PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Debit Card

MRSOUND
05-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Just have a few questions about the PayPal debit card I've had for a while now. I've only used it once to ship a set of rear fenders through fedex with no issues. If what I read is correct I can use it anywhere they accept mastercard. So I'm assuming I can use this anywhere for anything like a bank debit card? Purchase gas, groceries, or pay a bill as long as I have the funds available in my account? And supposedly without any fess? Talk to me folks, want to know what your experiences are with this card.

slashfan7964
05-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Don't quote me on this, because I have never used one, but from my understanding, PayPal is directly tied into to your bank account, so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I would try it. Worst comes to worst bring something else as a backup.

Ghostv2
05-14-2014, 02:34 PM
I've been thinking about getting one since I started selling on eBay and I get tired of waiting the 3-4 business days for the funds to be transferred to my bank account.

I'm sure it's just like any other credit/debit card.

Mr. Clean
05-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Mrs. Clean has one and uses it all the time just like her regular bank debit card.

Good information here:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Tips-from-Moderators/Questions-about-the-PayPal-Debit-or-Prepaid-Card/td-p/420717

Just have a few questions about the PayPal debit card I've had for a while now. I've only used it once to ship a set of rear fenders through fedex with no issues. If what I read is correct I can use it anywhere they accept mastercard. So I'm assuming I can use this anywhere for anything like a bank debit card? Purchase gas, groceries, or pay a bill as long as I have the funds available in my account? And supposedly without any fess? Talk to me folks, want to know what your experiences are with this card.

MRSOUND
05-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Mrs. Clean has one and uses it all the time just like her regular bank debit card.

Good information here:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Tips-from-Moderators/Questions-about-the-PayPal-Debit-or-Prepaid-Card/td-p/420717
Thanks Mr. clean!
Slash & Ghost - There are 2 different cards you can get from PayPal. 1 is a regular credit card like any other MasterCard with a high interest rate, the one I have is a debit card that only draws off my PayPal balance. I want to read up on the link Mr. Clean posted but I don't think it will pull from from your verified bank account if your PayPal balance is depleted.

MRSOUND
05-14-2014, 03:04 PM
I stand corrected....according to the link it will pull funds directly out of your verified bank account if your PayPal balance is depleted. Again thanks, this is the type of info I was looking for!

jeswinehart
05-14-2014, 05:49 PM
I have had my paypal debit card for about 4 years now and use it for anything I care too. I have never done a ATM withdrawal in my life with any card but I understand there is a fee if it is used to do that other wise no cost to have or use.
Sure beats paying money to have funds transferred into regular bank account (that takes days to happen),,,,

john

MRSOUND
05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
I have had my paypal debit card for about 4 years now and use it for anything I care too. I have never done a ATM withdrawal in my life with any card but I understand there is a fee if it is used to do that other wise no cost to have or use.
Sure beats paying money to have funds transferred into regular bank account (that takes days to happen),,,,

john
Thanks John, I was hoping that was the case. I believe from what I read on the link it's $1.50 per cash withdrawal plus whatever the ATM charges.

kb0nly
05-15-2014, 12:56 AM
I have been using my PayPal card for years and years now... I literally got it when it first came out, and i know i have renewed it many times, so its been a long time.

Go into your account and check what your backup funding source is set to, if its set to your bank account then when you make say a $10 purchase and you have $6 on your PayPal balance the additional $4 will come from your bank account. Just an example of how it works.

I have a debit card for my bank account but i find i use my PayPal card more then the actual bank card because of the convenience of checking the transactions. My local bank doesn't have electronic banking or notifications or anything fancy like that. With PayPal you can set it up to get a text notification on any charges made to your account, very handy to have! I was sitting at home one day and got a notice that my PayPal debit card was used to make an online purchase but it wasn't me, so i logged into PayPal disputed the transaction and called them for a new card, took less than a week to get it all straightened out and the funds were back in my account in a few days time after disputing it, new card in less than a week. That would have happened with my bank card i wouldnt have known for weeks!

Some ATM's will let you pull from PayPal without any charge, you can search for local ones near you through PayPal. I have a US Bank near me thats free to pull money off my balance at the ATM. The card is issued by US Bankcorp, so most US Bank locations have a free or reduced fee for withdrawal. Also you can select cash back at any place you shop, no extra fee for cash back when drawing from your PayPal balance, however if they have to take funds from your backup funding source to cover the cash back you could get charged the 3% transaction fee on that amount, unless they changed that too now. There has been quite a few changes lately to the PayPal card because of all the credit card industry changes.

You can also apply for PayPal Buyer Credit, which gives you a credit line like a credit card, then set that as your backup funding source. Always have your PayPal balance as your primary source and your bank account or buyer credit as the backup funding source, less fees and no interest when pulling from your balance, its so convenient. Takes me 2-3 days to withdraw from PayPal to my bank account, but i can pull off at the ATM or just go shopping with the card to use my balance immediately. You also get the lower transfer rates and some other perks for being a card member. I have the Premier Business Account with them, the cash back bonus on purchases can really add up every month!

kb0nly
05-15-2014, 12:57 AM

john

Do you mean from PayPal to Bank Account? No fees for a withdrawal transfer from PayPal to your bank.

jeswinehart
05-15-2014, 06:03 AM
Yes, paypal funds into my regular bank savings account (I don't have a checking account),,, it has been so long now but I recall it taking more time to do the transfere then I thought it should for being a "electronic" money transfere.

jeffatc250r
05-15-2014, 05:13 PM
I have one, i use it everywhere from the gas station to liquor store, even dunkin donuts in the morning. Its great, i love it.
Heads up though if you do cash advance its a $4 fee. And when your at the atm you must send ot through as credit, not debit!

Mr. Clean
05-15-2014, 06:00 PM
If the Mrs. needs cash she just goes to the local grocery store and buys a small item and gets up to $100 cash back to avoid the ATM fee.

jeffatc250r
05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
If the Mrs. needs cash she just goes to the local grocery store and buys a small item and gets up to $100 cash back to avoid the ATM fee.
Good stinkin

DohcBikes
05-28-2014, 12:22 AM
I opened a separate paypal account that only has my paypal debit card linked to it, no bank accounts. That way if the money isnt on the card, it wont let me buy parts i cant afford, lol...

I use my paypal card all the time and it works great. I always pull my cash from cash back transactions as well since im already buying something anyway. ATM fees are outrageous!!