PDA

View Full Version : New Member...New 2 stroke owner...new questions

lbrettmiller
05-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey guys. New member here...I've had a few three wheelers through the years, but never a 2 stroke. I recently bought a 1984 Honda 250R ATC and a matching parts bike. The complete bike is in pretty good shape. The parts bike is in multiple boxes. Anyways...my questions...

When I purchased the bike, the owner said that it would need either rings or a crank seal, due to the smoking. It does smoke a lot. My fuel mixture is around 40:1 on this tank. But in addition to the smoking, it spits oil out of the exhaust. And in the expansion chamber, there are some holes in it from sitting I'm assuming. You can see smoke come from it while at higher revs. Would the holes contribute to any of the smoking? Also at certain thumb level on the throttle, it acts like it's flooding out some...I'm assuming the holes in the exhaust would have something to do with that.

Are these symptoms normal? I know 2 strokes smoke, but this trike smokes a lot. It's white smoke. I'm going to switch out the exhaust for the one on the parts bike to see what that does. Does it sound like I need some new rings? or a crank seal? It has pretty good compression, haven't had a compression test yet.

Also, where is a good place to get parts for these bikes?

Here is a picture of my $900 investment. You can see the parts bike in the back.

jb2wheels
05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Looks great.

Need to do some testing to know what's happening. Case pressure test to check seals. Compression test to check rings/cylinder.

Crank seals on on 85 are easy. I assume the air foolers are easy too.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Before you go into tearing your engine apart, you need to make sure your jetting is dialed in proper. From what you are describing it sounds overly rich to me. They will smoke like nobodies business when they are too rich. IMHO, you should see if you can dial it in with jetting adjustments and a fresh sparkplug first. If that nets no results, then move on to bigger issues.

Start simple...

One hint though: If you have a bad transmission side crank seal it will smoke ALOT and you will notice your transmission oil level going down after riding because it is being sucked into the crank case through the bad seal and burned. If you have a bad stator side crank seal it will suck air and lean out (usually very little if any smoke at all and a recipe for a topend burn-down).

Welcome aboard! :beer

MissPipeline
05-19-2014, 07:46 PM
As stated above, those are all great suggestions. Cheap 2 stroke oil smokes a lot. It less efficiently also and causes some "slobbering" around the pipe.

MissPipeline
05-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Some other things to check is a plugged air filter also you can drop your needle one setting on the carb. If your muffler is plugged it will cause it to load up and produce some of these signs. Your float may be set a little on the high side as well. Good luck with your machine I'm sure its nothing major.

lbrettmiller
05-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm planning on looking at it after work slows down this week.