PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank issues Honda 250SX

sg5492
05-04-2014, 10:24 PM
I have a 85 Honda 250SX, the fuel that was in it was a 10% ethanol blend and it broke a ton of sediment loose in my tank. What is the best way to wash it out? I'll attach a pic of my Fuel Tank Gas Petcock Valve is it supposed to be in two pieces or is it broke as well?
Thanks for any help!!

Liquid-Darkness
05-05-2014, 02:22 PM
That happens alot with petcocks. I have one on my 350X tank thats like that and had like 2 on an sx that did that from age I guess. As for cleaning the tank, you could look into getting a new plastic tank from ebay, or just swish some gas around in it and use some RedKote I think its called to line the tank so it stops rusting. Theres another fluid to rinse the tanks these guys use but I forgot what its called.

tri again
05-05-2014, 03:13 PM
pressure wash?
rinse with rocks?
radiator shop is my personal choice but
if you do it at home, final rinse with HEET to get ALL the moisture out of the seams
and let it sit in the sun.
Rinse with gas, drain and blow out with compressed air then keep it either full full or empty and sprayed with marine fogging oil.

Once the loose rust is gone, all we have to do is keep them from getting worse.

Search key will give you more info and choices on tanks rust than you could
ever want to know.

Flyingw
05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree with Tri, a radiator shop will give you the best results for getting the crud out of the tank.

dougspcs
05-05-2014, 04:11 PM
I'd say old man time is to blame for that mess..10% ethanol fuel, not so much!!

I agree with 'tri again' on the clean up, best to just clean and keep it full to keep the moisture and air back at it..

Drain, dry and marine fogging oil spray the inside during periods of storage.

Coxy
05-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Vinegar works, watered down muratic acid ( I can't spell some days sory), CLR... And yes if u have acess to a rad shop, get them to just blast it, solider any larger holes that appear and get it coated by them.... Their coating process far exceeds kreem or POR..... From what ive seen an read at least.... I had to get my tank done before winter, as she was leaking.... Cost me 150-200 to get it done.... But worry free now!

sg5492
05-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks!! I will try some things this week and if I can get it clean. If I can't I will find a radiator shop.

Chopsaw
05-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Nothing wrong with the petcock . Its not in two pieces . The plastic pick up tube / screen is removable . Know that there is an O ring that goes at the top of the plastic tube where it meets the valve itself , and a rubber washer that goes inside the plastic to control reserve fuel pick up . The lower cap on the valve un screws , and there is a screen in there also .

Go to a radiator shop and be done with it . They know what to do , and will find bad spots that you might not know about . I had 2 done for 100 each . 2 years later , no leaks no worry , nice oem metal tank .