PDA

View Full Version : for DC, and fellow cat fans

plastikosmd
05-15-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm sure u have seen it, all over the net. Stray cat adopted by family after it follow them home. Now turned child protector. Great video, the full tilt body check to create separation, the look back to check on owner, the subsequent chase, then the circle back to defend and stand guard till kid gets away. I had a cat like that once, sure miss him.

bite wounds/injury at end

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo9QRJnVTPxcAhwn7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBzOG V0c3MzBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMjk-?p=cat+defends+kid+from+dog&vid=4e1de2378e1bc162d9cb9d9abf434185&l=00%3A57&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVB.6 952562790530%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-CXU4wiUOv4&tit=Cat+Saves+Kid+From+Dog+Attack&c=27&sigr=11aiqtfr1&sigt=10te2j5g2&pstcat=animals&age=0&fr=yfp-t-901&tt=b

fabiodriven
05-15-2014, 07:31 PM
That is absolutely amazing.

plastikosmd
05-15-2014, 07:49 PM
^ agree! pretty friggin cool. Cat had no regard for itself, just threw itself at something more than 2x its size .

atc007
05-15-2014, 09:40 PM
LOVE my Kitties ,,all kinds :) :).. I've seen my cats fearlessly send huge raccoons hightailing out of town. And just tear up huge dogs . Love it!

DohcBikes
05-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Wow what a crazed dog, completely unprovoked!!

Good thing Kitty is a Badass Motha that dont take sh*t from NOBODY

Vealmonkey
05-16-2014, 01:50 AM
It is a great story. Most people don't give cats any credit.

jakep53
05-16-2014, 08:26 AM
I can't stand cats not because I don't like them but because I am allergic to them but my dogs are also scared of cats I dunno why but a lot of dogs seem to be afraid of them...

Dave Little
05-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Nice video, that is a stand-up cat right there. If it were my kid, that dog would disappear and I'd come home with some big fish, no joke....and I'd of course share it with the neighbors :D

Dirtcrasher
05-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the share, that cat doesn't take any crap!!

ironchop
05-17-2014, 10:10 AM
my French Mastiff brought home a stray cat one day three yrs ago then she had kitties. He loves `em and they love the hell out of him too. We have 10 or 11 now (we live out in the country). Coyotes attack and eat them around here and they come home with broken legs, broken pelvis, skin tore to shreds, eyeball tore up, etc. I don`t take any of them to the vet because they are too smart to get tricked into a cage. They are super friendly but seem to know when your intentions will cause them great discomfort and then they are ready to shred that ass in self defense.

When a cat can roam around with broken hanging limbs or a broken pelvis and heal up on their own (the pelvis kittie has had a litter since that episode and walks with a slight limp but gets by fine) or have bones poking through skin and limp up and purr at ya, that's some tough moth******ers right there. I got much Respect for felines. And my dog protects the hell out of them too. He keeps strange cats away and his buddies lay all over him in return.....oddest thing I have ever seen as far as dog/cat relationships.

I`ve caught a few documentaries lately about animal behavior and while I hunt and eat meat, I must say animals are MUCH more emotionally/intellectually complicated and interesting than they get credit for.

checkout "My Life as a Turkey"......make you think twice about how 'dumb' turkeys and wildlife are....minblowing. "Saving Luna" also is a good one.

Anyway, I feed and water my cats but if I didn`t they would survive fairly well in the environment anyway. I would give them med treatment if I could catch one without them clawing the living f$%^ out of my arms but we do have a cat lady coming to try and get the three females and have them fixed so as to curb their reproduction capabilities.

Cats are badass... mine never did anything like the cat in that vid though.

DohcBikes
05-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Well said iron chop, cats just kick ass. My dad has a good way of explaining which is tougher....drop a dog off in the wild and it will almost surely die of predators or starvation, it trades natural instinct for domestication.

Drop a cat off in the wild, it will hunt and kill, probably find another cat, and make new cats. They do not rely on us, they rely on instinct.

What we see here in the video, in my opinion, is instinctual mutual respect. The cat is protecting a member of a family that lives in his domain, gives him food even though he doesn't require help in doing so. Many cats will bring home dead animals to pay respect, and I think, also to say hey, I can get my own food if I need too, but I like the food you give me for free, so I'm gonna stick around here.

And if anyone tries to mess with you.........:D

coolpool
05-17-2014, 12:28 PM
This video has gone viral. My guess is that cat will end up with one of those "Purina" awards for heroism; and it darn well deserves it. Wonder what happened to the dog, not that I care as long as it's dead! One question from a naive Canadian, are those motion sensitive cameras recording that? I don't get the various views that are recorded?

Mr. Clean
05-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Last I read the dog is quarantined for 10 days and will be euthanized.

It is my opinion:

Dog was in the "wrong" but I look to the owners as they are losing their pet as well, however it is probably best to put the dog down and the owners should be held liable for medical bills. I can only assume the owners are not fit for owning a dog or animal, but nothing has been provided about the details of the owners. Why was the dog out and not leashed up? Where were the owners? What is the history on this dog of attacks on other animals, humans? Did the dog escape and perform the attack unprovoked? Any history between the neighbors?

I have owned cats all my life and they are more personable and amazing animals than they get credit for. I have never understood the disdain for any animal. Seems most people do not like cats due to their perceived independence, lack of knowledge on how to interact with them and why they behave the way they do.

There are huge differences between feral cats and domesticated. None of my inside cats would be able to survive the wild as they have been spoiled since being a kitten. I have one outside cat who is feral and brings me birds and lizards regularly, she could survive for the most part but all it would take is a pack of coyotes and she would be in big trouble. If they start out feral and wild that is one thing, but releasing them to fend for themselves is not the right thing to do in any case. The life expectancy of an outdoor cat is about 1/2 that of an indoor cat, its a fact.

As with any pet its imperative you know what your getting into before taking the plunge, and please spay or neuter them. They have programs with cages/traps you can capture feral cats and have them fixed. When they fix them they trim the ear to show they have been captured and fixed. Shelters are full of animals who did not choose to be neglected. Mrs. Clean volunteered and now works at a no kill shelter and I hear the stories daily about idiot owners who should never be allowed around animals of any kind.

Oh and Tara the cat in this video is an AWESOME cat!!

ironchop
05-17-2014, 03:01 PM
yeah unfortunately I`m probably doing the wrong thing by feeding them but it starts innocent enough caring for a stray. If it`s female and not fixed, the problem can explode quick. This is how I heard about the cat lady who spay/neuters them. I called the local shelter for help because I also like the squirrels because they get all the hickory nuts from my six big hickorys. Sounds like I`m mowing a gravel pile now and the birds no longer frequent the feeders which are now located in a giant kill zone......10 cats= no birds, no squirrels

only six were feral the other four came at different times as owners dump pets on our road all the time. Dogs will stay put waiting vigilantly (sadly) for the owner to come back for weeks but cats will go look for other cats or cat groups. Very social animals.........and guess who has a cat gang? Me. So they stuck around and I didn`t want them to starve sooooooooo.....time for the cat lady with the traps.

good intentions sometimes bring unwanted consequences

Scootertrash
05-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Mr. Clean-
The story I read said the dogs owners were leaving and the dog ran out when the gate was opened. Also, the last I read there was a bunch of people wanting to save the dog, but the dog pound said the dog would be euthanized no matter what, as it was very aggressive towards employees of the pound even when they tried to feed it.

It would take a lot of training to cure that dog of it's bad habits. Most people don't have the skills or patience to accomplish that.