PDA

View Full Version : Bakery stories. Lets hear them

Jabcon
05-20-2014, 06:58 AM
The girlfriend and I opened a bakery back in January and everyone who comes in has a story about a bakery when they were kids.

Who had the best donuts? Who did the best wedding cakes? Who made the best cinnamon rolls?

I wanna hear some of your guys stories and experiences.

I personally don't have any because the first time I ever stepped foot in a bakery was the day before we opened to see where to price things lol.

jeswinehart
05-20-2014, 07:27 AM
As kids the whole "gang" in the neighbor hood would flag down the Kremo bakery delivery truck and pool our moneys + buy from him right off the side of the rode. Nice guy.
I simply drool over the looks of those old school bakery delivery trucks, I just like the looks of them.

El Camexican
05-20-2014, 08:48 AM
My dad always warned us that if we ate the hole in a donut we burp.

JasonB
05-20-2014, 08:48 AM
I wont dothe local grocery stores 'bakerys' because the donuts taste like crap. We have two local places by me in South St Louis that i dont stray from when it comes to legit donuts and actual cookies that dont taste like cardboard; Lubley's and Federhoffer's. Both are packed full of 60's and 70's equipment and racks packed with awesome baked goods. I dont know why, but things like bread, donuts, cookies, all things like that just taste awful from Walmart and other big places. I dont know if its just poor ingredients or some kind of preservatives in them but the taste is God awful! Anyways, not a real nostalgic story on my end but i do have a love for old donut places and old school bakerys.

Do you have a website or anything for your Bakery Jabcon? Do you stay pretty busy?

shovelryder
05-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Mmmmmmm.......Ill take a warm, oven fresh, apple fritter!

hublake
05-20-2014, 10:08 AM
When I was in high school (58-62) some of us would walk to downtown Alpena and go to Climes bakery and get a large apple fritter for 10 cents. Sometimes we would go to Wehofers bakery. My high school was in Alpena and it was only about a two block walk and we had an hour for lunch. Can't beat the aroma coming from a bakery.

Lord Letto 20
05-20-2014, 10:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake_Boss
http://www.carlosbakery.com/

Has anyone been? If I Had A Passport and a way to get down there with money, I'd so stop in to buy some stuff!

Jabcon
05-20-2014, 02:06 PM
You can look us up on facebook at Cocoa's Cakery. She's Cocoa and I'm Cakery. Business is pretty good so far. Steadily pickin up. Everything is made right here in house. She went to pastry school after highschool and I'm making it up as I go along lol. Anyone have anything against us bringing some stuff as door prizes for trikefest?

ironchop
05-20-2014, 02:23 PM
is your shop in Trafalgar?

That's an old stomping ground of mine. I went to FCHS but lived just northwest of Trafalgar and had a lot of friends at ICHS.

Used to ride my buddy`s Tri-Z all over town (all four blocks of it back then) until their one police officer came to run us off

JasonB
05-20-2014, 02:32 PM
DUDE i think baked goods would be kick butt door prizes!!!!

Jabcon
05-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Yep it's right next to Joe's Junction on the new block of town lol. What year did you graduate? The girlfriend and I are 08 and 09 graduates.

I'll load up the bakery's new "equipment" hauling trailer with some of our signature items if no ones against it then. The Trailer also fits two trikes perfectly.... Better bring them too I suppose lol

ironchop
05-20-2014, 04:21 PM
graduated 1989 lol.....maybe I know your mom and dad...hahaha

or you may know my neice, Yletta Corsaro

Joe`s Junction is the most happenin spot in T-Fal these days

My buddy Rick and his dad owned the Crowbar. Haven`t been there or seen him in years. they may have sold it.

Jabcon
05-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah i know her. Couple years younger and lived down the road from me. Crowbars still there, not sure who owns it though. Have never been in but have thought about stoppin by on the way to the bakery at one in the morning but its always packed. I've only been legal to go in there for a couple of years lol

Caminofeld
05-21-2014, 10:43 AM
My parents would always take us to Herman's Bakery in Towson, MD after church on Sundays and for special occasions. From what I remember they had amazing cupcakes. Now that I live up North, Maple Donuts is the spot...what's there not to love about a maple donut covered in bacon or a peanut butter n jelly donut. My blood sugar is spiking just thinking about it...

tri again
05-23-2014, 02:47 AM
The girlfriend and I opened a bakery back in January and everyone who comes in has a story about a bakery when they were kids.

Who had the best donuts? Who did the best wedding cakes? Who made the best cinnamon rolls?

I wanna hear some of your guys stories and experiences.

I personally don't have any because the first time I ever stepped foot in a bakery was the day before we opened to see where to price things lol.

We changed an old church into a bakery.
With all the restrictions and rules about signs, we simply
aimed one exhaust fan directly AT the ATM $ machine
at the bank across the street and another at the post office.
Didn't need a sign for months.

As a kid, I loved watching the fresh bread loaves getting sliced, which they' do for free when you bought bread.

atc007
05-23-2014, 08:12 AM
I've never been to a bakery... But cool thread. I wish you guys all the luck with your new adventure. Business is actually very simple. Sleep like a baby at night because you know you treated everyone the very best you COULD. Some,,cannot/and do NOT want,to be pleased:). Recognize them,and keep them away :) Pay off debt as absolutely FAST as possible,and pay cash for everything. The rest will fall right into place. . Keep it simple .

JayBone
05-23-2014, 01:04 PM
I watched a roach (about the size of a sunflower seed) crawl over donuts at a dunkin once. Just ordered a coffee down the street. ha! I would have never guessed there were so many stories about bakeries.

czac
06-02-2014, 07:37 AM
good luck on the new Bakery. Keep the items fresh and the coffee hot and you should do great business. I go to the little Portuguese Bakery here in CT called Chaves, its good, has lots of fresh bakery goods and sandwiches to order... they do good catering too with the long, 6 foot subs or the big round subs that look like delicious Christmas wreaths...lol When I worked in New Haven, every morning we'd stop in at Rocco's Bakery and get a fresh hot loaf of Italian bread and for .50 cents and go back to the shop and pig out!

pipeline triker
06-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Man I wish we had a real Bakery around me. A lady I knew had one in the nearest town by me, long closed now. I used to stop after work a few times a week. My mother in law ran a bakery for a while as well. I hope your bussiness does great.

I weld stuff
06-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Back when I was in high school (late 90's) there was a donut shop in town called Carmacks; they had amazing spudnuts (like a donut but they use potato flour.) we would stop whenever possible and had money. We even had a few teachers that would look the other way when we were tardy if we had a spare donut or two for them. The place burned down and never rebuilt, it was a sad day.
We are lucky, we also have another awesome bakery- Parsons, and a few franchise bakerys in town. The donuts, rolls, and bread from all of them are much better than grocery store stuff but are a little pricey.