PDA

View Full Version : My newest acquisition

clmeue37
04-17-2014, 01:14 AM
Traded my old Quadsport for a 94 Ranger over the weekend. 2.3L, 5speed, 2wd. New brakes, shocks, and tires all around. It shifts great, drives good, and runs excellent (once it's warmed up). I'm thinking it's either the maf sensor or the iac valve that makes it idle rough until warm. I've also been told it could be a leak in the tube after the maf sensor, possibly even a vacuum leak somewhere. I've been driving it for a few days now and it gets MUCH better mileage than my silverado. Just wondering if any Ford guys out there could shed some light on my rough idle when cold issue.

Lee

DohcBikes
04-17-2014, 02:03 AM
Yep, I would shed the light right back on the things you've already mentioned.

Always do a tune up when acquiring anything will an engine, so spark plugs and air filter and etc.

clmeue37
04-17-2014, 02:09 AM
I'm one step ahead of ya :) I put new plugs, wires, coil packs, air filter, and changed the oil the day after I drove it home. I'll clean the maf and iac this weekend and check for vacuum and intake leaks. In the meantime I'll just let her warm up for a bit before heading to work or back home.

3Razors
04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Ok.........cute trade if you didn`t have to put $ with the quad ! Now......... don`t be offended.... but step away from that 2.3 as fast as you can ! Don`t walk = RUN ! You`re lucky it runs at all ! Maybe it`s worth a grand running........take it now while it still does......you`ll thank me later !!.....oh those were awfull !!! boat anchor !:shiftyeyes:trr:shiftyeyes:

Very bad info..I have that exact model of truck with the 2.3 liter engine and 190K miles. It's been one of the most trouble free and reliable vehicles I've ever owned.

BOB MARLIN
04-17-2014, 11:20 AM
I had one of those rangers for years. It ran good but was the most guttless vehicle I ever drove.

IKE-Z
04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
I also had a 94 that had the same issue, and replaced the maf sensor. It helped some. But it never had a real smooth idle. I work with a couple former ford techs and they tell me it was somewhat common due the fuel rail placement allows the fuel to boil.

3Razors
04-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Clemue, might try try and check the idle air control valve. If I remember right Ford issued a updated design on it because with the original the plunger inside would not operate correctly. The new style had a different plunger design all together.

yaegerb
04-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Ok.........cute trade if you didn`t have to put $ with the quad ! Now......... don`t be offended.... but step away from that 2.3 as fast as you can ! Don`t walk = RUN ! You`re lucky it runs at all ! Maybe it`s worth a grand running........take it now while it still does......you`ll thank me later !!.....oh those were awfull !!! boat anchor !:shiftyeyes:trr:shiftyeyes:

Love ya glamy, but I respectfully disagree. My 2.3 ranger had 175K on it when I sold it and to this day, still the best running truck I owned. Gutless...yes, dependable...absolutely. I would like to add that I am a bit OCD with everything I own so when something needed to be fixed (belts, hoses, etc) or changed (Oil, tranny, rear end fluid) it was done per the manuals schedule.

clmeue37
04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Ok here's the story on the trade. I work with the guy that traded me the ranger for the Suzuki. He's been eyeing my 230 for quite some time now for his son. He had a fire in his barn and lost a bunch of stuff including 3 quads, a Harley, and a bobber project he's been working on for the last 3 years. I offered him the Quadsport at no cost to him or his son. He accepted and told me he'd make it up to me. Came home on Saturday and here's the ranger sitting in my driveway with the title signed over sitting in the glovebox. It's got 297000 miles on it lol. He got it in a trade last year and drove it for about 6 months to save a little money on gas. It never let him down. I wasn't looking to get anything as payment for my bike and if I get a summer out of the ranger I'll be happy. If it goes even longer even better.

yaegerb
04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Ok here's the story on the trade. I work with the guy that traded me the ranger for the Suzuki. He's been eyeing my 230 for quite some time now for his son. He had a fire in his barn and lost a bunch of stuff including 3 quads, a Harley, and a bobber project he's been working on for the last 3 years. I offered him the Quadsport at no cost to him or his son. He accepted and told me he'd make it up to me. Came home on Saturday and here's the ranger sitting in my driveway with the title signed over sitting in the glovebox. It's got 297000 miles on it lol. He got it in a trade last year and drove it for about 6 months to save a little money on gas. It never let him down. I wasn't looking to get anything as payment for my bike and if I get a summer out of the ranger I'll be happy. If it goes even longer even better.

297K....hell, its just getting broke in ;)

clmeue37
04-17-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm a Chevy guy too. I miss my old 85 s10. 2.8 v6 automatic, regular cab long box. Sold it about 6 years ago with 210,000 miles. The guy doesn't drive it much but I still see it on the road from time to time.

slashfan7964
04-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Time for one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAijWSQ1gA

fabiodriven
04-17-2014, 04:01 PM
It doesn't matter what you got in trade for a 230 Suzuki, you're coming out ahead. That includes if you were given nothing at all for it.

clmeue37
04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Lol. The 230 was good to me. I had it for almost 14 years. I just got tired of it and didn't ride it anymore. One too many wheels if you ask me :)

YTZ drew
04-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Good score! I bought my '97 Ranger 2.3/2wd brand new, and still have it. It has been sitting since '05, not due to any mechanical failure, just got tired of driving it and bought a newer car. It was always reliable, and gutless like everyone said, but never broke down. One tune-up, one timing belt, one set of front brakes, one set of rear brakes, one set of shocks, several sets of tires. That's all I did to it in 8 years and 120k miles. What I did IN IT is another story- I worked that little truck HARD!

This summer its getting an injected V8 out of an explorer. I bought the exp. and stripped it back in December, and now I'm just waiting for summer vacation to do the swap (I'm a teacher).

110 atc
04-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Fabio is right, your lucky to get something for the zuk! I had a 2.8 s10 chev and it was so gutless it couldn't get out of it's own way. That was the worst POS I ever owned.

clmeue37
04-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Like I said I wasn't expecting anything for it. I'm happy with the outcome and his kid is thrilled to have the Quadsport. The ranger and the s10 are and were gutless but for a daily driver to work and back it suits me just fine (not everyone is a speed demon lol). I still have my Chevy for pulling my trailer and whatever else I need to haul.

clmeue37
11-12-2014, 05:51 AM
306,000 miles on the Ranger now. My little brother has been driving it for the past few weeks because some kid pulled out in front of him which totaled his 3/4ton Chevy. When I got the truck it came with a new left rear cab mount bracket and right rear leaf spring hanger. Finally got around to putting them on this last weekend. Picked up an aluminum topper for free for the winter as well. Been a perfect little truck for my 15 mile ride to work and back every day.

6speedthumper
11-12-2014, 08:10 PM
IAC is most likely the issue. EXTREMELY common on all older Fords. 4cy, 6cy, v8, they all have issues with the IAC. Some you can get away with cleaning them. Others need replacing. I'd replace the timing belt, if I were you. It's an easy belt to do on that 2.3. Don't know when it was done last.

clmeue37
11-13-2014, 01:22 AM
@6speedthumper

Timing belt was replaced at 280,000 so should be good to go there. Right after I got it I pulled the iac off and the plunger/piston deal did not move smoothly. What would you recommend as far as cleaning it? I'd rather give that a try before I spend the money on a new one. Thanks for the suggestion!

6speedthumper
11-13-2014, 08:45 PM
@6speedthumper

Timing belt was replaced at 280,000 so should be good to go there. Right after I got it I pulled the iac off and the plunger/piston deal did not move smoothly. What would you recommend as far as cleaning it? I'd rather give that a try before I spend the money on a new one. Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem. I've used carb/throttle body cleaner, brake clean, or lectra-motive cleaner. They get gunked up with carbon. Last I checked they were cheap, but, you may get lucky with cleaning it. Yeah, you're good on the timing belt for a while yet. Best to look up the service interval though. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

clmeue37
11-13-2014, 08:56 PM
No problem. I've used carb/throttle body cleaner, brake clean, or lectra-motive cleaner. They get gunked up with carbon. Last I checked they were cheap, but, you may get lucky with cleaning it. Yeah, you're good on the timing belt for a while yet. Best to look up the service interval though. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Thanks I'll give it a try when I get it back from my brother. A new one is about $90 so if cleaning it doesn't yield any positive results I'll order one up.

clmeue37
01-26-2015, 12:44 AM
Replaced the clutch slave cylinder today...what a joke. Leave it to Ford to design something this poorly. Those of you who know what this project entails know what I'm talking about. In all honesty it wasn't that hard with a hoist and a brother who's done this before. The pedal has never felt as good as it does now and I'm glad it's fixed. Changed the transmission fluid while we were at it as well. She's ready for the next 100,000.