PDA

View Full Version : bent axle. what now?

keller0658
04-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Like the title says I have a bent axle. I have a 86 200x, should I buy a used axle off of another parts bike? or look for something newer? Like anything else when something brakes I like to take the opportunity to try and upgrade but not sure where to start. Any help or advice would be helpful. Thanks

86125m
04-10-2014, 11:54 PM
I would buy a veary good used axle. I would never try to put anything else on because it would be a living nightmare.

jb2wheels
04-11-2014, 12:03 AM
How bad is it bent?

Both my first gen 200Xs had bent axles. I could only tell on pavement or other hard surfaces.

I never noticed in the sand.

DohcBikes
04-11-2014, 12:14 AM
If you have patience and tools you can bend it back.

Bren_downe
04-11-2014, 01:11 AM
I have read that the second gen 250r is a good swap for second gen X's. I've never done it bit I'm sure you can find info on it.

shortline10
04-11-2014, 09:54 AM
I have straightened hundreds of bent axles . Send it my way for the repair .

keller0658
04-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Its the same w my 200x, I can only feel it on hard surfaces but it still bothers me knowing its not right.

ironchop
04-11-2014, 08:12 PM
+1 on what shortline10 said....I would have him fix it. Finding another used axle thats straight is harder than you might think. I once bought 4 first gen X axles off ebay and forums to get one that was actually straight.

keller0658
04-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Ok thanks guys.

czac
04-18-2014, 01:20 PM
I had a bent one too on my Yammie 225 DXN, I only noticed it when I lifted the rear end off the ground and watched the wheels turn while trying to figure out why my rear was making an awful clanging noise! it seems the break disc was wobbling and hitting the break pads and making the noise, I ended up with a New old stock Axle off EBay and now, all is good. I didn't think the old one could be fixed!

michael200x
05-17-2014, 12:30 AM
i have a 200x (with a trx200sx) engine in it. The right tire wobbles at high speeds. Is it a bent axle or a bad wheel.

czac
05-21-2014, 07:59 AM
I have straightened hundreds of bent axles . Send it my way for the repair .

what does it cost to unbend an axle?

czac
05-21-2014, 08:00 AM
youd have to put it up on blacks and start it up and put it into gear and look at it... if its the axle, you'll see it wobble if its the wheel, the axle will turn straight but the wheel will look like a drunken sailor.

***** Put it up on BLOCKS, not Blacks******

85XMAN
05-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Shortline10 how much would u charge I've got a bent 350x axles??? Plz Pm me I'm terrible w looking back on threads!

Tri-Z 250
05-21-2014, 10:24 PM
youd have to put it up on blacks and start it up and put it into gear and look at it... if its the axle, you'll see it wobble if its the wheel, the axle will turn straight but the wheel will look like a drunken sailor.

Ok, What kind of HillBilly are you??? What if the guy doesn't have a few blacks laying around to toss under his trike? Sure not long ago I guess you tell someone that as good advise. Today, not so much, we're a kinder more understanding group of humans. I'm sorry if I'm some how miss reading your post but it's a bit racial and not in good form. Your post is offensive and certainly not politically correct to today's higher educated and socially correct individuals. Maybe in your next post you'll tell us how to remove your scratches in plastic with Afro scheen. Prior to posting always read your spew and then hit Delete before you even think of Submitting that garbage response.

Sorry for off topic: unless the axle looks like a dogs leg, most can be repaired.

just ben
05-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Ok, What kind of HillBilly are you??? What if the guy doesn't have a few blacks laying around to toss under his trike? Sure not long ago I guess you tell someone that as good advise. Today, not so much, we're a kinder more understanding group of humans. I'm sorry if I'm some how miss reading your post but it's a bit racial and not in good form. Your post is offensive and certainly not politically correct to today's higher educated and socially correct individuals. Maybe in your next post you'll tell us how to remove your scratches in plastic with Afro scheen. Prior to posting always read your spew and then hit Delete before you even think of Submitting that garbage response.

Sorry for off topic: unless the axle looks like a dogs leg, most can be repaired.
Really Steve? Your going to bash on a one letter typo?

Tri-Z 250
05-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Yes Ben spelling is big part of communication in the English language. I don't care if you spell it N-a or er both offend me. What makes you think it was a typo? Missing the point here Ben, it's is very important to proofread before hitting Submit. This is my point, although over the top, you certainly can understand.

cobra28
05-23-2014, 02:43 AM
anybody with common sense knows he meant "blocks". Grow up and get a life tri z 250.

Yes Ben spelling is big part of communication in the English language. Missing the point here Ben, it's is very important to proofread before hitting Submit.

Its ironic that you say its very important to proofread before you hit submit because if you actually proofread your last post you would notice that you say "its is very important" when it should say "it is" or "its". Practice what you preach.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2kJ96jNYhttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2kJ96jNY

Poco Loco
05-23-2014, 10:09 AM
I didnt read all the posts but here I go. Ive fixed axles before quite a few. Redneck style. A receiver hitch works great. Mark the bend with a sharpie and slide the bent end onto a bumper hitch and get a big cheater pipe that slides over the axle and bend it it back. You'll have to over flex it to get it to straighten out. They have always come out to where they are usable again. If total perfection is what you are looking for , then you will have to bring it to a machine shop and open your wallet. Sorry about the punctuation fellas^^^ Lol. Im hitting "post' woth out proof reading.

DohcBikes
05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
LOL another entertaining thread:beer

czac is not a racist :lol:

So, he mentioned putting it on blocks. He doesnt mean v-blocks. Hes describing putting the trike on blocks and letting the tires turn while in gear. Not that we dont almost all do this at some point, its not the way to check the axle. It is however, a good way to check for a bent wheel, which was part of the question he was answering.

Everybody up to speed now?

The v-blocks that atc300r mentioned, are some of the tools that it takes to correctly check an axle for straightness. You will also need a dial indicator attached to a base.

Poco Loco, I like your quick method. For the less scrupulous this will work fine in my opinion. If you are using it hard, its gonna bend again anyway.

One thing i do disagree with is the need to hire a machine shop to get it 'perfect'.

If you have access to 2 v-blocks of a sufficient size, a magnetic base and dial indicator, a simple press or hydraulic tubing bender, and patience, you can easily get the axle to within factory specs.

Lay the axle in the v-blocks, measure the runout with the dial indicator. Most are within spec if they have less than .002" runout. If its more than that, mark the axle where the indicated runout is the highest.

Put it in the press, bend it. Check it. Bend it. Check it. There ya go, now its 'perfect'. Unlike my grammar and spelling at times....

BOB MARLIN
05-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Honda service manual states that it's good if it has less that 1/8" (.125) run out. They also show how and where to measure it. It's hard to get them perfect,but according to Honda they don't have to be.

The tools needed to check the runout are common tools found in any machine shop. I believe thats why a machine shop was mentioned.

ironchop
05-23-2014, 11:39 AM
They also show how and where to measure it.

this is very important.

BOB MARLIN
05-23-2014, 02:26 PM

like this

DohcBikes
05-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Yep exactly what I described, you got it. Pictures are always good, I didnt have time to add one, or to check the exact spec. The point was to explain how its done, and that it CAN be done at home, the same way a machine shop would do it if you dropped it off there, if you have access to the tools.

Its not hard at all to get them within spec if you have access to the tools. The quotations around 'perfect' were intended to relay that message. As far as the tolerance, that's gonna be up to how picky you are, .125" is way too much for my taste.

DIGGER DOG
05-23-2014, 02:54 PM
$600.00 Dura Blue axle.

BOB MARLIN
05-23-2014, 03:22 PM
I had one on a 350x that was out .320. It was horrable to ride. Death wobble was bad. I replaced it with one that is .04 out, and it's great. The one on my 250r is out .07 and it's fine too. 1/8" sounds like alot, but I would have ride one to see. I do know that 5/16" is too much.

fabiodriven
05-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Im hitting "post' woth out proof reading.

Woth?! That's not even a word man! What the H E double hockey sticks is wrong with you!?!? Jeez!

anybody with common sense knows he meant "blocks". Grow up and get a life tri z 250.

Its ironic that you say its very important to proofread before you hit submit because if you actually proofread your last post you would notice that you say "its is very important" when it should say "it is" or "its". Practice what you preach.

And you! You can't be wrong when you're correcting someone who was just wrong while they were correcting someone else! It's "It's" or "It is". I can assure you the following was not cut and pasted-

A very common mistake is to write its (the possessive form of it ) when it's (the short form of it is or it has ) is required: It's [it is] unclear what he meant. It's [it has] been wonderful seeing you again. But do not use it's for it has when has is the main verb: It has a strong flavor; use it sparingly cannot be written as It's a strong flavor… An equally common mistake is to use it's for the possessive, probably because ordinary possessives of nouns are formed with an apostrophe: the dog's coat; Mary's cell phone. But the possessive its is a pronoun, not a noun, and, like other possessive pronouns ( his, hers, yours, and theirs ), is written without that particular bit of punctuation: I have to fix my bike. Its front wheel came off.

cobra28
05-23-2014, 05:41 PM
fabio, your a fa ggot.

barnett468
05-23-2014, 06:04 PM

A very common mistake is to write its (the possessive form of it ) when it's (the short form of it is or it has ) is required: It's [it is] unclear what he meant. It's [it has] been wonderful seeing you again. But do not use it's for it has when has is the main verb: It has a strong flavor; use it sparingly cannot be written as It's a strong flavor… An equally common mistake is to use it's for the possessive, probably because ordinary possessives of nouns are formed with an apostrophe: the dog's coat; Mary's cell phone. But the possessive its is a pronoun, not a noun, and, like other possessive pronouns ( his, hers, yours, and theirs ), is written without that particular bit of punctuation: I have to fix my bike. Its front wheel came off.

I can assure you the following was not cut and pasted-

. . . http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCLyXFSIWWERjw0p1O5rn3kkVx05edf oDpmsZYyWv7TIjJRvgIF0LVzao

Ok children...here's today's lesson. I commonly mistook Mary’s coat for a dog and became possessive of it cuz its [no apostrophe cuz its, isn’t it’s, is it?] strong flavor use sparingly like his, hers, yours, and theirs cannot equally be wonderful like my wheel came off my cell phone…bike.

. .http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQMFvAiXoGF1up22oaZLcqL4hSUxA9T V5cItb2jy00VUKN_jJZWE9jJKxX

PS - The op left the building 5 WEEKS AGO!

OMG...wtf is goin on here?
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

cobra28
05-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Obviously, Captain of his highschool Debate Team

You obviously likes suckings fabiodrivens little d ick.

This post was a good example of what not to do - perma ban for stupidity. - Billy

Mr. Clean
05-23-2014, 06:10 PM
fabio, your a fa ggot.

You obviously likes suckings fabiodrivens little d ick.

Welcome to 3wheeler world. trr

DohcBikes
05-23-2014, 06:20 PM
See Ironchop, now THATS passive aggressive,,,,,lol....

Cobra28......whoa dude!!!??

Poco Loco
05-23-2014, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=fabiodriven;1311867]Woth?! That's not even a word man! What the H E double hockey sticks is wrong with you!?

Dont you know humor when you see it? I wanted it that way. Geeze...Whats wrong woth that?

RIDE-RED 250r
05-23-2014, 06:23 PM
What the h*** is going on here lately???!!! Why are so many threads turning into some big friggen d*** swinging contests... Good Lord!

barnett468
05-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Hey beav...I'm glad we finally found a site with some good ol' wholesome family entertainment.

Yeah b head...it's, it, it has...been kinda hard.

http://media.giphy.com/media/dxwYVGx3Q94pa/giphy.gif

OMG...there goes my spleen!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

One year ban after being asked nicely a few days ago via PM to stop making worthless low value posts - Billy

RIDE-RED 250r
05-23-2014, 06:32 PM
You know what's funny Barnett, I think Beavis and Butthead are probably older than some here who can't seem to help but stir the pot lately.....

barnett468
05-23-2014, 07:26 PM
You know what's funny Barnett, I think Beavis and Butthead are probably older than some here who can't seem to help but stir the pot lately.....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiWc1YxbKeNsOzOjgiY4ZznlenGlXL7 tlPMc8LeeDsP4C-rS--pftijeRsnQ

Hay RIDE-RED...do ya think the yunger guys might recognize me instead?

OMG...this is whole thing is lame!

Billy Golightly
05-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Lots of good opportunities to take the trash out in this thread tonight. I'd love to have a few more contributors?

ironchop
05-24-2014, 09:47 AM
my apologies for making comments that did nothing but fuel the fire. I deleted them so that nobody else gets the wrong impression.

I`m man enough to say I was wrong posting anything off topic at all regardless of any comments by anyone else.

I also apologize to the OP for helping turn a simple question and an interesting post into more drivel especially after complaining about this very thing in my posts elsewhere. It makes me appear hypocritical.

My mood was crappy at best yesterday and when this happens I should learn to stay off the internet. This isn`t a facetious or sarcastic post, I would just like to help cleanup a mess I helped make. That`s all.

rdonald1979
05-24-2014, 01:51 PM
WOW! And like Digger Dog said. Dura Blue if you can spare the extra change. These are made not to bend and doing so they will take more punishment. The axle in question will now bend more easily as it has been already and the metal is now fatigued a little.

Poco Loco
05-24-2014, 02:04 PM
If you have an 86 carrier and swinger you can do a trx aftermarket axle. Axcalibur is a great one. Ive snapped 2 durablues. They snap at the ring groove for the lock nut. Its scary as hell when the go.

rdonald1979
05-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Very true on that.

czac
06-12-2014, 01:25 PM

lol,lol,lol...I didn't see this until today and had to go back and look at my post...lol Blacks! Nice... Sorry if I offended any of our members who may be of African decent.. didn't mean to. Although, now that I think of it, maybe if one doesn't have a couple Blocks to lift their trike, a couple strong friends might do just as well! lol no matter what color they are... that is.