PDA

View Full Version : **1985 Honda ATC 350X Jetting Issues w/ New Chrome DG Exhaust**

PittsburghPete
04-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Hopefully I get some laughs and some good advice from this..Sure did take a nice hit in my wallet for this tragedy!! I decided to buy a new DG Exhaust for my 1985 Honda ATC 350X. I got the "Krome Power RCM Complete Exhaust - Chrome" part number: 26-2112. Took the OEM exhaust off and boxed it and purchased two new exhaust gaskets and installed them along with the new DG exhaust. This is where the skid mark began...Rode it around my warehouse back lot for about 5 minutes....THANK GOD! Stopped because whenever I would give it a quick throttle punch it would follow up with a loud backfire. I parked it in one of my garage bays and then started staring at the exhaust head as it turned from Chrome to purple....awwww man was I pissed. Got on here and did some forum searching and found out I screw up in a lot of areas. I'm pretty sure the jetting needed changed and other things to. I took it to a local Honda dealership who looked it over and informed me I did no further damage except to the pipe chrome because its single walled etc. I asked them to correct the jetting. They informed me that you can't just buy a jet pack for a '85 Honda atc 350x. Makes sense to me and they told me it would take them a long time to experiment and get it correct. They also told me that there was a pin size hole in the weld on one of the two header pipes. So I stashed that in a box and stored it for scrap or selling to someone for parts and now I am back to the stock OEM exhaust. The throttle response and low end was SO AWESOME when I had that DG Pipe on there...now that I have the OEM back on...I'm the guy who went from cable internet back to dial up...this is no way to live. I would like to solve this before 2014 Trikefest. I would like to put another DG Exhaust back on...to be exact: DG Exhaust "RCM Steel Exhaust - Black" part number: 04-2112. Am I headed in the right directly choosing this exhaust? I'm tired of purple chrome...I'll stick with matte black steel from now on. It there a needle and jetting that works well in this scenario? Any advice on this would be great!!!

RIDE-RED 250r
04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Well, if you are just installing the DG exhaust, one size richer on both the pilot jet and main will likely be where your 350x settles assuming everything else with the engine is stock.

The dealer is right, 250r carb jets do not all interchange with the jets used in the carb of a 350x. Different model carb. It's been awhile since I was inside a 350x carb, but I'm pretty sure the main jets are the same as the Keihin PE, PJ amd PWK carbs. But the pilot jets I know are not the same.

Check out PJ Motorsports or Jetsrus.com. One of them have a database that helps you determine the carb that is on your trike. I cannot remember the Carb model found on the 350x off the top of my head. But once you get that figured out, order the next 2 sizes richer from stock in the pilot and main jets.

Chrome pipes will turn blue near the head no matter if the jetting is correct or not. Only type of pipe coating I know of that won't discolor with heat is ceramic.

Poco Loco
04-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Wow you like to type. Ive seen both of your posts. keep em simple and you will catch more fish.

PittsburghPete
04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Thank you for the heads up. I'll identify the carb type and then get those sizes!!

BOB MARLIN
04-24-2014, 08:54 AM
My chrome pipe on my 350x is now turned gold all the way to the second section of pipe. It's just what happens to chrome on a four stroke.

Liquid-Darkness
04-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Here is a jetting chart I use to refer to when jetting my bikes, it works well.

Liquid-Darkness
04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Here is a url of a better pic of it.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180767&d=1384563055

PittsburghPete
04-25-2014, 06:59 PM
According to www.pjmotorsports.com the Pilot Jet is: N424-26 (What would one size richer be? ex: N424-27?) The Main Jet is: 99101-357 (What would one size richer on this be?)

RIDE-RED 250r
04-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Those are the jet type numbers. So now you know which type, go into the database for that jet type and you will see the jet sizes available. I cannot remember off the top of my head what the stock jet sizes are on the 350x. But whatever those numbers are, get the next one higher in main jet and pilot jet.

PS: they don't run in 1 number increments. For example, say your stock pilot jet is a #38. The next size richer would likely be a #40, next would be #42. They usually go in increments of 2 until you get into the larger sizes. Same goes for main jets. And in general, the higher the number, the richer the jet.

Liquid-Darkness
04-26-2014, 07:44 AM
I think the stock jets for a 350x are #138 main #42 pilot..