PDA

View Full Version : '85 scrambler

dman10
05-09-2014, 08:55 AM
http://victoriatx.craigslist.org/sno/4460844015.html

MojaveRider
05-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Oh noes, that isn't too far from me and I've always thought those were cool. But didn't someone on here say that the swingarm bearings are a total PITA to replace?

keister
05-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Starter motor is the PITA to replace.
Swingarm bearings (bushings) isn't a bad job, but they are nearly impossible to find.

MojaveRider
05-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Starter motor is the PITA to replace.
Swingarm bearings (bushings) isn't a bad job, but they are nearly impossible to find.

I asked the owner if the starter works, he claims it doesn't know but is easy to replace (likely story....).

keister
05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I asked the owner if the starter works, he claims it doesn't know but is easy to replace (likely story....).

Ha, ya, not so easy to replace. It takes some disassembly, and there is a good chance it is bad.
The good news is the starter/bendix assembly is fairly cheap (under $50) and readily available.
Don't let the horror stories scare you too much. Yes they are a pain, but my brother and I tore ours down and had it back together over the course of a weekend.
It takes one special tool (puller) which I do have and is availble for loan.

My biggest caution is where you live. Polarii don't love the heat. I keep mine parked during the day in the summer until the sun goes down and it cools off in the evening.

Blown 331
05-09-2014, 10:29 PM
I've got 5 Scramblers plus a Trail Boss and had 2 others, so that's 8 total. I've never had a swing arm bushing or starter problem on any.
I've read about the starter like 10 times, I've gotta ask, what's so hard about it? I did crank seals on mine which was involved but easy. Seemed like the starter would come right out at that point.

just ben
05-10-2014, 06:35 AM
The starter isn't that bad of a job if you remove the skid plate and pull it out the bottom. If I remember right I had to remove the recoil, flywheel and the engine cover also. The first time I did it I pulled it from the top and had to remove the rear fenders and rack.

jeswinehart
05-10-2014, 06:55 AM
I made my own swing arm bushings from 1 inch round alu and drilled proper size hole. Just the fact you hafta take SO much stuff apart is what makes the starter a PITA IMO.

john

Blown 331
05-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Just the fact you hafta take SO much stuff apart is what makes the starter a PITA IMO.

john

Pretty much like working on any other part of the bike then. :lol:

fabiodriven
05-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Polarii

I can now refer to more than one Polaris in the proper manner. For this, I thank you.