PDA

View Full Version : M923A1 5-ton military truck

smvorndran
05-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Hey guys.

I bought some ATV tires from a guy this weekend, and he had a 1993 BMY Harsco M923 5-ton military truck sitting in his driveway. True 6x6, 8.3L Cummins, 5 speed Allison automatic transmission, air brakes. It's just cool as heck, and I think I could get it for $5000, which is a fair price. Not a steal, but not a bad amount for the size truck it is. The titlework is already done, and now it's easy to title and register for the road.

What would be the pitfalls of owning something like this? I'm wanting to buy it just because it's cool. I'll mostly drive it in parades, maybe a little off-road, but mostly just to have just to look at and tinker with. It's just awesome, and it's only 5 grand. I could always get most of money back, if not more. Need some input. I was never in the service, so I've never been around these or worked on them, so looking to you to let me know what you know about them.

Thanks!192660192661

Caminofeld
05-05-2014, 10:45 AM
That's an amazing truck! A friend of mine has one and claims it can be powered by anything flammable like paint thinner, etc...he also says it gets about 4 miles per gallon. If you can afford the fuel and know how to work on a basic diesel, then I say go for it!

smvorndran
05-05-2014, 10:51 AM
The owner tells me 10 MPG in town and 7 MPG on the highway. Not really a diesel guy, but being a Cummins in a military vehicle, it shouldn't need too much should it?

plastikosmd
05-05-2014, 02:27 PM
the only pitfall i can think of, in my case, is divorce
otherwise u are good to go!

Flyingw
05-05-2014, 03:49 PM
5 grand is cheap for that. Those are the trucks the rear ends for the monster trucks come from. They are in high demand. If you're so inclined, I'd pick it up and put it back for sale for 10 grand. Get on to the military truck forums and get the opinion from those guys. That's what they do.

Ghostv2
05-05-2014, 04:01 PM
No experience what so ever but they are cool. Never seen these newer 5 ton machines. Just use to seeing the older two and a half tons of various types. But i must say, when the guys bring them on trail rides they are show stoppers. Throw some benches in the back and go have a ball.

Just remember if you get it stuck, youll probably need another 5 ton truck to pull you out. :lol:

200xman
05-05-2014, 05:50 PM
You probably need a CDL to drive it since it has air brakes. Parts can be expensive and it is a 24 volt system so most parts stores wont have any electrical parts. Cost of upkeep is high, multiple gallon oil change, filters, tires etc. Finding a company to write insurance can be a pain also. The fun factor is high though, I have a 2 1/2 ton right now and it is a blast to drive. State Farm wrote me a policy for insurance since I wanted regular plates, not classic/historical. I think 5K is a fair price. Heres a pic of my Deuce.

Bren_downe
05-05-2014, 06:28 PM
You don't need a cdl if it's under 26,001 lbs. air brakes have nothing to do with it. Rental trucks have air brakes and you don't need a cdl to drive one of those.

200xman
05-05-2014, 06:47 PM
You don't need a cdl if it's under 26,001 lbs. air brakes have nothing to do with it. Rental trucks have air brakes and you don't need a cdl to drive one of those.

Rental trucks are a different category. A Deuce and a half weighs 15K and can carry 10k, that 5 ton has to weigh at least 18-20K and can hold 20K.

fabiodriven
05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
My deuce was a blast, but I never would have owned it if it didn't run on just about anything. I ran it on a concoction of waste oil, tranny fluid, gas, antifreeze, whatever. The 900 series will not do that, diesel only.

90guy
05-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Now that's awesome! I've always wanted one to have and offroad with. As well as a hunting rig. 5g in my eyes not to bad. Could buy a used side by side for about double that. And those are not even close to be as awesome as a 6X6.

badandy
05-06-2014, 02:30 AM
the only pitfall i can think of, in my case, is divorce
otherwise u are good to go!

I'd buy it AND give another 5g's for him to feed my wife... cause, yeh... she wouldn't be mine anymore....

DohcBikes
05-06-2014, 03:08 AM
You could sell those 3 Rockwell top loaders for five grand. Its a steal.

Ghost has a great point......Don't get stuck:Bounce

jakep53
05-06-2014, 08:40 AM
would be a pretty cool trikefest hauler!!!!

Ghostv2
05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
would be a pretty cool trikefest hauler!!!!

I thought that too, but unless you live down the street from haspin acres, it's not worth driving across the country getting 5-10mpg.

smvorndran
05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Wife is on board, so the divorce thing isn't problem yet. The fuel tank said diesel or J-32, which I assume is a military diesel. I think you're correct about diesel only. I'll check, but it's probably not a multifuel. Insurance is $308 for the year, not sure if that's parade and car show only. Supposedly don't need a CDL. I do worry about getting stuck, because if it does, I'll need a semi-rig to pull it out. He said $5500 is his cash price, down from $7500. I'm going to take $4500 cash with me later this week and see what happens. For $5000-$5500, even thought it's a good deal, I don't think I'm quite there. They're not worth very much on ebay. $4000-$8000 seems to be the range.

DohcBikes
05-06-2014, 02:16 PM
If you get it, id get the cheapest insurance possible. Cops will probably not pull you over in that rig unless you are driving over cars, and no insurance company would have a clue how to value it if you were in a wreck anyway. Just my thinking but maybe its flawed. I never tagged my M37 at all but i dont think the cops ever even considered pulling me over in it.

I like your numbers game, sounds like a good plan. I will again agree with Jim and also guarantee that just the axles are worth more than the cash price hes asking in the right market. Definitely the parts are worth more than the sum, kinda like trikes.

coolpool
05-06-2014, 08:38 PM
That's seems like a good price for a truck of that caliber. Besides getting stuck, my concern would be the cost of repairs. How many miles are on it? Does it come with the troop carrying kit, i.e. tarp and bench's? That's a great idea about surfing the military truck forums, they will know. That's a far cry from the 1976 models I used to drive!

smvorndran
05-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Looks good! Wish it had a winch like that!

You probably need a CDL to drive it since it has air brakes. Parts can be expensive and it is a 24 volt system so most parts stores wont have any electrical parts. Cost of upkeep is high, multiple gallon oil change, filters, tires etc. Finding a company to write insurance can be a pain also. The fun factor is high though, I have a 2 1/2 ton right now and it is a blast to drive. State Farm wrote me a policy for insurance since I wanted regular plates, not classic/historical. I think 5K is a fair price. Heres a pic of my Deuce.

smvorndran
05-06-2014, 10:43 PM
It has 1,700 miles on it. It doesn't have the canopy or benches. A coworker that builds monster trucks with Rockwell axles said the axles are worth about $1200 each, so $3600. Of course it's got an engine and tranny that could be parted too, but that would be a shame to do to that truck. We'll see what happens. He lives in a subdivision, so I can't imagine his neighbors appreciate it sitting in his driveway. I live in a regular neighborhood, no associations, so I shouldn't have any problems. The owner of our shop owns tons of property too, so country living is an option for it as well. I'd just have to let him drive it. It weighs in around 22,000 pounds, and has an on-road capacity of 10 ton, so I'm not sure how I'd have to register it. They're so uncommon, I bet the BMV wouldn't know what to do with it. The owner said it took him 3 visits to get things squared away.

JayBone
05-07-2014, 09:19 AM
NNJ Insurace companies ask that they be in a garage before they will insure.