PDA

View Full Version : One of those great days I won't soon forget..

atc007
04-17-2014, 10:58 PM
I stopped in and payed my neighbor a visit today, { Ed Fisher}. For those of you that don't know ,Ed is a tough old motorcycle racer. He is in the Hall of Fame,,well, to be accurate ,he, Dave Despain and others sent their credentials back last year. But I digress. He was 48 National flat track champ,etc.. A Honda,Yamaha,Triumph dealer for many decades. When I stepped out of the truck. I Immediately smelled nasty bad gas.. Not your run of the mill green nasty crud.. SEWAGE smelling filth.. I walk in to find Ed pumping the fuel tank of a 76 Goldwing. I left the door open,knowing he had heat on.. It was BAD LOL !!! I assess the situation,look in with a flashlight. And tell him,I think my 3 wheel buddies easily conquer this situation with apple cider vinegar. You could see the rust and garbage had set up shop on TOP of pure,shiny clean metal! It was actually made of some good stuff!. Ed proceeds to tell me he promised himself he was DONE buying huge heavy pigs like these bikes. But that he had sold THIS bike new in the fall of 75. So he bought it back.. He said he was just thinking he wanted to see me and in the door I walk. I said you're a God fearing man Ed. You're in church every Sunday. You ask and you receive lol!

He then proudly points over to another Wing. This is a 40x50 foot truck garage FULL of vintage motorcycles :). We go over to it. I see it's a 75 { 1st year for the goldwing} He says look at the vin,,as I WAS lol.. #54.. 84,448 miles. On the CO.. THE Fifty Fourth Honda Goldwing EVER produced!!! He kept it. NEVER sold it. Rode it to Cali and back once. Called Honda and told them if they ever tried to say it had a comfortable seat. He would care to differ! He then shows me around all the triumphs he has for sale. ... THEN we go over to the work bench.. Where there are 4 Cub engines all scattered. These are the Triumph racers he prefers. I'm gawking at the bronze bushed cases,knock apart crank throws. He's firing questions about cleaning the cases up,but not to shiny,and one that's welded and exactly the BEST way to go about saving it...,,I'm taking it all in. They come stock with dual chains. He runs a single in all his race bikes. He breaks out a ANCIENT NOS box. A needle bearinged lower rod bearing !!.. Points out how the crank seals are...Laughs and says he finds they are way over rated... How he doesn't run seals on his crank anymore.. He drills holes all around the outside circumference of the crank bearings,and drills a vent for the crankcase. No crankcase pressure, No leakage! He points out why he was thinking of me. A new Chinese scooter that won't start unless you choke it on the airbox with your hand. I traced the electric choke wire back and we think we figured it out but didn't tear into it today.. He had a new carb in case. He then started talking about my Uncles and that led to World War 2. He told me a couple wild stories he had heard...I said,,,that's true lol.. He said ,wow.. I told him My Uncle Frank was Pattons veterinarian.. He said wow.. I SAW Patton. It was a nasty snowy day ,and there was traffic and people jammed up everywhere,somewhere in Europe... Total chaos. As his company got up to the front of the mess. There was Patton at a crossroads screaming and directing which direction to head. He said Patton was definitely a real go getter and got things done.. We talked about so much. But it was just one of those days I'll never forget. To think some ,,,MOST,,people would simply pass him by for an old man.. Everyone has a story,and I sure like listening to his. He's coming up to my place for a tour. He's been here Many times. But never went through. I think it will be a very long day :) I cannot wait.

briano
04-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Great story. I love listening to the "old timers" tell their stories. I know a guy that just turned 96, he's in a nursing home now but he cut his own firewood up until he was 92. At the age of 92 his doctor told him that he needed to quit smoking and chewing snuff. His response was that he had been doing both for 82 years and damn well wasn't ready to quit yet.

I could listen to these guys all day, all of the great things that that have seen and done. There surely isn't enough respect for these people anymore. I could go on and on about the people that I know that are in their 80s or even into their 90s. At their age just having someone to listen to them is a big deal sometimes, and I love it all.

Scootertrash
04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
You guys got it right! Old people have awesome stories. My grandfather lived to be 100. When I think of what he saw in those 100 years, from the advent of the automobile to electricity to being able to video chat with your family via computer. We get to see some cool stuff nowadays, but I think they had much cooler stuff for their time.

atc007
04-19-2014, 08:42 PM
I just spent the evening with my 82 YO neighbors. My girls prefer to have them over rather than kids their age :). We have a 18 1/2 yo foster girl here at the moment. I told her Ken,my neighbor. Did more work by the time he was 15,than most young people today will do in their entire life. And I absolutely stand by that. He was gazing out over the neighborhood from our front room. Talking about the various fields he had farmed,and the many predicaments he had been in. And he turned to me and said. But I don't have to tell you. I 've seen you farm all of them and a lot more. I said yes I have. But in the cabs of John Deeres,not on a Farmall H or horseback... Scooter,I said that about my Grandpa 100 times. All except the video chat !

beets442
04-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Made me think about one of the neighbors I had when I was a young lad and a toast to the old guys that make us what we are today.

czac
04-22-2014, 04:05 PM
I worked with two older guys years ago, one was an Army guy, WWII vet who was in the Normandy invasion and all over Europe during the war, the other was a Navy boy... Man did they ever have some awesome stories. the Navy guy was in just after the war came to an end but he still had some funny stories of shore time and leave and oh yeah, crossing the Equator and having King Neptune board the ship! lol Sometimes these older guys can get t talking and stuff starts to pour out of them like its been kept secret for 50 years! They also had great stories of growing up in the cities back then and all the trouble they got into.. one was from New Haven, the other from Bridgeport and they sounded like they were all bat trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro crazy back then! one of the things the navy guy said was him and his friends would ride their bikes to go watch old man Sikorsky play with his helicopter when he was first inventing it, they said he would just go up and down, up and down...lol