PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda 350X won't stay running

14U2NV
04-17-2014, 10:03 PM
I just bought a 85 Honda 350X, I just replaced the petcock with a new one, took carb off and apart and cleaned it and reinstalled it along with a new plug and air filter. It will fire off but only spit and sputter then die. I need to know what I need to do to make it run. Also I know it's got compression release but that thing is a booger to kick over, are they always that hard to kick over ? Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks !

jman311
04-17-2014, 10:08 PM
There could be a few different things that could cause your issue. Take the carburetor apart again and check the pilot jet and main jet. Make sure you can see through them. I think that would be a good start. As for the hard kick, that may be something an expert around here could help with. :-)

14U2NV
04-17-2014, 11:40 PM
I used compressed air to blow out both pilot and main jets and could see thru them before reinstalling them. Thanks for your reply !!

yaegerb
04-17-2014, 11:51 PM
what does the inside of the tank look like? Rusty? If so, you could potentially be getting particulates in your carb from a crusty tank. If the tank isn't pristine, I would clean the carb again as others have suggested and this time run an inline fuel filter. Other than that, here are a few other items that could be the culprit.

-ensure carb pilot screw is set to factory specs
-Check carb for any air leaks from airbox and to intake
-ensure timing is spot on
-ensure CDI is not bad

14U2NV
04-18-2014, 09:14 AM
The tank was spotless inside, super clean. I installed an inline filter when I installed new petcock and new fuel line. Intake and airbox rubbers are secured snug and properly. Will check timing and cdi this weekend. Thanks !

BOB MARLIN
04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
As far as being a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to kick over, there is a learning curve to it.
Kick it over very slowly until you feel alot of resistance (compression) keep pushing through that position, then bring the kicker back up about 3/4 of the way to the top, now give it a good kick down. I have one that the compression release isn't even connected and this still works.

cap
04-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Make sure the ON/OFF thumb switch is not jiggling around when the machine fires and starts running, been down that road once.

14U2NV
04-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks Bob Marlin ! I knew there had to be a trick to it, I really appreciate the help guys.