PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda 350X

14U2NV
04-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I just purchased an 85 Honda 350X, fixing to change the oil and filter and need to know what is the best oil to run.

DohcBikes
04-09-2014, 02:01 PM
The search function will provide hours of entertainment on this subject.

I use Rotella Triple Protection in my wet clutched bikes.

Valvoline ATV is also a popular choice of members on the forum.

JasonB
04-09-2014, 03:10 PM
whatever you use, make sure it is set up for ATV use. our older motors need oil with OUT detergents in them because the modern oils will damage the top end components

sh68cobra
04-10-2014, 12:35 AM
I run castrol T4 in mine. It works well for me.

BOB MARLIN
04-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Rotella or Honda motorcyle oil. Don't put synthetic in a old motor. I did , it lead to a rebuild in one week end.

six
04-10-2014, 09:18 AM
I have been running the valvoline atv oil for as long as it's been on the shelf and i have never had a problem with any of my 350x and i have 4 of them.

86125m
04-10-2014, 01:21 PM
I agree honda motor cycle oil made for wet clutch systems.

14U2NV
04-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Thank you very much for the information guys, this will help me make a wise decision.

wonderboy
04-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Just a heads up (sorry, no oil recommendation here) on your oil filter. Make sure to pay attention to which way the filter goes. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the rubber seal / hole in the filter goes to the outside against the cover. There have been stories on the forum here about people putting it in backwards (without thinking, it makes sense to put it in the other way). Backwards is bad.

Also, a little dab of sticky grease will help hold the spring in place while you install the filter.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case this filter system is new to you.

dmfaulks85
04-14-2014, 12:53 AM
I use Honda HP4, good stuff

tvpierce
04-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Don't put synthetic in a old motor. I did , it lead to a rebuild in one week end.

What brand of oil? What weight. Rebuild of what? (engine?... transmission?)

Synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil in every respect. There may be additives in a brand/weight of oil that make it incompatible with a wet clutch system... but given the same additive package, in the same weight oil; a synthetic oil will always outperform a conventional oil.

What you want to stay away from is oil labeled "Energy Conserving". These oils contain an additive package that is not compatible with wet clutches. Most Energy Conserving oils have a viscosity rating at or below 30 weight (0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30) -- at least I've never seen one with a viscosity rating higher than 30. I've never seen a 15W-40 or a 20W-50 with an Energy Conserving rating.

EDIT TO ADD: Energy Conserving oils come in both conventional and synthetic versions my most/all manufacturers.

BOB MARLIN
04-14-2014, 09:18 AM
It was MOTUL synthetic. The rebuild had nothing to do the synthetic oil not performing, but rather OVER performing. High end synthetics like MOTUL are very good at cleaning gunk and deposits out of an engine. My engine was still all original and the synthetic oil washed out whatever was stil keeping the valve seals sealed and turned it into a oil burning smoke monster. So I guess my point is (and it is just my opinion) if it is an old motor and it doesnt burn oil now, then stick with a coventional oil.

DohcBikes
04-14-2014, 10:33 AM
I dont know about all this synthetic talk, all i know is that you better be right, cuz barnetts back soon:lol:

This thread will be nice little welcome back gift for him.:D

dougspcs
04-14-2014, 02:07 PM
I dont know about all this synthetic talk, all i know is that you better be right, cuz barnetts back soon:lol:

This thread will be nice little welcome back gift for him.:D

I guess I haven't been around much lately..did Barnett get a little involuntary vacation time??

On the oil question..I personally love to keep all my trikes OEM. Factory filters and oil all the way..

Rocky Mountain is where I shop and Honda GN4 is $20/gal and the OEM filters are about $5 each, plugs are $3 each..about $100 spring and fall gets all my rides freshened and ready..

If Honda feels its good enough to put their name on it and it's a cheap as any other quality oil then why go shopping for alternates?

Buy the Honda stuff!!

DohcBikes
04-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Just want to say for those that just saw that, my edit button is still working flawlessly.

Yes Doug, he was banned.

Honda makes great products for their own machines, can't go wrong there!

barnett468
04-16-2014, 05:34 AM
the modern oils will damage the top end componentsHello jasonb;

I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to be accurate and this is incorrect, please post a link to where you got this information.

whatever you use, make sure it is set up for ATV use.Please explain why.

our older motors need oil with OUT detergents in themThis is incorrect, please post a link to where you got this information. They do need detergents. The oil Honda recommends has detergent in it. If an oil has no detergent it will typically, if not always, say so on the bottle and typically be rated SA or SB. See links for non detergent oil at the bottom of post.

From page 2-1 in the free online manual below.

API Service Classification SE or SF

These are both detergent oils.

http://www.atcmanuals.info/

Email Valvoline tech in the link below for more info if desired. Or just call them up TOLL FREE at 1-800-832-6825.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-business/contact-us

The following is copied from the Valvoline kink further below.

Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil advantages:

High RPM, High Temperature Performance
Wet Clutch Protection
Maximum Horsepower
Minimal Wear
Advanced Cleaning
Shear Stability
Film Strength
Excellent Corrosion Protection
Meets or exceeds manufacturer’s warranty requirements
Provides exceptional protection for ATVs
For use in 4-Stroke Motorcycles, including Cruisers and Off-Road Motorcycles
Special cleaning agents and dispersants to help prevent deposit formation and keep engines clean

ZDDP = 1120 ppm.

Valvoline ATV 4 Stroke Oil Advantages:

Extreme Condition Performance
Wet Clutch Protection
Excellent Corrosion Resistance
Maximum Horsepower
Minimal Wear
Corrosion Resistance - Advanced additives help protect against water, deposits and other corrosive materials to keep engines clean.

ZDDP 1020 ppm.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/

Here’s just a few non detergent labeled oils.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cbl-4005u?seid=srese1&gclid=CPr6vqrL5L0CFQIT7AodJhoAuA

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/179653/Warren-Distribution-Accel-Non-Detergent-Motor-Oil---SAE-30-1-Quart.htm

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ACCEL-Non-Detergent-30W-Motor-Oil-1-qt/17134765

http://www.smittysinc.net/images/products/preview/sus41.jpg

http://cloudfront.zorotools.com/product/large/1UBY5_AS01.JPG

Here's my avatar. I named her Bacon. Isn’t she cute?

Hi, my name is Bacon Aren't I cute.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDheK_NT7A9cIdJnV_1Pg7lGbLDWNu5 AVQnY60FToKElt_Wip72n1nHA

:beer

barnett468
04-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil in every respect. There may be additives in a brand/weight of oil that make it incompatible with a wet clutch system... but given the same additive package, in the same weight oil; a synthetic oil will always outperform a conventional oil.Hello tvpierce;

Hope your bike is still running well and you keep a screen over your muffler to keep the squirrels from filling it with nuts, lol. The following is just some general info I thought was interesting. I’m not trying to pick on you.

Below is a test done on several brands of synthetic and synthetic blend oils. Mobil 1 full synthetic, which has 1100 ppm of ZDDP in it did not fare so well. It actually lost out to Mobil 1 Synth S which has synthetic and conventional oil and only 800 ppm of ZDDP. The Mobil 1 0w-40 is slightly thinner than the Synth S 10w-40 and other than the ZDDP quantities, some of the exact contents are unknown.

The Mobil 1 Synth S, outperformed other full synthetics although their viscosities were slightly lighter.

The Penzoil GT synthetic blend 10w-40, outperformed both Mobil 1 products although it's ZDDP level may be 2816 ppm.

That being said, this test does show a large difference between the anti wear properties of various synthetic and synthetic oils as packaged. Based on this info, it seems as though there may be other instances where a “good” straight conventional oil might provide more anti wear protection than a “cheap” full synthetic.

I also find it interesting how synthetic oil is supposed to provide more anti wear protection than conventional oil because it is so “slippery” yet Mobil 1, who is the biggest name in synthetic oil uses relatively high quantities of ZDDP.

This particular comparison test clearly proves that regarding Mobil 1, conventional oil appears to be more resistant to wear than synthetic even though the Mobil 1 Synth S had less ZDDP in it.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

dougspcs
04-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Barnett, 1st welcome back..hope you had a good time out.

2nd, the OP simply asked what oil and filter was good for his trike!!

What would you use is helpful? Regurgitated mounds of technical data is not..

Once in a while take a day off from being Barnett and try to be a normal person. Your opinion would be more valued in the general mind of the group(and stop you getting time outs)!!

barnett468
04-16-2014, 11:26 AM
I just purchased an 85 Honda 350X, fixing to change the oil and filter and need to know what is the best oil to run.

Hello

I just noticed my post did not include a recommendation for oil. I wrote my post on Microsoft word and guess I didn’t scroll down far enough when I copied it or something.

Anyway, if it’s like over 60 deg f, I often use Valvoline motorcycle oil. It is 20w-50 which is slightly higher than the mfg’s recommendation is for your bike, however, as long as you don’t use it is weather around 35 degrees and below it will not harm your engine and likely won’t then anyway.

In temps below that I occasionally use Valvoline ATV oil simply because it is 10w-40.

These oils are non synthetic and have high levels of ZDDP as described in one of my previous posts.

There are many other oils I think are good. Brad Penn is one of them and regular Honda oil, however, the Valvoline is also one of the easiest to find because it is sold at many auto parts stores.

If you want full synthetic, Valvoline makes a 20w-50 with high levels of ZDDP.

Here’s the link to all three motorcycle/atv oils made by Valvoline.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/

One constant I do look for in most oils is high levels of ZDDP, because it is one of the best anti wear agents available.

dougspcs
04-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Hello

I just noticed my post did not include a recommendation for oil. I wrote my post on Microsoft word and guess I didn’t scroll down far enough when I copied it or something.

Anyway, if it’s like over 60 deg f, I often use Valvoline motorcycle oil. It is 20w-50 which is slightly higher than the mfg’s recommendation is for your bike, however, as long as you don’t use it is weather around 35 degrees and below it will not harm your engine and likely won’t then anyway.

In temps below that I occasionally use Valvoline ATV oil simply because it is 10w-40.

These oils are non synthetic and have high levels of ZDDP as described in one of my previous posts.

There are many other oils I think are good. Brad Penn is one of them and regular Honda oil, however, the Valvoline is also one of the easiest to find because it is sold at many auto parts stores.

If you want full synthetic, Valvoline makes a 20w-50 with high levels of ZDDP.

Here’s the link to all three motorcycle/atv oils made by Valvoline.

One constant I do look for in most oils is high levels of ZDDP, because it is one of the best anti wear agents available.

That's the spirit, less is more!!!! A helpful opinion..

:Bounce

04-16-2014, 09:21 PM
I would run Honda GN4 10W40.