PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying snowmobiles........

samster143
12-01-2002, 01:48 AM
I may want to get 2 snow sleds and am wondering what models or years make good ones. I don't want to get too much $$$ into them but I want relilability. Maybe an old Artic Cat or Polaris that needs a little TLC. Does anyone know what too look for and which ones to stay away from? I'm pretty mechanical but know nothing about snosleds.. Thanks for any input.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-01-2002, 01:56 AM
go with ski-doo, they have rotax engines that last forever..i ahve a 1979 ski-doo citation 300, for sale, runs great, only thing with with it is the suspension could use a little tightening up....no big deal, i jsut dont want it anymore....

PowerTrike
12-01-2002, 01:58 AM
hey man- yeah sleds are awsome i have two older skid00s at the time, you can't go wrong with them for reliability> I just started up my 68' and 88 yesterday! I am planning on buying a faster sled this winter. I'm kinda looking for a 5-10 year old Polaris Indy(about 500cc) if i can get one reasonable and i would recomend one for you. There are quite a few out there and can be found at reasonable prices. :)

Kilborg
12-01-2002, 02:19 PM
The best sleds to look for are the ones you still see on the trails. If you cannot afford a newer machine, get something from the big names frin back in the day that are still around. Skidoo, Polaris, Arctic Cat, and Yamaha are the best bets. You can still get any part needed (www.centralsnowmobile.com - Good parts site, theyll send you a free catalog. I have dealt with them several times and had good luck, though I hear people bitching about them often).

My personal favorite older sled is the Rupp Nitro 440. Very fast, and handled really well for the era. These machines could exceed 100mph in the right conditions (and if you have ever ridden that fast on a oldschool sliderail/leaf sled, you know what im talking about).

Im running a 1982 Skidoo Blizzard Mx5500 now..Really good suspension but the motor is somewhat anemic. Also, its performance in powder leaves plenty to be desired. My 250r does nearly as well in pow til it gets fairly deep.

Dynofox
12-01-2002, 03:52 PM
If you want to buy a newer sled go for a polaris. They make all of their own motors (their high performace twins) and are very reliable and make awesome power. If you don't want to spend a lot and want a good sled go for an 89 or newer polaris indy 500. These sleds have a bullet proof motor and will last forever.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-01-2002, 04:29 PM
my neigbors dad has a polaris indy storm 800 triple, it was really fast and handled awesome, but while he was fixing the wiring, the gas line was leaking and the belly pan filled up with gas...and a spark shot off the ground wire and lit it all on fire

Trikeaholic
12-01-2002, 05:54 PM
my wifes sled is for sale, 1997 Arctic Cat ZL440 with 1700 miles. MINT. $2300. It will not break down on you. Ithaca, NY

boneidaho
12-01-2002, 05:55 PM
All make's are good. I prefer Ski Doo. Ski doo own's ROTAX ENGINES of Austria, and has since the early sixties. I've had alot of them, and currently have 5 new ones. How big of engine do you want ? The mid, and late 90's in the 500, and 583's are great sled's. These are liquid cooled also. I've had my 500 at 92 MPH on hard pack trail's, and my 583 at 100 MPH. I have a 670 H.O. at 100 MPH, but will go faster, but haven't had the place to top it out. Theu quit making these model's in 99, along with the rotary engine that is bullet proof, and went to reed valved engines with their new ZX chassis. The F- chassis was made from approx. 94-97, and the S- chassis was made from approx. 95-99, and the ZX- chassis from 99- present. All these are good chassis. The newer, the better-lighter though . Any more question's, feel free to ask. All makes are good though.

Kilborg
12-01-2002, 06:06 PM
A correction for you boneidaho...

Bombardier owns Skidoo and Rotax.

boneidaho
12-01-2002, 06:38 PM
No kidding Sherlock ! :D I've been to the factory in Valcourt, Quebec Canada ! They also own Lear Jet, Challenger Jet, Global Express Jet. They built the monorail at Disney World, and the one from Dallas, to Fort Worth Texas. :-P I Knew Bombardier owned Ski Doo, but wasn't getting into the technical nitty gritty of it. JohnnyBlaze,do you remember the Can-Am motorcycle ? It was rotary valved to, and was fast, but to heavy. It to was made by Bombardier in the 70's. 5 of my friend's had one back then. The creator of Ski Doo: Joseph Armand Bombardier. He originally called it : Ski Dog, but when he sent it to the press, the press screwed up and put a "o" instead of a "g" Otherwise we would be riding "Ski Dog's". I like Ski Doo better than Ski Dog ! I have the article in an old "Race and Rally" snowmobile magazine on that that dates back to the 80's. I've had 15 or so Ski Doo's, and all of them say Bombardier on them. Thank's for the correction, but I've known that since 1968. :-P Let's go ridding JohnnyBlaze. :-P I was in Littleton, New Hampshire for 7 day's in July. Spent some time at Lake Winnipesaukee. It's beautiful there !! JohnnyBlaze, You come out here to Idaho and I'll take you riding on one of my Ski Doo's, and put you up to. Then I will go back to N.H. and you put me up and I'll ride one of your sled's and you show me around !! :D :bounce Wadaya say ? :-P

Dynofox
12-01-2002, 08:01 PM
What do you guys have for sleds? I've got a 01 xc 700sp with a swain tech coated slp single pipe, tempa flow, v-force delta 2's, sports unlimited air box mod, ski-doo precision skis, 144 studs, ad bovin suspension kit and plenty of colored add on's. :-D

boneidaho
12-01-2002, 09:42 PM
1998 Ski Doo MXZ 500-300 miles. 1998 Ski Doo Formula Z 583.-380 miles. 1999 Ski Doo Formula Deluxe 500 L.C.-290 miles, 1999 Ski Doo MXZ 670 H.O.-500 miles, 2002 Ski Doo MXZ Renegade 800-ZERO miles. Just got it. The 98, and 99's were carry over's, but I bought them new in the last 2 year's. :-D samster143, go to dealer's and look for carryover's that are new, but maybe 2-4 year's old if money is a factor. You can get NEW sled's 2-4 year's old that are NEW for nearly half price of new current model's. :shock: At lease that's what I do here in the west. Work's for me !!

loudpipesavelives
12-04-2002, 11:44 PM
Ive got a 1992 Yamaha V Max 4. Its got Holtzman Tempa flows, PSI Mod Blaster Pipes, Bender Clutch Kit, 1 inch Camo track and 192 studs. The best part is that I have V max 500 decals on it. :twisted: I love to challenge the ZRTs and Mach Zs with them thinking theyre going to blow my doors off, then letting them see nothing but tailight. They usually track me down and want to see whats REALLY under the hood.

kimmer250r
12-05-2002, 02:28 PM
I've got a 2002 ZR 600 with blackmagic clutch and 144 studs and a 1999 ZR 500 efi studded. I'm selling my 2002 ZR 600. It only has 160 miles on it and is a pretty fast machine. I've rode the new REV and the F7 and I have to say that both are nice machines. But when it comes to all out power, speed, and handling....the F7 kills it. I plan on buying a F7 when I get rid of my 600.

Kilborg
12-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Boneidaho, I haven't went sledding yet this year (dont even know any trails, just moved to this town..Raymond) and I may not get the chance unless i get enough cash to rebuild my engine. I only have one sled now, but if you came out you could take the sled and I'd run my 250r (great snow machine actually) or something.

For the Can-Am's, yeah i remember the hogs. A bunch of freinds were die hard can am guys. They had a few gems back in the day. The biggest problem with the Can-Am lineup was they did not keep with the times, and lost a huge market share due to it.