PDA

View Full Version : Not a Good Week Gets a Little Better....

DohcBikes
04-05-2014, 10:07 PM
As if my classmate Kyler getting killed on his bike wasn't enough.

I don't know what it is guys, but I feel comfortable sharing some of the personal things in my life, because this group really knows how to show support in the rough times. Must be the trike-minded thinking.....

A good friend of mine, been friends for almost 20 years, been roommates, are still brothers, hanged himself today.

He did not die. He was deprived of oxygen for several minutes, he is in a "stable" coma?....what that means I do not know.

I know what he did was selfish, and we can worry about that later. For now, I would just like to ask those that pray to put in a word for Dustin today, tomorrow, beyond.

Thank you.

lokisbuddy
04-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear that bro I wish you all well. to give a little hope. When I was in prison I hung myself and was in a coma for 3 weeks and I suffered no long term damage except a lot of regret. And yeah it is a selfish way out but don't judge him too harshly only he knows what is going through his mind, just be there for support when he gets better and show him what he has to live for.

stoshu
04-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Couple years back my son woke from a 2 month coma. 18 years old and now a quad. He begged us to end it for him. Hardest time of my life. He's doing great now, glad I never ended his pain. would have cost me 5 to 10 in Canada, NOT WORTH IT. He starts university in the fall and talks to high school kids about his experience through our government run insurance company. Changed our families lives forever, but you learn to live for the small stuff. Still remember his first words after they took his breathing tube out of his neck "I need a effin steak". Whatever pain your friend is going through I hope for the best. Life is too short. DON't TEXT AND DRIVE.

DohcBikes
04-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Sorry to hear that bro I wish you all well. to give a little hope. When I was in prison I hung myself and was in a coma for 3 weeks and I suffered no long term damage except a lot of regret. And yeah it is a selfish way out but don't judge him too harshly only he knows what is going through his mind, just be there for support when he gets better and show him what he has to live for.Wow.

Talk about perspective. This is exactly what I mean, thank you so much for saying this bro. I would click thanks several times on your post if I could. My friends will read what you have written. Thank you so much.

I will know more tomorrow.

DohcBikes
04-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Couple years back my son woke from a 2 month coma. 18 years old and now a quad. He begged us to end it for him. Hardest time of my life. He's doing great now, glad I never ended his pain. would have cost me 5 to 10 in Canada, NOT WORTH IT. He starts university in the fall and talks to high school kids about his experience through our government run insurance company. Changed our families lives forever, but you learn to live for the small stuff. Still remember his first words after they took his breathing tube out of his neck "I need a effin steak". Whatever pain your friend is going through I hope for the best. Life is too short. DON't TEXT AND DRIVE.I can't even imagine. Always seems when things are going just fine and dandy that these things go wrong.

Its hard to focus on regular stuff with all of this going on.

Thanks for the support guys.

tri again
04-05-2014, 11:54 PM
I grew up in a town just outside NYC.
Small town, say 400 kids in the HS.
I remember seeing the newspaper calling it the
highest suicide rate in the country.

None of my friends directly suicide really but TONS of high risk behavior..mostly accidents
but by the time I got out of HS we had lost 34 kids?

Hopefully your school or town has some sort of support for the
'kids' and people to access easily.

My heart goes out to all who suffer.

DohcBikes
04-06-2014, 12:39 AM
My classmate from MMI was killed here in phoenix, unfortunately it happens often, but the school does have a support group. Thousands of Bikers.

My friend Dustin is in my hometown Kearney Nebraska.

Our circle of friends' history is unfortunately ridden with tragedy. I won't even get started on that right now. Noones life is all sunshine but I know I've had enough clouds for a while here.

A little sleep and a New Day tomorrow....praying for the best.

El Camexican
04-06-2014, 02:24 AM
I sure hope it works out for him. Make sure to support him when he comes to.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-06-2014, 10:15 AM
I know you and I have had our technical disagreements here recently, but I don't harbor any grudges or hard feelings over it. It is simply what it is and it's not big thing next to life's big picture..

I say this so you understand I am truly sorry to hear of the tough times you are living here lately. My wife had a schoolmate attempt to hang himself several years ago and it was a similar case. Prayers that he makes a full recovery, regardless of the odds.

DohcBikes
04-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Absolutely understood Ride red and Thank You. You're a solid guy and you don't get personal when we disagree. If I did not respect your opinion and value the info you have, I would not respond to you. You're on my friends list for a good reason:) Obviously.....

I have good news this morning. Through the night, his seizures subsided.

Overnight brain scans came back normal, and his CT scan came back normal,so the doctor is using words such as "Normal" and "Great"......not sure if that's 100% right but we are going to get to talk to Dustin again!! I'm so relieved and exhausted.

I just got another update as I am typing, here is a copy and paste from my brother

From Mark and Marc...(Dustins step dad and brother)

" he is responding very well to the test so no paralyzation of any kind. The swelling stopped and under control. So things really have turned around and look very positive".

El, thank you buddy, we were all pretty angry yesterday, and I don't think everyone was willing to support him.

Lokisbuddys post was extremely impactful in this time of confusion.... it really helped us wrap our heads around the bigger picture, and realize that we were also being selfish. Now I know why I posted this personal tragedy, I NEEDED that perspective. Thank you again Justin........

Our group has made a pact to forgive and support him 100%, so we can have another 20 years.

trike savior
04-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Hope things get better for him and you. They say death comes in 3s. At least he cheated it. Definately has a long road ahead of him and will need support. Thoughts are with ya man.

atc007
04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes,,most times,, for a lot of us. We damn sure don't like it. And we damn sure can't understand it. We just have to do the best we can in the face of it all. And see,sometimes years and DECADES later,,WHY,it happened.. Obviously,it is NO coincidence you ended up posting this Damon to hear Lokis story. It never ceases to amaze me some of the deep waters members here have had to wade through. But come out stronger than ever :). You know you have my best thoughts and prayers for all to turn out well Damon. That report of the swelling has stopped is GOOD news! And Stoshu,Thanx for sharing that. I am so sorry your family had to endure that . But it sounds like your Son and the rest of you have turned a massive shot into a positive! And I am sorry,,I literally laughed out loud at him waking up from a coma and asking for a steak.. !! THAT is one Tough dude. God Bless you all...Puts losing an 87 X in perspective fast doesn't it Damon.. Take care..

lokisbuddy
04-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Lokisbuddys post was extremely impactful in this time of confusion.... it really helped us wrap our heads around the bigger picture, and realize that we were also being selfish. Now I know why I posted this personal tragedy, I NEEDED that perspective. Thank you again Justin........

Our group has made a pact to forgive and support him 100%, so we can have another 20 years.
That's what family is for bro after all we are a sort of family here..

slashfan7964
04-06-2014, 12:49 PM
It'll be a long road to recovery but I know what its like to be in those positions. Lost a lot of friends over the last few years as others that will never recover.

All I can say is to be there for him bro. That's all you can do.

czac
04-08-2014, 01:02 PM
I had a couple I know who took their own lives... its sad and totally frustrating to think they were in so much pain or felt so bad yet denied anyone close to them the opportunity to help them out. I don't like to think that its a cowards way out or a selfish way out, I look at it as more of a misguided way out, like a bad judgment call or not to well thought out exit strategy. I mean, I will never know what it feels like to be so unhappy or in so much pain that death seems like a good choice, all I can think is, why death? Especially if the person isn't in physical pain...? once you're dead that's it, its final, there's no sitting back and saying, "Ahhhh that feels so much nicer now"! its just nothing... Hopefully your Buddy comes out of this stronger and with a better outlook on life and things than he had before he went in to it. Here's hoping he gets better and finds a different path than what he just chose.

sledcrazyinCT
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Glad to hear he will have support of people who know him and that he did not succeed in his suicide attempt. I hope he can get the help and support to recover from this. Thoughts and prayers to him, his family and you in the weeks ahead

IronBear
04-08-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he will have the love and support from his friends and family to get better.

lokisbuddy
04-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Just tell him like my family told me. " It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem"

R.J.M.
04-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend, there is a long road ahead coming but it sounds like he has one hell of a support group to help him through this. I've been down this road myself with a couple friends but they wasn't so lucky. My thoughts and prayers are with u brother.

atc007
04-08-2014, 09:55 PM
How's he doing Damon? How are you?

DohcBikes
04-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks for asking Bill.

I'm kinda froze for now, just selling parts and working on a trike build and holding my breath on the news. I don't change much during tragedy, or so I've been told.

They told us they would try to wake him today, they did, he was responsive, and then they put him back in to a coma....I dont know why.

Now they are telling us they will try to fully wake him tomorrow, so we're just waiting. Its torture.

Thank you for the responses guys, and don't feel like there's any story or sentiment that would not be welcome....its an awkward situation to be in but all this perspective and just the general "ya man, we've been there, we get it" is much appreciated.

Thanks Guys...should know more tomorrow.

DohcBikes
04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Copy and paste of the text I just received.....

From Sikes. "He is awake and back to his asshole self!!! He is very confused but no brain damage. "

:)

I will be updated as to what happens next soon, hopefully he gets help and his outlook on life is dramatically different from here on out.

Im very glad to be a member of 3 Wheeler World, its something that isn't really describable to others.

Noone here had to care, thanks from Dustin for doing it anyway:p

briano
04-09-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm glad your friend is ok. I just want to say, make sure he gets help and stay close to him as a friend and someone to talk to. 12 years ago a good friend that hung out with my group of hooligans wasn't so lucky. Many times he played the suicide card and many times he had help and access to the best friends he could ever have. More than once someone took the gun away or whatever was going to be his way out. One night he left a party and came back with his deer rifle and walked back into a house full of his close friends and did himself in right in front of everyone that helped him over the years.

So stay strong for him and kick his trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro once in a while if you have to. He needs to know there is more to live for than to die for. It's a sh!tty feeling having to deal with a suicide death, my favorite grandfather shot himself when I was a senior in high school and I'm 36 now and I still wonder what could be so bad. I think about him every day of my life and I would do anything to have him back. Like someone else said, it's a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

atc007
04-12-2014, 10:23 AM
That is great news Damon! Live on!