PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Outlaw dash not working

Matt85'350x
05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
I just picked up a 2006 polaris outlaw 500. The battery is completely dead but I'm able to jump start it with my truck. The problem is that none of the dash board lights work-neutral, reverse, nothing. I can get the headlights to come on but nothing on the cluster. It's hooked up to the same cable as the headlights and they're working. Anybody have this problem before? I searched around on google and couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Varget22
05-12-2014, 07:11 PM
I had to troubleshoot a friends Polaris like yours and it turned out to be a component on the pc board in the instrument cluster. Device is called a Silicon Controlled Rectifier or SCR for short. Only way is to open it and look. It will be obvious what got hot. It will require someone that knows soldering. You also should look at the main rectifier/regulator. His went bad and destroyed the SCR in dash and cooked the life out of the battery. Start the bike up and measure voltage across the battery terminals with the motor reved up to 3500rpms. It should measure about 14.4 volts, anything above and it starts to work the system too hard with power disipation.

Matt85'350x
05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I had to troubleshoot a friends Polaris like yours and it turned out to be a component on the pc board in the instrument cluster. Device is called a Silicon Controlled Rectifier or SCR for short. Only way is to open it and look. It will be obvious what got hot. It will require someone that knows soldering. You also should look at the main rectifier/regulator. His went bad and destroyed the SCR in dash and cooked the life out of the battery. Start the bike up and measure voltage across the battery terminals with the motor reved up to 3500rpms. It should measure about 14.4 volts, anything above and it starts to work the system too hard with power disipation.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Varget22
05-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Just check the voltage across the battery first and see what you get before you break out the tools. I could be wrong but i have a feeling it will be about 17 to 18 volts. Post what you find.