around without one.
Or if you have the same 250es your grandpa bought new in 1985 and has been in my family since. To me it that is priceless.

czac
04-13-2014, 07:03 PM
No value, they are all worthless. Trikes aren't worth anything today, in fact, gather up all those useless trikes and send them to me, i will take them all from you guys so you can start buying those soon to be worthless quads! Lol,lol,lol...

sleeplessknight
09-13-2014, 11:18 PM
When I was 16 I bought an atc 200s. It was in bad shape. My Dad and I fixed it up together. A short time later I bought an atc 185s. It was in great shape. So a few months later My Dad went and bought a brand new 87 250es Big Red. Last model year for the three wheelers. We had a blast riding for the next several years. As I got older and got married I sold both of my atc's but my Dad held onto his. Just a few weeks ago I dug it out of his barn where it has been sitting for the last 15 years and began restoring it. It is in awesome shape, the plastic is near perfect. So what is it worth sitting all tore apart on my front porch? To some, not much. To me it's priceless. And when I get it running again? Well I'm not sure if it can be worth more than priceless but if it can, it will be.

Karhu
09-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Seriously, I'd say that a honest trike is priceless! But in fact these days you buy a rip off here in the Netherlands. Ppl tell you they are in mint condition but in fact they are beaten up when you show up there. Then its a 30yr old machine does the trick and make you as a trike enthusiasts buy it anyway :P

Currently I own a Yamaha Tri-z 250 and I'm restoring it back to its original state. Will. I ever sell it? Probably not ;) It's just priceless to have something as great as a mint condition trike :D