PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 200 ES rear brake question

4tindallboys
05-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, just bought an 84 200ES and the rear brakes are completely locked up! I opened up the housing and ball bearing poured out and the cam that spreads the brakes is completely solid. can you buy just the new cam (if so, where), or should i just buy a used one off of ebay and hope for the best?

86125m
05-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Dratv.com has that cam. here is the link http://dratv.com/camrrbrake287a.html. But I am betting that you can unstick the cam with some wd-40 or some lube and a monkey wrench just keep twisting until its free. One other thing the ball bearing on that bike should not come out like that.

4tindallboys
05-09-2014, 12:17 PM
i assumed the ball bearings came from the cam. there where several stuck in the gunk around it. did they come from somewhere else?

AbnMike
05-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Sounds to me like the bearings would have come from the rear wheel bearing.

Page 13-8 of the ATC manual found on oscar meyer dot net for the 200ES shows the exploded view.

You should be able to see the rear wheel bearing and see the balls in the housing. They should be touching each other in a complete circle.

4tindallboys
05-09-2014, 09:15 PM
well, that's probably where they came from. I have ordered a new brake housing plate, complete with cam, from ebay and will hopefully be putting it in Tuesday. I guess ill have to dig a little deeper and see. Thanks