PDA

View Full Version : Tractor dropped a cylinder = help

dustrunner
04-05-2014, 08:44 PM
1950 ferguson to -30 similar to a ford 8n... Plowing snow and dropped # 2 cylinder,,,, compression tests to 60 psi in all 4 cylinders.. Installed new pluds, wires, and dist. Cap still not firing all the time..if ya run it wide open it runs good... But only fires once in a while otherwise...i ran it for a bit then pulled the plug and its wet ?

Chopsaw
04-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Wet because its not firing ? Can you tell if its oil or fuel ? Did you replace the rotor ? Sometimes carbon tracks will cancel a cylinder but , most times that's in the cap , but I have seen it on rotors . I don't know tractors so maybe ,,, I don't know .

dustrunner
04-05-2014, 09:59 PM
yes , rotor is new and its fuel on the plug .

Chopsaw
04-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Was it just running rough ? or backfire , or pop out the carb ? How did you know it was the 2nd cylinder ? If the compression is good , and its gas fouled ( only on number 2 ), you replaced the plug , wire , cap and rotor . ( points / condenser ? ) I've had the bushing in the distributer wear causing enough wobble to cancel a cylinder . To me that might make sense since you say at high rpm it smooths out . Pull the cap and see if you can detect any slop in the shaft , or in the rotor it self . Also look at the cam on the distributer , make sure its not worn at the number two location . Just throwin ideas at ya .