PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki identification help

jenndnn3
01-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi, I just recently aquired a couple of rm80's, but have been incredibly unsuccessful in identifying their model years. Now in all my searches I have what I believe is just a frame #'s but they are not actually the vin number. (is that a true statement?) Perhaps some of you can tell me where it is they hide this vin #. I also have engine #'s, would either the frame # and engine # help in deciphering their age, if so how? I need this so that I can order the right year parts and manual. thx Jen

J.D.
01-06-2004, 01:00 PM
In most cases the frame # is the VIN #, if it's located on the steering neck/stem.

Captainuno
01-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Pics would help if you have any, I owned a couple of Suzuki's back in the 80's, maybe some of us can ID the year by sight.

Kirk

jenndnn3
01-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Do any of you know if Suzuki indeed gave 3 seperate #'s? A frame, a vin and an engine #? Do you know if all those, or any of those are suppossed to match? I think Im gonna try and get some answers from the local dealer, but am not holding my breath. I have isolated it by looks to 80-84ish. We are in the process of tearing down, due to needing new clutch and kicker shaft so I am not so sure picts would be helpful. I have searched and watched ebay..to isloate similar bikes of same style, and have found this websight, buts still am unable to track its model year...http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzuki/all_suzuki_models.html

Thx Jen

TimSr
01-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Usually the motor number and the frame number match, and this same number is also on the tag riveted to the gooseneck that your doesnt have. This is the VIN number, and your dealer will be able to identify the year from it. A picture of the gas tank would probably be the best clue for visual ID.

jenndnn3
01-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Thx Guys got a 1980.... Ah now we can get busy :?

timex69
01-09-2004, 10:30 PM
hey man
i had a 1983 RM80 i just took to the junk yard...the old RM'S are poison i reccomend keeping a close eye on the water pump seals etc...they love to blow and get the coolant in with the oil. Before you get a piston and rings make sure the crank doesnt need a rebuild as well..i ordered a whole top end rebuild and got the cylindered board and found out their was a crack in the bottom of the crank case and it spewed oil everywhere and the crank needed rebuilt...also if the rear shock is gas make sure its not blown..mine would hold gas for about 20 minute and leak it all out. I have a brand new pipe for it...its nothing special but if u need it i'd sell it for $20 canadian plus shipping

al_timex

jenndnn3
01-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Oh then this is good news for me, It is not water cooled and I am running the very old duel shocks....I might be interested in the exhaust, if it will fit? Pity you took the engine to junkyard I could use parts out of it....I am really sorry you had such bad luck with yours. We are splitten so I will be watching for everything you mentioned.....Our kicker shaft is stripped. Thx Jennifer

TimSr
01-09-2004, 11:31 PM
I think Ive got an old RM80 but I think its just a bare rolling chassis. I can take a look if you think you may have need of something.

timex69
01-10-2004, 10:05 AM
LOL man u got dual suspention those are beastly...i had them on my 1983 XR80...my kickstarter was also stripped when i bought my bike and some idiot welded it on. I hope u get it running,,,i never drove a suzuki bike trailprotrailpro and i was hopeing u could tell me what im missing :P. Pitty i ddint keep my engine i had a brand new piston rings and a mint cylinder i coulda sold ya for pennies. I wanted to keep it but i had no more space.

al

jenndnn3
01-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Tim, thank you very much for the offer but I have 2 and a half rolling chassis so I think I am good there. Mostly gonna need the engine/s parts I think. I have 1 and .1 engines (the second one is in real bad shape). Both with bad kickers, sheesh boys how hard are you kicken these things? Seems to be a common issue. These are very new to me, But there is always room for learning. We plan on fixin this up nice so that we can enjoy for whole family. Did I mention we got the little mini 50 also. My little gal is just giddy right now, but we wont let her ride until better weather.

Timex, your breakin my heart. But that is ok. I need to clean out the remainder of the 70 stuff, and clean my desk before I get started on this, but I must admit the hubby really wanted to ride this bike.

Thx Jen

Captainuno
01-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey Jen
My son's first bike was a 1980 RM 80. Let me tell you, those bikes really rip. It was the dependable bike that always ran. We sold it about a year ago to a friend of my son who is still riding it. It's a classic.

Happy Trails
Kirk