PDA

View Full Version : 250 sx question

HoustonAE2
05-06-2014, 08:32 PM
So I just purchased an 1985 250 sx from the original owner (even had the title which I think is super cool!). The Ignition was popped years ago so they jumped they removed the battery and used the Kick Start option. I put a new battery in and am awaiting new tires and brakes...on for my question. With a new battery the electric starter works, but how do I turn the bike off? They only way I can get the bike to stop running is to either turn the gas off and wait it out or take the air filter off and suffocate it. I would really like to be able to turn a switch to turn the bike off...any and all help is greatly appreciated.

wonderboy
05-06-2014, 09:43 PM
There are two ways to kill your motor and they correspond to the two switches that should normally be there. 1 is the ignition key switch, the other is the run/stop switch (the red side to side slider switch).

The Run/Stop switch and the key switch both turn off the motor by CONNECTING the ground wire (green) to the Black/White wire (black wire with white stripe). Connected kills the motor. Not connected lets the motor run.

The other connection the key switch makes is to provide power to the hot feed. In run, the switch connects the solid red wire with the solid black wire (solid meaning that there is no stripe color on the wire). If yours is set up to run all the time, most likely these wires are connected too.

My advice is to NOT cut any wires. Hunt down where things may have been connected or disconnected and try to undo what the previous owner did.

Let us know what you find and if you need more advice, let us know what you see. Wiring can get messy, but take it a circuit at a time, and you'll get through it.

dougspcs
05-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Replacement keyed ignition switch is still available..

As Wonderboy stated you still have a kill switch..or is there a problem with that you didn't meantion?

There is a pretty decent supply of used parts in this forum, dig in and figure out what other parts you need and ask the group.

HoustonAE2
05-07-2014, 12:34 PM
As I got the bike this past weekend I am still learning it, thanks for the info on the "kill switch". What I figured out is that when they crossed the ignition wires, the ground was not connected...hence the problem. I purchased an key switch from Ebay for 10 bucks, off of a fourtrx but it looks like it is the same...if it is a bust I am only out 10 bucks. Will post pictures of what they did in the near future.

Thanks for the help!

UPNATM
05-07-2014, 12:48 PM
The main difference between the key cylinder/switch, is the connecter where it plugs into the bikes harness. Im not familiar with the fourtrax one, but hopefully it will work out for you.
I bought a brand new 250es switch/cylinder like this one..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignition-Key-Switch-ATC250-ES-Big-Red-1985-1987-OEM-Honda-In-Stock-F56-/271480093625?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f35797bb9&vxp=mtr#ht_2715wt_606
...and then cut off the connector, and replaced it with the SX style. Works like a charm, and now have a brand new key and switch.

HoustonAE2
05-07-2014, 08:12 PM
I do have the male and female connector for the switch so that was my plan as well...will post pics once done.

Flyingw
05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
The ES switch is a four wire harness with a two wire plug and two loose wires. The SX is a three wire plug with one loose wire. The wires are the same, its just the configuration is slightly different.

cap
05-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I bought this 8$ fourtrax switch for a 200M.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Key-Switch-HONDA-200-TRX200-1990-1991-TRX200D-1991-1997-ATV-NEW-V-KS42-/181309312412?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a36e08d9c&vxp=mtr

The dash panel on the M was notched in a different area but you can fix that quick with a file.