PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200x possible air issue

ATC90JAY
04-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Hey Guys,

I installed the rebuilt OEM 24MM carb and it made a huge difference! I have a DG exhaust so I put a 112 main jet and took out the 108...Seems to be responding well with power and no choking or hesitating. Question : my airbox tube seems to barley fit on the carb and I think Im getting air as it revs downs a little slow...any suggestions on how to fix that? Also are there any gaskets besides the 0 ring gaskets that need to be installed in the manifold carb pipes? And is there any adjustment needed on the carb air/idle for the 112 ?

Thanks, Jay

badandy
04-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Couple questions... is your possible issue between the airbox, and carb...because IF so, it doesnt' matter other than potential unfiltered air entering the carb...
I had only dealt with an '83 200x in the past, I installed a 28mm carb, and I had to stretch the intake boot to fit the carb, but it did work and remains that way today.. some 28yrs later...
If you suspect a leak, idle the bike, and shoot either starter fluid or carb cleaner where you suspect the leak. Use small amounts to try and pinpoint, and then we can further help. If there is an air leak, you will hear/see a change in rpm when you spray it...

NeverLift
04-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Start with what badandy said about the spraying the starting fluid around the intake. If the idle doesn't change then turn your air/fuel mixture screw out 1/4 turn at a time and blip the throttle until the idle drops back down without hesitation. If you need to turn it out more than 4 turns from full closed than you need to go up with your pilot jet. Good luck.

DohcBikes
04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Hey Jay. Make sure your throttle cable isn't hanging up. It should snap closed, if not, the slide may be hanging up in there.

ATC90JAY
04-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Hey Jay. Make sure your throttle cable isn't hanging up. It should snap closed, if not, the slide may be hanging up in there.

Good to here from you Dohc!!!!!!

ATC90JAY
04-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Ok here is what I did and here is where Im at.. Beautifully rebuilt OEM Keihin 24MM with a 112 main jet .First of all thanks for all of the help!! Dohc I checked the cable & slide good to go...Badandy I got the starter fluid but it started to rain and I want to do it out side incase of any flamage.... But I started by replacing the plug and it fired up on the first kick I think the off adjustment made it lean? as i had to kick it 6 to 11 times to start.. and the old plug was white/grayish?? and dry. I adjusted the pilot jet and it seems to idle and rev fine now. I will tinker with it to try to get it perfect but it seems real close now.. I should probably test run it and check the plug again. Thanks Flying W! that rebuilt OEM Keihin carb sure made one hell of a difference from the china ebay carb...Seems like it got a huge power boost and the throttle is so responsive!!! ((Wheelies all day)) Its great!! Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks!

badandy
04-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Your on the right track... before making any fuel/air adj, you must make sure you have no air leaks... there won't be flamage... Ha ha...
from there you can get good readings on your plugs to set mixture. for idle, you should be able to screw IN until you start to hear a rise... then fall. Pay attention, because that will be your peak lean, then back out about a half turn or so. Make sure the bike is warm, and then start with a clean plug... It's a little tedious, but you'll get it.

ATC90JAY
04-13-2014, 12:52 AM
I sprayed the starter fluid no air leaks found... I can start it up seems to start faster when it cools down.. When its first starts it idles fine then 3 min later it idles down a bit and stalls. I rode it 4 times today seems to be riding ok a little crackling from the DG exhaust... No smoke.... It will not stay at a constant idle I adjusted the Idle screw and the pilot....Could the 112 jet be too big should I put in a 110? What do you think I should try next?

badandy
04-13-2014, 01:11 AM
the 112 may be a little big for a stock carb, but I cannot remember... regardless, it has absolutely no play in the idle circuit. If it's starting better cold, than warm, I would tend to say you're rich... what are you doing with the choke, and have you adjusted mixture on a warm engine?

ATC90JAY
04-13-2014, 03:45 AM
Hi Badandy

I adjusted warm.. Choke is off...What about the pilot I adjusted 1 and 1/2 out... Cant seem to get the idle to stay screw seems very sensitive.....

NeverLift
04-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Check your slide for wear and make sure its in properly the cut away at the bottom of it will be on the airbox side. A worn out slide will let air sneak around the sides of it making the idle almost impossible to adjust the idle correct.

jb2wheels
04-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Turn the pilot screw out more and see what happens.

If the pilot screw is not making any difference or not making enough difference, the pilot jet might be too small.

Pilot screw and pilot jet are not the same but both affect idle. Think of the pilot jet as the gross tune for idle that gets you in the ballpark and the pilot screw as the fine tuning.

DohcBikes
04-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Hi Badandy

I adjusted warm.. Choke is off...What about the pilot I adjusted 1 and 1/2 out... Cant seem to get the idle to stay screw seems very sensitive.....fuel mixture screw is on the bottom, idle set screw is on the side.

The idle screw is likely sensitive because there is an indentation in the idle ramp on the slide.

Pull the slide out, look at the groove that is situated at the bottom of the slide, the wider one that doesn't go all the way through it.

Its cut at an angle to the slide body, so that when you turn the idle screw the slide will rise or fall relative to the way you turn it, in or out.

After many years of use, the groove will start to show a dimple where the idle screw has worn its way into the idle ramp, making it nearly impossible to fine tune the idle.

ATC90JAY
04-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Hey Guys,

Here are some pics what you said was what I think it was.... I took that slide out and replaced it with the one from the ebay carb... That one is not perfect but much better I smoothed out that one just a bit to test it out..I also took out the 112 main jet and installed a 110....The pic of the plug is while I was adjusting I cleaned it as its a new plug..I will get a new one and see where Im at. After I put in the new slide and did some adjusting she idles now and does not stall but if I lightly push the throttle she stalls or cuts out for a sec. but if I mash it she revs and idles fine.... Do you think a new slide and some more fine tuning should do the trick? Runs pretty good no smoking....

191179[/ATTACH [ATTACH=CONFIG]191180

DohcBikes
04-13-2014, 11:15 PM
You cannot interchange the slides and expect it to run right. It just doesn't work like that.

I'm sure we will have people that wanna say its OK, but a carb has one slide, the one that came with it. This of course only applies if you are picky, and don't want to waste time wondering if your mixed and matched parts are playing well together.

yaegerb
04-13-2014, 11:31 PM
DO NOT change slides in that carb. The original slide needs to stay with the OEM carb. Intermixing parts between OEM and aftermarket is asking for trouble. There are no air leaks as you have ruled out from the starter fluid check and that's a good thing.

Some questions.
why are you adjusting the air/mixture screw? I set that to stock specs before it was shipped and it doesn't need to be adjusted unless you are making large modifications to your engine. You need to put that back to stock specifications
Why are you changing out main jets? What have you modified on the engine?...if you have just added a DG pipe and newer air cleaner then a 110 main will be more than sufficient.

ATC90JAY
04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
You cannot interchange the slides and expect it to run right. It just doesn't work like that.

I'm sure we will have people that wanna say its OK, but a carb has one slide, the one that came with it. This of course only applies if you are picky, and don't want to waste time wondering if your mixed and matched parts are playing well together.

Hey Dohc what do you suggest I do?