PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum (82 200e Big Red)

Duckhunter1
05-19-2014, 10:11 AM
New to the forum, this is my first time attempting to mess with a three wheeler. Picked up a 1982 ATC 200e Big Red yesterday. Was told it needs a Tensioner replaced. Anyone know how hard this is to do or where to even start? Its in ruff condition but i would like to restore it or atleast make it rideable for now. Thanks for any help.

dougspcs
05-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Well assuming the reason is due to a rattling in the engine at idle??

It's a job that will take a reasonable degree of mechanical knowledge..since usually the tensioner is worn out at about the same time the timing chain is all stretched and ready for replacement. Since it means pulling the motor from the machine(some say it can be done in) and the head/cylinder removed you are basically talking about a full top end job.

If it doesn't smoke too bad and the cylinder & piston aren't scored you could likely get away with a new set of rings/gaskets/chain&tensioners. Then hone the cylinder and put it all back together..a pretty good job to cut your teeth on actually.

Just be prepared for some breakage and complications as you take things apart..exhaust studs and such.

prometheus
05-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Welcome to 3WW. He's right it will test your mechanical skill if you've never been that deep into the engine before. That being said there is nothing that can be taken apart we can't help you get back together. Have you gotten it running? What makes you think it needs tensioner and chain? Post some pics.

Duckhunter1
05-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Welcome to 3WW. He's right it will test your mechanical skill if you've never been that deep into the engine before. That being said there is nothing that can be taken apart we can't help you get back together. Have you gotten it running? What makes you think it needs tensioner and chain? Post some pics.

I will post some pics later this evening after work. I have rebuilt many fourwheeler engines I know this is alittle different so I will go slow and probably ask alot of questions. When i picked it up he show me a broken small rubber piece said it is a tensioner, I have not had it running he said it ran about two months ago before the tensioner broke. If i am correct with the tensioner broke it will not start due to the timing being out of wack. My first step is to tear into it and post up some pics. Being that it going to be so indepth I may just go ahead and rebuild the entire motor. Wouldnt that be the best bet? Once i pull the motor how do i get to the tensioner? Thanks for the help so far

Duckhunter1
05-19-2014, 10:45 PM

Duckhunter1
05-19-2014, 10:48 PM
First off is this be correct spot for me to be posting pics and asking questions it do I need to move this to a different spot on the forum? Next The pics I've posted are exactly how I picked it up. The last picture is a all Of the parts that were in the rear storage compartment. Can anyone give me any insight as to what they go to and where? As the pictures also show it needs some serious work. I pulled the rear plastics and rack tomorrow I plan to pull the the tank and get it washed up so I can see everything a little better.

prometheus
05-20-2014, 02:26 AM
WOW! You certainly have your work cut out. Not saying it can't be done but you have a lot of work ahead of you. Yes if you are new to forum this is the only place can post. Your bike is chain driven right or is it shaft? How is the tranny does it seem to shift ok? First thing I would do is get that engine out and get it apart and find out what its going to take to get it running. If its trashed you dont want money tied up in it or the bike untill you decide how to proceed. Get the engine apart and inspect everything making sure that nothing is damaged internally. Then go from there ordering parts.

Duckhunter1
05-20-2014, 08:28 AM
WOW! You certainly have your work cut out. Not saying it can't be done but you have a lot of work ahead of you. Yes if you are new to forum this is the only place can post. Your bike is chain driven right or is it shaft? How is the tranny does it seem to shift ok? First thing I would do is get that engine out and get it apart and find out what its going to take to get it running. If its trashed you dont want money tied up in it or the bike untill you decide how to proceed. Get the engine apart and inspect everything making sure that nothing is damaged internally. Then go from there ordering parts.

Yes it is chain driven, as far as i can tell tranny seems to shift fine. Whoever has had this thing a long the way has just done enough to keep it going. I will pull the motor tonight and do a tear down on it at work in the next couple days will keep yall updated with the progress. thanks

86125m
05-20-2014, 10:25 AM
well it'll be a nice bike when its finished and I agree do the whole top end and if you have worked on 4-wheelers you will probably have an easier time working on that big red. if you need rear fenders there is a brand new set of rear fenders on eBay but they will cost you your first born child.

prometheus
05-20-2014, 10:53 AM
well it'll be a nice bike when its finished and I agree do the whole top end and if you have worked on 4-wheelers you will probably have an easier time working on that big red. if you need rear fenders there is a brand new set of rear fenders on eBay but they will cost you your first born child.

Yes unfortunatly they do not make aftermarket fenders for your 200e or for my 200es which look very similer if not the same. Yes keep us updated, eager to see how its going.

cwolfe
05-20-2014, 11:24 AM
First off is this be correct spot for me to be posting pics and asking questions it do I need to move this to a different spot on the forum? Next The pics I've posted are exactly how I picked it up. The last picture is a all Of the parts that were in the rear storage compartment. Can anyone give me any insight as to what they go to and where? As the pictures also show it needs some serious work. I pulled the rear plastics and rack tomorrow I plan to pull the the tank and get it washed up so I can see everything a little better.

the last picture you show of all the parts in the trunk and they are of the timing chain, timing chain sproket that goes on the cam and i believe the wire is for the neutral safety switch light. the two long plastic rods with curves are the timing chain tensioners they ride in the jug and seat in the bottom end. the one with the hole in the top for a bolt is the on that the auto tensioner pushes against to tighten the chain. hope this helps!

Duckhunter1
05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
the last picture you show of all the parts in the trunk and they are of the timing chain, timing chain sproket that goes on the cam and i believe the wire is for the neutral safety switch light. the two long plastic rods with curves are the timing chain tensioners they ride in the jug and seat in the bottom end. the one with the hole in the top for a bolt is the on that the auto tensioner pushes against to tighten the chain. hope this helps!

Yes it does thanks again for the help guys, ive gat the motor pulled going to start pulling it apart in the next couple of days. This thing was so dirty just gettin it cleaned to work on was a task. Theres so many wires running every direction its hard to know whats factory and whats not is there somewhere i can find a factory wiring diagram? thanks

dougspcs
05-21-2014, 04:17 PM
That isn't the trike most 1st timers would want to have to tackle..that is a major project you have there!!

Needs a lot of love indeed!!