PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Members - Title Question

ebaccm26
05-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Please do not post telling me about other states because chances are they are different... I went to try and get a title for one of my bikes today, brought the Bill of Sale that I had and what not. When I got there they gave me a form in order to get the VIN on the bike confirmed by a police officer, not super convenient but fair enough. They then told me I had to get a Surety Bond because there was no way to show the transfer of ownership, isn't that what the Bill of Sale is for.... The form they gave me is for a Surety Bond for a manufactured home.... I am pretty sure they just did not know what they were talking about. I swear I had seen in another thread on here at some point that in Michigan you just needed the Bill of Sale to get the title. Do I need to just go ahead and tell them that I am the original owner? Any insight on this would be appreciated.

barnett468
05-09-2014, 03:23 PM
i would do the following.

most states [maybe not all] have privately owned dmv service providers that do not work for the dmv. these people want to help you. the dmv does not. i would go to one or two and tell them your story and most will tell you what you need to do.

in some states all you have to do is tell the dmv that you are the orig owner even if it is in the system. many states do not ask for proof of identification. this means that if the vehicle is in the system, you need the name and sometimes the address of the registered owner and you simply tell them that you are he. after you get the title you simply sell or gift it to your real name. it is not a good idea to leave it in the other persons name.

in some states, these people are also licensed to do vin verifications also so that saves you another step. it might cost you an additional $75.00.

you will be committing a crime but as long as you did not steak it they won;t know and sasren't gonna hunt you down and shoot you with one of DohcBikes assault rifles.

barnett468
05-09-2014, 03:26 PM
i mean the entire service incliuding vin verification might be a total of around $75.00. you will still have to pay the standard dmv fees on top of that.

jeswinehart
05-09-2014, 05:55 PM
The only time I had to secure a bond with insurance company was on a 2003 or 4 quad something for a member.
Any of the trikes you should not haft to plus I can virtually guarantee a check on any trike will come back clean since Secretary of State has thrown out basically old stolen reports (per folks at my license branch I go to ~ and after titling about 20 trikes for member over the years I believe they are correct).

What year and what is it you are attempting to title ???

ebaccm26
05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
I was trying to get a title for one of my 1986 KLT 185's. What do you bring and what do you usually fill out/what do you say to them?

hublake
05-09-2014, 06:52 PM
I have title many in MI also and have never had any problem. When I go to buy a trike the first thing I do is take the Vin number to the SS office and they will run it to see if it is or has been stolen. In three or four days I get word back and if there is no problems I take a bill of sale to the SS office and apply for a title. Have the seller put a price on the bill of sale and that is what they base the sales tax on plus the cost of a new title.

ebaccm26
05-09-2014, 07:08 PM
I have title many in MI also and have never had any problem. When I go to buy a trike the first thing I do is take the Vin number to the SS office and they will run it to see if it is or has been stolen. In three or four days I get word back and if there is no problems I take a bill of sale to the SS office and apply for a title. Have the seller put a price on the bill of sale and that is what they base the sales tax on plus the cost of a new title.

I think one of your posts is the one I saw that made me think that it would be simple. The Bill of Sale does have a price and all the pertinent info. When you say "apply for a title" what exactly do you tell them and what do they have you do. I need to be able to tell them exactly what to do because they clearly do not know what to do at my local Secretary of State because when I went today I brought the Bill of Sale and told them I wanted to get a title and that is when they threw all this paperwork at me and told me I needed to get the bonded title.

jeswinehart
05-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Exactly as Hublake says. You might try another Sectary of State location, or speak with the "manager".