PDA

View Full Version : Rotten 70'/71' US90 Frame 78' ATC90 Engine... Need a little help...

wildinindiana
04-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Hello everybody. New member here but have been here many times before. I finally picked up an ATC 90 after I had one as a kid and I am amping up to do a complete resto. I would like to get it going to tool around on through this season though, then this winter a complete tear down and away we go. I didn't notice when I picked it up from the front yard heap of old busted lawnmowers, kitchen cabinets, and broken bicycles in the country where I found it, that the engine didn't match the frame. It was missing the front fender, seat, most of the rear fender, wiring harness, coil, condenser, and other misc parts. The compression isn't great but its 122 psi so it should run, maybe not great, but run. Cleaned everything out, rebuilt the carb, ready for electrical. That is where my problem comes in...

The frame vin comes back as a 70'/71' US90, it has been spray painted red, but after chipping a little of that off it shows bright green so this winter that is what is going to happen. But anyway, if I'm not mistaken, the 90's of that era never had a headlight. Am I correct? There was no switch, brackets, or any trace that there ever was on my bike, so I am guessing that is correct. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I cannot find a wiring diagram that doesn't include the headlight anywhere!! All of the diagrams lump 70' through 78' together, and that seems to be a problem for me. I need to get a wiring harness, coil, condenser, and so on and I really want to make sure of how the wiring goes with a wiring diagram. So please if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated...

coolpool
04-16-2014, 06:27 PM
The light was an option for 70/71. I think from memory the wires that are effected are the yellow one coming from the alternator coil and the green and black kill switch wiring from the handle bars. Should be fairly simple to mark up a wiring diagram omitting the light circuit. If you need a hand PM me. What tires are on it?

wildinindiana
04-16-2014, 08:23 PM
That is what I thought by looking at the wiring diagram, it seems as though the yellow will be left vacant, and the green goes straight to the condenser or something like that... I think I'll get that straightened out. One maybe odd or somewhat stupid question though, I noticed the condenser in the diagram seems to have 2 green leads coming from it. One from one end with a 2 wire connector and one with a single from the other end?? All I can find for the condenser/points kit only have the single green with a 2 wire connecter coming from it... Am I an idiot and just reading the diagram wrong or is the case possibly grounded and that is what it means...??? Thank you very much again for your reply and help.

Tramo111
07-12-2017, 09:46 PM
I just joined and have the same question. This question is 3 years old and nobody has helped you. Ummm i might have joined the wrong forum

sledcrazyinCT
07-13-2017, 07:16 AM
I just joined and have the same question. This question is 3 years old and nobody has helped you. Ummm i might have joined the wrong forum

Welcome to the boards! If you notice wildinindiana only has two posts in the past three years. Also coolpool gave info and offered more in a PM or private message.
New members have to stick it out a couple months and make at least ten posts to gain access to all of 3WW. Stick around and become a full member as tech help in new member section will not get a lot of attention.