PDA

View Full Version : Rocks are Hard

El Camexican
04-06-2014, 08:50 PM
After an extensive interactive study I have concluded that rocks are indeed deserving of their reputation of being hard. In fact my study concludes that they may even be harder than previously thought.

Rather that rely on laboratory rocks to perform my tests I instead opted to travel to their natural habitat so as to observe them in an undisturbed setting. After traveling for a few hours searching for just the right rocks on which to conduct testing I finally arrived to an off camber, downhill, left sweeping mountainside curve that was covered with rocks of every imaginable shape and size.

I had been traveling at a fairly brisk pace in the hope that I would be able to get a good look at them before they spooked and scattered. I got lucky! They were exactly where they needed to be for my planned test, so I wasted no time in low-siding my bike into the herd and thrusting my hardness measuring instrument (my body) into them.

Having exposed my shoulder, hip & elbow to the rocks I immediately concluded (as the title gives away) that rocks are indeed hard, very hard and proceeded to ride another 120 minutes back to civilization to look for a doctor who would be willing to verify my findings. He concurred and added that the pain should subside in a couple weeks. I’ll post photos of the test results tomorrow if I can get to my camera. The good news is that the parts I can still feel (my part of my hip has no feeling) only hurt when I walk, lay in one place or breathe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q37xJtuQ24w

trike savior
04-06-2014, 08:59 PM
lol on the write up. sorry to hear they got you. sounds like you did not break anything so that is good. ride home must have been adrenaline filled fun. hope you heal up quick.

atc007
04-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I've got some news for ya bud.. We're gettin too old for this stuff :).. think we had this talk last week! I hope you have soaked in something by now,and heal well,,,,,,again !! LMAO at you,,I know I shouldn't..

ebaccm26
04-06-2014, 09:34 PM
I've worked on similar studies in the past but have never been able to come to such conclusive results. Glad to hear the damage to your testing equipment was only temporary in nature.

RapidRick
04-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Glad to hear that the experiment was only temporarily debilitating, and that you are on the mend.

I've got some news for ya bud.. We're gettin too old for this stuff :).. t

That I've heard at several times, or was that hearing myself. LOL

jeswinehart
04-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Oh this is gonna be SO good :) Blessed are those who humor !

Bren_downe
04-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Excuse me professor Camexican, but didn't you do a similar study on "wet asphalt"?
Same conclusions if I'm not mistaken.
Good luck, feel better.

danbur55
04-07-2014, 07:00 AM
if as being a human isnt enough of a struggle, we cant help but think we can outsmart mother nature! sounds like you may need more than a couple aspirin and call back in the morning rest up, get well

atc007
04-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Excuse me professor Camexican, but didn't you do a similar study on "wet asphalt"?
Same conclusions if I'm not mistaken.
Good luck, feel better.
He has studied snow,ice,desert,rocks,triple digit barrelrolls/cart wheels for GM. Rock testing for KTM,and the list goes on. And his silence hear speaks volumes. ..There ARE ways to have lots of fun at our age without going up and over the edge of that envelope :) Hopefully the Docs taking good care of him :)

briano
04-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I did a similar test about 8 years ago, but mine was with animals. I was ripping on my KTM 380, really moving down a two track dirt road when I could see a rabbit in the distance. The thought crossed my mind, how would it feel to hit a small woodland creature at a high rate of speed on a dirt bike. Would it be like hitting a rock or would you be able to feel a wobble, deciding I didn't want to subject such a nice little critter to the test I eased off the throttle a bit and the rabbit scampered away. I roll back on the throttle with a rooster tail flying and, WAM, a damn deer runs out of the bush right into the left side of me. The head hit the forks, the body swung around and bashed my leg into the engine and believe it or not I never fell. It took a few feet to slow down as I was going almost full speed, I come to a stop to check my leg which is so swollen I thought my boot was going to rip apart. I got my laces loosened up and went back to check on the deer, well the deer didn't make it, I could not believe I had actually hit and killed a deer with a dirt bike.

Nothing on me was broken, just banged up but the bike had a bit of damage, broken plastics and bent radiator. I never rode a bike after that day. I've had to many close calls on 2 wheels.

Glad to hear you will be ok too. Sorry but I had to chuckle at your misfortune but you can tell a pretty good story.

rdlsz24
04-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Concrete, blacktop and rocks are undefeated all time vs skin and bones

Rob

lokisbuddy
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Interesting find but I somehow doubt your credibility as a scientist... Tell me sir if you are a true scientist have you ever tested the effects of brake cleaner on a fresh wound??

El Camexican
04-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Interesting find but I somehow doubt your credibility as a scientist... Tell me sir if you are a true scientist have you ever tested the effects of brake cleaner on a fresh wound??

Are you kidding? That’s trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro science 101 my friend. Brake cleaner, gas, paint thinner, acetone, and lime juice and all tested many times. I think brake cleaner is just a little hotter than lacquer thinner, but it's too close to call.

El Camexican
04-07-2014, 10:40 PM
33 hours later and all I can say is wow, what a day. After an injection to bring the swelling down and a prescription for anti-inflammatories I still woke up felling like I was hit by a train.

Somehow it hurts from my right ear to my left foot, I’m having some spasms in my lower back and my urine was suspiciously dark orange this morning (a bit of a thrill for a KTM guy like me) but subsequent tinkles were fairly clear, so until is swirling red I’m going to blame the color on the meds.

The bruises are starting to surface and I think there are a few that I may be able to patent and sell to the Crayola company. Still a large patch of my hip that has no feeling whatsoever and it’s spreading, but just below it is a spot that burns like fire when I lift my left arm (that’s swollen up today as well) or push on my ribs some 12” away???

Thanks for all your well wishes and smart ass remarks. I’ll be there to return the favor when your turns come.:lol:

atc007
04-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Feel better bud...

MNhondaguy
04-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Well you made it home, that's always a plus.

It was a nice weekend and time for the sport bikes to make an entrance. An "acquaintance" of mine who doesn't have a lot of experience, is a speed demon, and on a zx10r (way too much bike, even for me) did a similar experiment, but with snow followed by sloppy field mud. Lets just say a foot of soft snow is rather hard at 80+ mph. Entered first corner at 120, knew the second corner was a no go, on the brakes, too late. 6 foot drop into snow. Hard enough to shear collar bone, dislocate shoulder, and puncture a lung. Noggin was good, thanks to the brain bucket. I think he might be scared away from sport bikes.

El Camexican
04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
2 hours VS 45 hours

lokisbuddy
04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Damn brother you sound like your in rough shape. All I can say is feel better soon man.

bkm
04-08-2014, 06:06 PM
I've got one word for you, tequila, and lots of it.

JasonB
04-09-2014, 12:57 PM
good luck man, nothing sucks like limping around from a good wreck. atleast you and your machine made the ride back. Drink lots of water and take it slow!

El Camexican
04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
My arm is green today, but I can move it a lot better now. I should be fully ripened in a couple more days.:)
Noticed yesterday that all the knobs on the side of my front tire are either torn or missing. They were there the morning of the ride, but not now. Guess that's what did me in.

atc007
04-10-2014, 08:57 PM
My arm is green today, but I can move it a lot better now. I should be fully ripened in a couple more days.:)
Noticed yesterday that all the knobs on the side of my front tire are either torn or missing. They were there the morning of the ride, but not now. Guess that's what did me in.

Too bad it wasn't a pretty girl in this crash........

El Camexican
04-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Too bad it wasn't a pretty girl in this crash........

I was afraid all the skin would bring out the perves!:lol:

El Camexican
04-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Well you made it home, that's always a plus.

It was a nice weekend and time for the sport bikes to make an entrance. An "acquaintance" of mine who doesn't have a lot of experience, is a speed demon, and on a zx10r (way too much bike, even for me) did a similar experiment, but with snow followed by sloppy field mud. Lets just say a foot of soft snow is rather hard at 80+ mph. Entered first corner at 120, knew the second corner was a no go, on the brakes, too late. 6 foot drop into snow. Hard enough to shear collar bone, dislocate shoulder, and puncture a lung. Noggin was good, thanks to the brain bucket. I think he might be scared away from sport bikes.

How's your buddy doing?

briano
04-10-2014, 11:27 PM
The purple on your hip is a great color, also I like the yellow highlights on the lower ribs, it really brings out the darker colors. Next pics could you be hanging onto a brass pole with some dollar bills tucked into your undies?

El Camexican
04-11-2014, 08:53 AM
The purple on your hip is a great color, also I like the yellow highlights on the lower ribs, it really brings out the darker colors. Next pics could you be hanging onto a brass pole with some dollar bills tucked into your undies?

Those pics already exist, but they were taken prior to the bruises.

aldochina
04-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Glad to see your out riding!! Not as glad as I am to see your Ok, and your sense of humor is intact! Heal up Pal!!