PDA

View Full Version : Need Help figuring out what ATV/ATC to get my Kid

HoustonAE2
05-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Hey guys I am needing some help and hope that you are willing to give your opinion:crazy:

My son is turning 8 this summer and I want to get him an ATV/ATC for his birthday. I am looking to get him a running bike, something that is not too much for him but something that will grow with him over the next few years. My only requirement is that it is currently running or will run after a tune up. What would you do? Realize I am a big guy (6'5 and 290lbs) and my son is a chip off the old block (Already over 4 ft tall).

Here are a few options I have considered already

1) Get him a Honda 110/125 to rip around on now

2) Get him a Honda 185/200 and keep him in a low gear

These would be either a 3 Wheeler or a 4 Wheeler

3) Buy him a new/newused 90 or 110 from a major manufacture.

4) Get him a cheap Chinese 4 wheeler knowing that he will break it and at that point buy him something bigger being that he is now more experienced.

His birthday is in a few months so I have time, I just don't know what to do...

coolpool
05-09-2014, 09:19 AM
My thoughts lean toward the 110. Even though he's 4' tall, he's probably not very strong yet. If he gets stuck or has to push it off him if it ends up under it (god forbid), he'll be OK. Lot's around for a decent price and four gears in each range for learning. If you go with the 185/200 it won't stay in low gear for long, lol. Stay away from the chinese 4 wheelers IMO. Our local adds are loaded with them people are trying to unload.

HoustonAE2
05-09-2014, 09:43 AM
My thoughts lean toward the 110. Even though he's 4' tall, he's probably not very strong yet. If he gets stuck or has to push it off him if it ends up under it (god forbid), he'll be OK.

That is a great point. I saw you have a few of the smaller trikes, with them having the balloon tires like my 250sx, will they "float" like mine?

dougspcs
05-09-2014, 09:45 AM
I agree with 'coolpool' on this one..

Another note about the 110(and some others) is that you can adjust the throttle control screw to limit how far the operator can squeeze it!!

Perfect for a new operator to make sure they don't go tearing across the yard at break-neck speed.

I did this with my nephew a few years back and he had a blast riding the my 110 around all day long but never able to go faster than 10-12mph as he got used to it.

I still remember my sister in laws cold dark eyes burning into my soul as I put her son on a trike for the 1st time..BRRRR! :D

barnett468
05-09-2014, 10:15 AM
The two Kawis below are the best 110’s ever made. Even a Honda rider will tell you that if they have ever ridden one. Both they and the Honda are easy to ride, however, the KLT handles better and is a much faster machine. For these reasons it is something he could ride safely now and grow into a bit longer before you need to upsize it. There is also a little more room on it than the Honda and it is better fir bigger people.

The dual range trans on the Honda is a nice feature but it really rarely gets used.

The 86 KLT 110 Has frony dsuspension, the Hinda never had any.

Below is a site with all the specs for all the bikes.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/spexhome.shtml

The Honda is a great bike, it’s just that the Kawi is a greater bike, because it’s, well…a Kawi. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
The Kawai is also virtually indestructible.

Honda does not make a 110 4 wheeler.

Kawasaki…makers of the fastest production bikes in the universe!

KLT 110 BLACK OR RED 5 SPEED. DOES NOT NEED BOTH HIGH AND LOW

. . . http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwLVKuMnf1UjOjaNYl84dGRw1LRMfJA 4_VvYSZxdND_uxt7YlZOhRGtM0Z
http://www.quadcorral.com/atvspecs/uploads/r/risestar/property_722132d26e~.jpg

HONDA ATC 110 4 SPEED WITH HIGH LOW Notice how the foorpeg to sesat height is noticeable less than the mighty KLT.

http://www.atvriders.com/images/honda/model-history/honda-1979-atc110-threewheeler.jpg

KLF 110 MOJAVE WHITE ONLY 5 SPEED

http://www.kawasaki.ca/assets/img/frontend/corporate/atv-museum/large/1987_KLF110A.jpg

HoustonAE2
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Another note about the 110(and some others) is that you can adjust the throttle control screw to limit how far the operator can squeeze it!!

Was not aware they had this option...that makes the decision a lot easier! I know he will eventually learn how to shift so knowing I can limit the throttle makes me feel better. I mean how many of us flipped a 3 wheeler for shifting at the wrong speed

barnett468
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM
The kawai also has an optional hand clutch which can be used if desired.

barnett468
05-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Hello;

you can easily limit the throttle on any bike simply by putting a spacer in the carb. It takes around 60 - 120 seconds to do.

ironchop
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM

I still remember my sister in laws cold dark eyes burning into my soul as I put her son on a trike for the 1st time..BRRRR! :D

great idea.....and yeah I put my son on a 110 @ 8yrs old and he learned on that.....My wife was FURIOUS and threatened to shoot me or some other crap.

I taught him how to ride it on two wheels right off the bat. She got even madder because I was "showing him to trick ride". Not the case. I taught him how to ride it on two wheels around the yard so he would KNOW how to control it when it started to flip on him. It worked as he`s never rolled one (trike)to this day but the fourwheeler has seen its share of rollovers with him and my nephew who were too confident with an extra wheel in front. I also later that month made sure they learned to drift a trike. They, of course, saw this as fun so they were eager to learn to "Tokyo Drift" lol.......now they can whip zero-turns like nobody`s business and they stay on three wheels rather than upside down.

your results may vary, of course.

I got him a 200S when he turned eleven and he rode it until he was 15.

ironchop
05-09-2014, 10:47 AM
PLEASE do NOT buy a cheap Chinese anything.

around me, you can get a running and riding small trike in great condition for the same amount of money as new Chinese junk.

HoustonAE2
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
PLEASE do NOT buy a cheap Chinese anything.

around me, you can get a running and riding small trike in great condition for the same amount of money as new Chinese junk.

The Chinese option was more my wife's idea.

Thanks for you input. I know my kid will love riding and I do believe that learning how to ride a 3 wheeler properly makes a person a save rider all around. Looks like I am getting him a 110/125. Now I just have to find one for the right price...

dougspcs
05-09-2014, 12:10 PM
great idea.....and yeah I put my son on a 110 @ 8yrs old and he learned on that.....My wife was FURIOUS and threatened to shoot me or some other crap.

I taught him how to ride it on two wheels right off the bat. She got even madder because I was "showing him to trick ride". Not the case. I taught him how to ride it on two wheels around the yard so he would KNOW how to control it when it started to flip on him. .

Yeah, later in the day we were riding in circles around the barn yard and I started to do the 2 wheel thing..next thing you know my nephew was following behind me on the 110 copying me..

She FREAKED!!

Ahhh..good times!!

HoustonAE2
05-29-2014, 08:56 AM
So I figured I would update ya'll on what I decided. I got him a new quad, Polaris Outlaw 90. The dealer made me, what I feel, a great deal. This winter he and I will tear down my 250sx and restore that one to it's original shine.

Thanks again for all your help

shovelryder
05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
We have a 90, and two 250SXs......Anytime we leave camp, its a fight over who gets the 90........biggest fun ever riding that thing. from me at 230 all the way down to my 6yr old!

prometheus
05-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Another vote for the 110. Like others have said its not hard to limit the throttle to slow him down. Honda 110 are cheap and built like a rock. He will probably have it long enough to pass it on his son.

DohcBikes
05-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Another vote for the 110. Like others have said its not hard to limit the throttle to slow him down. Honda 110 are cheap and built like a rock. He will probably have it long enough to pass it on his son.Democracy is nice, but usually you wanna vote BEFORE the winner is announced....

Congrats on the Polaris 90 im sure he loves it!

HoustonAE2
05-30-2014, 09:02 AM
I find myself liking it too...it is a great bike. We are very happy with it

mouse24
06-09-2014, 08:55 PM
I must be out of the loop. I haven't bought any bikes for 30 years (still running the same old Hondas). I started looking for a 4 wheeler for my 9 year old son, and I'm finding all these bikes that are automatics. I'm used to the old Honda ATC's where you don't need to work a clutch but I never heard of an automatic transmission on a 4 wheeler. What's anybodies experience with these bikes?

mouse24
07-13-2014, 07:55 PM
I bought a polaris 90 4 wheeler for the boy.....it works pretty well. Now I'll start looking for a 50cc (or something) for my youngest son.