PDA

View Full Version : Solar FREAKIN' Roadways!

MattDragontamer
05-23-2014, 01:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU&list=FL0gEw6pgNkLkkzMwzX4UtHA

atc007
05-23-2014, 08:25 AM
I just came here to post this Matt. Thanx for beating me to it. I Think this could literally be the answer. I truly do. Yes,it will be a lot of work. But what we can do as humans is absolutely astonishing. Look at our transportation system today. Compared to 80 years ago. A few dirt paths, to what we have today. And Look at the technology we have now,compared to My Dad and their crews with shovels and picks. I'm getting behind this and pushing hard. This earth NEEDS this/or something darn close to it VERY SOON.

fabiodriven
05-23-2014, 08:47 AM
That is absolutely amazing and I'm certain that is our future. The problem up here would be the snow plows as they destroy everything including themselves.

MattDragontamer
05-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Yea, the idea is neat, but I'm sure like you all stated, that there are small issues.
I can see this being used in cities and urban areas where things are readily available, but not out in the country or where the temperature hits minus -20 or colder.
But you never know, stranger things have happened. Think of AC power, when Nicolas Tesla was trying to push the idea to the public, he was laughed at. Many tried to discredit him saying it was a pipe dream and AC power was too unstable. Now today, it's the primary source or power distribution on the grid.

If the units really are able to heat themselves, then plows would not be needed.

I'm sure you will see these units hit airports, malls and other such places before the main road. But from what I was reading online about it, some people are dishing out the cash to get their home driveways done.

In any case, it's an idea I like and seen a few years back, seems like the push is on now to get things done. Time will tell.

JayBone
05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
I read about this the other day too. Definitly a city or urban thing & southern states & it's a great idea. Tesla got a raw deal & the band should have been more popular as well. ha!

fabiodriven
05-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Those things would have to put out some serious heat to keep up with the blizzards we get.

atc007
05-23-2014, 01:07 PM
I've had this on my mind ALL day while running the dozer.. ALL our needs, electric/internet,ran underground to our homes. The road is ALREADY there!!! No more overhead lines/poles.. Sure,there would need to be some adjustments for blizzards etc. But,life would go on those snowy days. Maybe draw more power from the South as the storms ramp up? The tech is there! I hope and pray somehow, they can push this past the mega trillion dollar oil guys.. But seriously doubt they can. This should be in every southern state by next years end. It could be done. What a simple/genius idea...

90guy
05-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Great idea. I could see cities and urban areas using it. But around here. I dont think it would work so well. You can't tell me the farmers don't overload there trucks up here. Because I know everyone does. Dad manages an elevator. These over loaded trucks beat the living garbage out of the roads. Let alone putting down solar panels on the roadway. I am just thinking about the shear amount of jobs this project would create though!

I weld stuff
05-31-2014, 09:42 AM
I had mixed emotions after watching this video. I was excited about the technology that is being developed, as any new ideas will always cause others to push their boundaries etc.
I feel that they may have gone a little too big too soon though. Hear me out. Solar is an expensive technology that many for one reason or another are hesitant to accept. When you add all the LEDs, and other little goodies these tiles do, the price goes up in a hurry. Also, we have no idea what the lifespan on a product such as this will be. From what I have read that is a big factor on many current solar technologies. Imagine replacing miles of roadway or parking lots with a high dollar tile that just needs to be redone in five or ten years after it may have just paid itself off.
With all the negative I have said, I still am really excited about solar, wind, and other alternative energies. The sun will always shine, the wind blows, the seas are always rolling in and out. We might as well take advantage of it.

Most importantly, these mean more fuels for our three wheelers!