PDA

View Full Version : Atc 110 throttle sticks open help

Gwatson212
05-14-2014, 11:45 AM
My 1982 Atc 110's throttle sticks open. Any help to fix this would be appreciated.it has the stock throttle. I'm contemplating going to a twist throttle. What kind should I get and would that be a good idea?

prometheus
05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
I would not go with a twist throttle. You can buy the thumb throttle for yours or a generic after market on eBay. They go bad after ahwile and start to stick. You can try spraying some oil like pb blaster or wd-40 down the line but that's just a band aid. Get a new cable.

briano
05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Start checking it out. Does the cable move freely? Does the slide move freely in the carb? The cable may be kinked or rubbed threw somewhere. I bet it doesn't take much time to figure it out.

atc007
05-14-2014, 12:54 PM
There are 2 notches in your carbs slide. One,little one running the entire length up and down. One cut out on the bottom. The larger,cut out at the bottom. Sits on your idle screw in the carb. You most likely have the slide in 180 degrees off. Assuming your cable is free.

atcdude0
05-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Try pouring some high viscosity oil down the cable. (Just a few drops)

webbch
05-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Not sure if we had the same problem - my throttle was a bit sticky to close on my '84 110. Wasn't snapping closed nicely upon release. Just took the throttle and cable off the trike and cleaned it up. Re-lubed the cable with this (http://www.amazon.com/CABLE-LUBER-6PCS-CARD-BM/dp/B006B1WSF2/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1400124249&sr=8-15&keywords=cable+luber) and it operates smoothly now.

Gwatson212
05-15-2014, 12:01 AM
That's what happens to mine it won't stay open all the way. But it won't close like it was supposed to. Thanks for the help.

webbch
05-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Once you get everything disassembled from the cable, feel how much effort it takes to move the cable back and forth. If the cable is simply dry and dusty, the cable luber should do the trick - you'll notice a huge improvement in how much less force is required after lubing.

If, however, the cable is pinched somewhere or otherwise damaged it may not help. I've had to replace most of the brake cables on my trikes for that reason - lubing wasn't enough on a lot of those old brake cables.

BTW - lubing the cable is messy business - make sure to clean off any excess as it will become a dirt magnet otherwise.

MattDragontamer
05-16-2014, 03:57 AM
Like posted above, take your throttle line apart. Make sure the lever in the housing is moving freely without the cable on the end of it.
Make sure the spring is in the propper place and under tension. The lever should snap back firmly when let go.
The cables (old oem) tend to get rusty inside, you can oil it up, but I would just buy a new cable. The newer ones are better quality and should give you many years of worry free use.
Finally, the carb. Like mentioned, make sure the guide is working properly and is in the propper alignment. Best thing is to remove the carb, inspect the guide and close it up before reinstalling the carb. The cap is usually tricky to screw on, but should be easy to fully screw down one the threads line up.