PDA

View Full Version : Mr_Gixxer's 200es build

Mr_Gixxer
05-01-2014, 07:59 PM
So going by the forum rules I must post here in this subforum because I'm one of the new guys on the block. Some of you may have seen my intro thread and the picture of my new to me 200es I got in a trade. She is in fairly decent shape for being a 30 year old machine but needs some small things here and there to bring it back to its glory. Well, small things turn into big things real quick when you start looking for parts that haven't been made for decades. I'm too committed to turn back now though!

Here is a list of the bad...

-Top end is leaking oil slightly from the head
-Exhaust is rusted beyond repair and has a patch welded on that is leaking on the pipe
-Oil needs changed
-New spark plug needed
-Carb needs adjusted, bogs down the harder you accelerate
-Foam air filter is nonexistent
-Brake light not working
-Rear brakes are VERY sticky
-Front tire won't hold air for more than a day, rim is bent pretty bad
-Fairings are cracked but repaired in multiple places, no fading though
-Front and rear racks have slight bends in them and needs a good paint job
-Fuel tank is clean but slight indentation in the rear
-Factory stickers are half gone and there are other junk stickers added

First thing I did was change the oil and clean up the screen. This proved to be my first headache as I didn't have any 24mm sockets to drain the pan. Trip to lowes I went! I guess any time you can justify buying more tools is a good day though I figure! Picked 10w-40 4 stroke oil for motorcycles from valvoline and sprayed the oil screen down with brake cleaner and topped her off with fresh lube.

Next, removed the NGK Iridium plug it had in. It was extremely blackened and looked very wet. I picked up two standard NGK plugs so I had an extra on hand and gave the beast a new spark in life.

Carburetor was next. Without taking it apart I first tried adjusting it. Fired it up, couple turns of the knob and purred like a kitten! Done, for now.

Air filter issue comes next. Decided to order a K&N replacement filter due to the bike only running with the screen and no foam filter. OEM filters weren't an option either. I did check out the UNI filters but decided to spend more on something I know will last longer than this old girl. Wasn't sure how the K&N's were going to fit but went at it anyway. First thing, I wasn't very pleased with it and I think the UNI's would have the same issue. The trouble is this. The stock filter was supposed to slip over the screen core and clamp on the intake end. The other end would have a hole in it so the screen core nut would be exposed letting you screw the whole assembly onto the air box bracket. This air box bracket is the only way the whole unit stays in place inside the air box. The K&N had no such hole in the one end to allow this to happen. I wound up sliding the new filter onto the core, clamping it on(which the opening of the filter was oversized by about an eighth inch) and slipping the assembly into the intake hose and wedging the bracket in the back of the air box with the bolt pressing against the plastic end of the filter. After screwing the air box cover back on it seems to be pretty secure but I'm not too sure if the filter unit will wind up slipping out of the intake hose over rough terrain. I may be taking the K&N back and looking at other options.

And now my latest project. Fixing the issue with the front wheel not holding air. Took the rim and tire off the front and took a spare tube I had up to the local honda shop to put a tube in it and fix it. Yea, not as simple as it originally sounded.(sensing a trend here:p) After installing the tube at the honda shop they noticed it STILL wasn't holding air. WTF! Apparently the tube was the right size for the tire, the valve was not in the right location I guess and was on a bind. Ok, I figured instead of messing around with it I would just put a new rim on the front and be done with it. YEA RIGHT! After looking through all the books and files he could pull out at the parts desk we gave up trying to find a single rim with even the 4x150mm bolt pattern let alone one that was 9x9. Great, ebay time. There are about a half dozen rims on ebay that would fit but all were in terrible shape and for 50-60 bucks I wasn't having it. Now what? Found some sweet new 3-6 offset rims I could put on the rear, use one of the old rear rims for the front and I'll still have a spare if I need it! Rims will be here Wednesday. I plan to paint all three rims gloss black and was toying around with the idea of doing the hubs and rings in red. Don't know yet...

More to come!!!

Mr_Gixxer
05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
I'd like to add that there are a lot of good things I've found.

-Front shocks still work
-Gearbox and rear end seem tight and crisp
-Front brakes look in great shape and work great
-The seat appears to be original and in EXCELLENT shape without a single scuff or scratch to be seen
-All original parts seem to be here even though some parts show their age
-Fires right up every time even when the motor is cold without even choking it
-Got the service manual with the deal as well as the original users manual(no tool kit though)
-All electronics other than the rear taillight work as they should, even still has the cap on the auxiliary outlet(what we're these for again?)
-New battery
-New starter motor

atc007
05-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Welcome. Where in PA are you? And what is that in your avatar? Sounds like you are learning very quickly what fun these are to work on!

Mr_Gixxer
05-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Welcome. Where in PA are you? And what is that in your avatar? Sounds like you are learning very quickly what fun these are to work on!

I'm in Clinton county. My avatar is a guy draggin' knees on a playground panda:D

Yea, learning pretty quick how difficult this project is becoming! Will be nice when it's done, all the hard work will make it that much sweeter!

atc007
05-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Ok,,,,wouldn't have ever guessed that! I'm in Sullivan county :). Did you go to the Kubota/Honda New Holland dealer for parts?

Mr_Gixxer
05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Ok,,,,wouldn't have ever guessed that! I'm in Sullivan county :). Did you go to the Kubota/Honda New Holland dealer for parts?

Yea. It was the last place I wanted to go but that's the closest shop within about 30 miles. We used to have a dedicated honda shop but it got bought out by the local kubota dealer. There is a small mom and pop shop in a little town called salladasburg that probably has all kinds of rare old OEM parts laying around that I'd love to go check out one of these days. They also do good work and do things old school. Seen them balance my gixxer tires by hand and eye once, and they did an awesome job too! Those kinds of places are the best and hard to find anymore.

atc007
05-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Yeah, Gary's a great guy.. He doesn't have much if any 3 wheel stuff though :) They are great guys where you went though. Just a little wtet behind the ears. think about how long they spent trying to help you and how much profit they made off you. Not much lol. They are trying :)

Dave_D
05-01-2014, 10:52 PM
My uni filter dissent have the hole you speak of either I just lined the hole up with bracket and screwed it together anyways
Not saying go for it. Just what I did

Welcome to the boards aswell I have a 84 ES to and love it

Dave

Mr_Gixxer
05-01-2014, 10:56 PM
My uni filter dissent have the hole you speak of either I just lined the hole up with bracket and screwed it together anyways
Not saying go for it. Just what I did

Welcome to the boards aswell I have a 84 ES to and love it

Dave

Thanks for the welcome.

I actually thought about modifying the K&N to make it work like you describe. This would require drilling a hole in the rubber end cap of the filter to accomplish which isn't a huge deal. Not sure if the filter is too long though for the little bolt to stick through and reach the nut on the end of the insert. I'll take a closer look next chance I get and take some measurements before I decide what to do next.

Dave_D
05-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I actually thought about modifying the K&N to make it work like you describe. This would require drilling a hole in the rubber end cap of the filter to accomplish which isn't a huge deal. Not sure if the filter is too long though for the little bolt to stick through and reach the nut on the end of the insert. I'll take a closer look next chance I get and take some measurements before I decide what to do next.

Mine was just the foam continued on the end not a rubber end post a pic maybe. Maybe someone else has used the same style filter

Dave

Mr_Gixxer
05-02-2014, 12:40 PM
So while I wait for the 9x9 3+6 rims to come for the rear I've started planning for the wheel overhaul. Plan is to get one of the rear rims that I'm putting on the front and the two new rims sandblasted and powdercoated gloss black. Might do all three hubs while I'm at it too. The rim support rings will get this same treatment as well but I'm thinking red would look sweet.

Also been throwing around the idea of adding new rubber too but thinking about going from 25x12x9 to something like 20x11x9 in the rear. The RAZR 4 plys have my eye. I know the ride will be a little rougher but I'm a big boy I can handle it:D Maybe something skinnier in the front but 25 inches tall. What do yall think?

I guess I'm looking to turn this trike into more of a sport trike than a utility trike I guess.

Mr_Gixxer
05-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Small update.

Had a chance to strip her down a bit more tonight and dig a little deeper into the 200es. Took the front and rear utility racks off, sissy bar, both rear fenders and the exhaust. One thing I found interesting was this little galvanized tray screwed onto the bottom of the seat that I hadn't noticed before.

Could it be?!?!?!?!

After taking the screw off in excitement lo and behold there she was! The tool kit! WOOT!!! Dumped out the little pouch and from what my research has told me all seven pieces were there! I am VERY surprised!

Took a closer look at the hubs too because I wanted to see whether or not I could remove them easily or not to send along with to the powdercoater. Seems the best option would be to clean them up by hand and prime and paint them myself.

Mr_Gixxer
05-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Today's update.

Ordered some more parts today. After hours of research and websurfing I settled on the DG exhaust system from Dennis Kirk, got the gasket coming too. I'm still not 100% certain this will be a no nonsense bolt and go though. Not too many people answering the questions I was searching for here. I will document my experience here when they arrive.

Also did some more digging into what I should do for the new rear tires. I decided 20" tires was WAY too much of a jump and way too small. I settled on ordering a set of 22x11x9 Kenda Klaws for the rear and actually found the cheapest price from amazon. They should be here this week as well. Hopefully I get what I'm looking for in the rear when these things finally hit the trail, looking for a little snappier response and a little easier to break the rears loose. Couldn't find anyone else with this type of setup on here, 22x11x9 rears and 25x12x9 front. With the 3+6 rims it should have a pretty mean stance I think.

Next up I got some supplies to start refinishing the hubs and axles to match the soon to be powdercoated rims and support rings. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

Stay tuned!

atc007
05-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Sorry,just saw this. I would have DEF stuck with 25 's on the rear. You have obviously been bit by the 3 wheel bug hard! So after this,you will find yourself a 200x or 350x undoubtedly. If you beat me to it lol. You will enjoy the heck out of this even though it's a hardtail. Any DR or chiropractor worth anything will tell you. Hardtails and lawnmowers are the worst thing in the world for your back! Including heavy lifting! Anyhow. I personally would paint the rims,PC is fine if you wanna spend the extra $. DG pipe will be LOUD. No having fun putting around the woods keeping the neighbors happy. It will be almost obnoxious now..Toolkit still in a Honda is an almost given. IF they all had a clean oiled air filter and a oil change once a year. They would all outlive a humans lifespan.{ The Honda 200's I mean} But,,they don't lol. Feel free to email me if you wanna stop by here. I have a few bikes I could show you,and maybe some parts too.

Mr_Gixxer
05-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Sorry,just saw this. I would have DEF stuck with 25 's on the rear. You have obviously been bit by the 3 wheel bug hard! So after this,you will find yourself a 200x or 350x undoubtedly. If you beat me to it lol. You will enjoy the heck out of this even though it's a hardtail. Any DR or chiropractor worth anything will tell you. Hardtails and lawnmowers are the worst thing in the world for your back! Including heavy lifting! Anyhow. I personally would paint the rims,PC is fine if you wanna spend the extra $. DG pipe will be LOUD. No having fun putting around the woods keeping the neighbors happy. It will be almost obnoxious now..Toolkit still in a Honda is an almost given. IF they all had a clean oiled air filter and a oil change once a year. They would all outlive a humans lifespan.{ The Honda 200's I mean} But,,they don't lol. Feel free to email me if you wanna stop by here. I have a few bikes I could show you,and maybe some parts too.

I'd love to check them out! I'm already looking for a decent liquid cooled 250x.

:D

Mr_Gixxer
05-06-2014, 10:26 PM
New rims should be here tomorrow, new exhaust on Thursday and wheels should show up on Tuesday next week. Had a couple of good days and started painting up some of the parts I have. I've decided not to powder coat the rims though, not sure if I want to subject them to the heat treating processes involved in it. I've done plenty of painting in the past both for work and for myself so I am pretty confident I can do a nice job with it.

Here is what she looks like right now, waiting for her facelift...

I'll snap some pictures of the parts I've finished so far tomorrow when it's daylight, man its gonna look snazzy!

Mr_Gixxer
05-07-2014, 06:04 PM
New shoes came today WOOT! Wasn't expecting the tires to come until next week so +1 Amazon!!! Now, when it decides to stop raining outside I can get these rims painted. Thought I snapped a few pictures of the parts I have finished so far but I can't seem to find it. I'll get some more photos up when I get the chance. Here's one for now...

Exhaust tomorrow, then paint, then reassembly.

Mr_Gixxer
05-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Got the exhaust today, 192909installation was a breeze. I wasn't too sure the head pipe was going to work or not, didn't seem to be in the correct shape in the pictures but fit just right. I wonder if the tailpipe will work its way off though? I think they should have included a clamp or something maybe. It did fit VERY tight though so maybe my concerns are unfounded. New gasket in, all bolts tight I gave her a fire. Adjusted the screw a little on the carb and got it running pretty smooth with only a small adjustment. Might have to play with it some more later once I get the top end work done and bigger carb.

Here she is so far. Mounting rubber tomorrow...

nutcase67
05-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Powder coating the rims would hold up a lot longer then paint, and as far as heating of the rims 325 degrees is as hot as the rims will get and its only for about 20 to 25 minutes.

Mr_Gixxer
05-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Powder coating the rims would hold up a lot longer then paint, and as far as heating of the rims 325 degrees is as hot as the rims will get and its only for about 20 to 25 minutes.

Well I guess I can always powdercoat them later if I want to. Paint is already done now. One nice thing about paint is it's easy to touch up. Gonna look good either way, better than rusty rims that's for sure!

nutcase67
05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
anything look better than rusty rims, over the winter tore down my 200es and powder coated the frame, rims, racks everything turned out great

Mr_Gixxer
05-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Once I have an actual garage to work in here on the farm I'll probably start a more extensive project like that. My main concern was to first and foremost fix the front so I didn't have to pump up the tire every day. This is what it's grown into. Some small performance mods for now, new rims and shoes and a good maintenance tune/lube up and clean up. The next step in this build will be bored/ported and carb. Probably run a 67mm piston, maybe cammed. We'll see. She needs the top end refreshed anyway so might as well give her a little extra.

nutcase67
05-08-2014, 11:45 PM
like so many of the project on this site it always starts with just a few things and then turns into a complete rebuild

Mr_Gixxer
05-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Wanted to replace the ugly aftermarket grips that were on this trike so I stopped at a honda shop in state college pa and wouldn't you know they wound up finding some old OEM grips for her?!?! AWESOME!

Dropped off the rims and tires this morning to get mounted, hopefully I'll have her all cleaned up and back together tonight!...

Mr_Gixxer
05-09-2014, 10:03 PM
So I got her all back together. I wanted to do more but I'm getting sick of not being out wheelin'! Saw a really nice 200es sitting in the service bay at the honda shop when I picked up my wheels. Wonder who they are! Still having issues with the front tire not holding air. This is getting very frustrating. I bought some of that green slime stuff, I'm going to try that tomorrow. (The honda shop is gonna love ME next time I take wheels in to be mounted :D) Worse case scenario I buy a new front tire, that has to be the problem. The rim that's on it now held air when it was on the rear. Can't find any punctures or cracks or anything, even checked the bead twice on each side and still can't figure out where it's leaking from. That tire was new when I got the trike too. IDK.

Made some more adjustments to the carb after the sun went down because she was still popping pretty bad and bogging down when I would give it throttle. I adjusted it leaner probably a whole turn in. Does this sound about right? Seems fine now. Adjusted the idle down too. Doesn't bog down under load or backfire as much now. Didn't read the plug but I figure it's a futile endeavor until I can get the top end worked on.

Seems a lot snappier with the 22 inch rears and exhaust. Doesn't sit much wider than before even with the 3+6 rims. Gained 3 inches with the rims but lost an inch with the tires so it's really only 2 inches wider overall.

Pictures tomorrow, it got too late to snap any. I'll show a before and after in regards to the rear footprint as well...

Mr_Gixxer
05-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Here's some before and after pics. Still lots of work to do but I'm impatient:D. When I get antsy I'll be straightening the cargo racks and probably rhino line them as well as the sissy bar. Got some other NOS odds and ends coming from partzilla like taillight cover, fuel cap etc too. Didn't have a chance to scrub her down real well either but here goes...

Before...

After...

Mr_Gixxer
05-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Ok. I think I got the front tire fixed up now.

New problem. BIG problem. Took the es down the road to see how much the slime throws off the balance. Well, the front end wobbles worse than yer old aunt Bertha's REAR end in a 1960's belt wobble machine.

Think the slime did it?

Nope!

Looked down at the rears and they are all OVER the place. Checked the lug nuts, tight. Jacked the rear end up and ran the rears in 2nd gear and sure nuff wobbling all over the place. Took the wheels off and notice that the holes may be slightly too big for the 8mm-1.25 studs and aren't centering correctly with the flat lug nuts.

My question.

What do I do now? I can't seem to find any 8-1.25 tapered lug nuts to save my life! Any other options?

I can't ride again...:(

Mr_Gixxer
05-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Soooo...it seems I may have overlooked something. The hub rings. Problem is they do not fit inside the new rims at least on the outside, I think they are extremely tight on the inside, I will have to check again. What in the h3ll do I do? This is the reason they aren't centering on the hubs isn't it.

Mr_Gixxer
05-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Had a big setback in the 200es project. Some of you may have seen my other thread about it. The new rims I installed immediately showed big problems for me. These rims in fact do not fit the 200es perfectly and the center hole measures 3.5" and doesn't mount onto the stock hubs like they should. They come in contact with the four raised areas on the hub surface and I think this is the root of the problem. The very noticeable issue is a severe wobble the rears have when mounted on the stock hubs. Not cool. Thought I was done for but with the help of DohcBikes I think I might have found a solution. The new rims have a dual bolt pattern, 4/150 and 4/130. 200s hubs have the same axle splines as the 200es but have a 4/130 bolt pattern and the raised surfaces on these hubs measure 3-3/8" across. Perfection!!!

Just going on a hunch here that this will fix the wobble, cross your fingers! New hubs are on their way!

Anyone else looking at adding these rims to their 200es beware!!! You probably will have the same issues!

Mr_Gixxer
05-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Old 24 spline 4/150 bolt pattern 200es hubs are off. Waiting for the 24 spline 4/130 bolt pattern 200s hubs to arrive.

In case anyone was wondering how the new 23x11x9 Kenda Klaw tires compare to the old 25x12x9 Wooly Booger tires, here's a side by side mounted on 9x9 rims with 3 pounds of air...

Mr_Gixxer
05-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Got the new hubs Tuesday but it's been raining nonstop all week. Had a chance to get the 200s hubs mounted and tires on today and the news is that it worked!!! Also got brand new bar ends from partzilla today and she's back in business. Couple more small things to replace other than the plastics and it'll be like new again.

Man this thing rips now!!!

Thanks again DohcBikes!

rdonald1979
05-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Good to hear your back in the saddle and have overcome the problem.

DohcBikes
06-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Got the new hubs Tuesday but it's been raining nonstop all week. Had a chance to get the 200s hubs mounted and tires on today and the news is that it worked!!! Also got brand new bar ends from partzilla today and she's back in business. Couple more small things to replace other than the plastics and it'll be like new again.

Man this thing rips now!!!

Thanks again DohcBikes!Hey no problem brother! Glad to offer a good suggestion now and then ;)

PatReilly87
06-02-2019, 11:15 AM
My big red has the 25” back tires, I have been wanting to change my exhaust since it’s rusted out towards the end, but after finally seeing this DG pipe on a big red my question is will it fit with my 25” tires?