PDA

View Full Version : Tractor dropped a cylinder -

dustrunner
04-05-2014, 08:47 PM
1950 ferguson to -30 similar to a ford 8n... Plowing snow and dropped # 2 cylinder,,,, compression tests to 60 psi in all 4 cylinders.. Installed new pluds, wires, and dist. Cap still not firing all the time..if ya run it wide open it runs good... But only fires once in a while otherwise...i ran it for a bit then pulled the plug and its wet ?

tripledog
04-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Bad coil, maybe? 60 psi seems a bit low for a compression reading, but I may be (and probably am) wrong.

danbur55
04-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Maybe wiped a love off cam. Autos seem to act like that

CRAZY70MAN
04-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Send Kiser here on the boards a message...........he is a tractor nut ..............

atc007
04-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Should have rings and a head job. I have 2 Massey Harris 30's,3,,,44's ,1 diesel:), 2 333's,and 1,,444. Also have a Massey Ferguson 35,,Fergie she is affectionately called in the family. Anyhow,she is WAY low on compression on 2 also .. So bad she fouls plugs with oil. NO smoke,,just stinks like it's way rich.. When this started MANY years ago. I simply stepped up the heat range of the plug. Unlike a R,,you are in NO danger of burning a piston lol ! I would go up a couple heat ranges. Also,you can try pulling the plug wire off the plug to make it arc. This usually helps a LOT. None of ours have rubber boots,so it's a very quick,easy fix. If you're gonna keep it and use it. Pull the hood,,the tank,,EMPTY it 1st!! Pop the head off,drop the pan,and you can hone the block right in the tractor. Did it for my neighbor 25 years ago on a Ford 9N.. Still runs like new. Just ringed it.

tri again
04-05-2014, 11:44 PM
1950 ferguson to -30 similar to a ford 8n... Plowing snow and dropped # 2 cylinder,,,, compression tests to 60 psi in all 4 cylinders.. Installed new pluds, wires, and dist. Cap still not firing all the time..if ya run it wide open it runs good... But only fires once in a while otherwise...i ran it for a bit then pulled the plug and its wet ?

does the distributor shaft wiggle side to side?
any change with the choke?

dustrunner
04-07-2014, 09:32 AM
distributor doesn't wiggle and no change with the choke. should the compression test be done when cold or the engine warmed up ? who makes a quality ring set im keeping her..

atc007
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Ironically my tractor experience was "back when" We simply trusted our LOCAL farm machinery dealers to make their 30% and got all our parts through them.. I would check with Napa,and your local tractor dealer.. The older the better. Heck,I would check Ebay too. Fun project!!

czac
04-09-2014, 01:09 PM

sounds like its un fixable... better just give it away... and to show you im a good guy, I'll take it so you don't have to worry about it cluttering up your property...

(God I want one of these so bad!!!) lol