PDA

View Full Version : 1979 honda atc 110 electrical help!!

abnormaldope
05-04-2014, 06:09 AM
I Have a 1979 ATC 110 engine I rebuilt the top end and now I'm stuck with hooking up the coil to get spark. I don't have anything to put the engine in at the moment but I'm trying to figure out how to get spark first. I have the coil I'm just not sure where the wires go. The wires have been cut and spliced so the original wiring isn't here. There's a green wire coming from the top end of the engine and yellow and black wires coming from the magneto. The coil has one black wire besides the spark plug cable I just want to correctly hook up the coil so I could start the damn thing! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

barnett468
05-04-2014, 07:25 AM
hello;

it looks like this to me but others should know.

1. the yellow wire from stator is for then lights, leave it disconnected.

2. the black wire from stator is power for the ignition.

3. the green wire from top of engine is for the points.

4. there should be an external condenser. it looks like an m80 firecracker but its silver

5. the green and black stator wire go together.

6. connect them both to the wire on the condenser

7. the other end of the condenser mounts to the frame so it is grounded

8. this bundle of wires connects to the positive side of the coil

9. the other side of the coil gets grounded to the frame.

here's a wiring diagram.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85002&d=1261635819

abnormaldope
05-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Lets say I dont have a frame haha I'm trying to get it started without a frame.

barnett468
05-04-2014, 08:18 AM
jesus chris..., lol.

ok, i ant askin why.

the mounting end of the condenser and the negative post on the coil ground to the engine.

barnett468
05-04-2014, 08:20 AM
pull the spark plug out and lay it on the head and kick it over to see if it sparks. once it sparks you are good to try it....i guess.

hey, put some oil in it, lol.

coolpool
05-04-2014, 11:28 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141970-Anyone-Else-Bench-Run-a-Motor/page2?highlight=bench+test

I bench test every motor I tinker with before I install them as seen in the above link. Barnett's wiring idea seems correct. I just took a piece of flat bar with two holes in it, bolted the coil to one end and put a long bolt through the top engine mount and secured it to the other end. I twisted the flat bar with the coil so the wiring was never stretched. There are pics on the first page of the link. You'll have no kill switch but just choke it out if you want to run it.

abnormaldope
05-04-2014, 05:42 PM
THANKS TO BARNETT468 AND COOLPOOL I GOT A SPARK!!! Now all I have to do is mount this engine to a suzuki quad! But I'm throwing a motorcycle rear axle on it to keep it a 3 wheeler;)