PDA

View Full Version : 200s recoil question

PackerFan7485
04-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Hey guys, I have been registered here ever since I bought my 1986 Honda ATC 200s. The recoil was broke when I bought it so I figured I could fix it myself as I have all the parts. Or so I thought. First off, the 3 wheeler runs and drives fine. I started it with a rope and stick by wrapping it around the recoil and pulling it off; it started on one or two tries every time.

Now that it is nice out I am putting together the recoil and I know I have all the parts, minus one. I am missing one of the small pins that hold the ratchets? (the pieces that flare out when the cord is pulled, thus catching the recoil). I tried to do without it but then I realized just how important it is, the ratchet does not move back into place so the rope doesn't wind back in. My question is what can I do about this? I don't know if any other systems use such a piece so I don't know if I could buy it at a parts store or something, or if there is something I could use to replace it, like a paperclip? (call me crazy lol) Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to order the parts online because that would take time, and I want to ride now!:twisted:

MNhondaguy
04-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Order a rebuild kit, comes with dogs, and dog retainers, maybe other parts too. It's like 18$ on eBay. It sounds like you can start without the recoil, so riding now isn't really an issue now is it?

PackerFan7485
04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I had viewed some rebuild kits on ebay. $85 for the full set minus the housing and compression. It was about $15 to get the dogs, retainers, and cap. Instead of ordering the rebuild kit just for one retainer, I made one out of some copper wire from the inside of a coated electrical wire. I have about 20 retainer clips if I need them now, all for 50 cents.

I didn't want to have to wrap the rope around to start it because this was the first start of the year after a long brutally cold winter, it took a few tries, but now with the fixed recoil, it starts on the first pull.