PDA

View Full Version : 1985 atc 200x ** need to replace kickstart shaft **help

couchin1
04-25-2014, 10:25 AM
I need to replace the kickstart shaft and was wondering if it necessary to split the cases in order to do this ? I removed the right hand crankcase and checked the gears,they look great. Any help would be awesome!

shortline10
04-25-2014, 10:55 AM
If its slipping its not the shaft that needs replaced but the ratchet gears .
what's it doing ? lots going on in their .

I need to replace the kickstart shaft and was wondering if it necessary to split the cases in order to do this ? I removed the right hand crankcase and checked the gears,they look great. Any help would be awesome!

couchin1
04-25-2014, 11:01 AM
I figured it was the ratchet gears, I just ordered a whole new shaft with all the gears (it was only 30 bucks ) it doesnt kick over anymore. It catches every once in a while. Just need to know what the best route is for replacement. From what I've read it days you need to remove the jug and split cases. Hopefully there's an easier route

shortline10
04-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Must be used parts if your only paying 30 bucks and I would be Leary of buying used when it comes to fixing the ratchet set .
The real issue is the ratchet spring wasn't strong enough from the factory so their was a upgraded heavier spring made by Honda but discontinued a long time ago , I have a few of the upgraded springs if you need one also new ratchet gears .
Yes the motor has to be completely disassembled for the repair .

I figured it was the ratchet gears, I just ordered a whole new shaft with all the gears (it was only 30 bucks ) it doesnt kick over anymore. It catches every once in a while. Just need to know what the best route is for replacement. From what I've read it days you need to remove the jug and split cases. Hopefully there's an easier route

couchin1
04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Ok thanks, I bought the parts from a friend and it is the upgraded spring and a new ratchet. Do you know of any good instructions for digging into this, I have the service manual but it's pretty vague and I've only broken open a couple small engines. Any help is much appreciated!

shortline10
04-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Best advice I can give you is buy an original Honda manual and take pictures as you go for reassembly . You don't need to pull the flywheel so no special puller needed for this job but you will need a clutch nut socket and an air impact makes life a ton easier as well . Oh and make sure you line all the dots on every kicker gear .

Ok thanks, I bought the parts from a friend and it is the upgraded spring and a new ratchet. Do you know of any good instructions for digging into this, I have the service manual but it's pretty vague and I've only broken open a couple small engines. Any help is much appreciated!