PDA

View Full Version : New here... picked up a '78 ATC 110 (for 10$), need help replacing the chain!

jefpel
05-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Hi All,

New to this site! As the title says , I recently picked up a '78 ATC 110 off a buddy for $10!

The bike is missing all plastics, the seat and tank. My buddy had it running and driving until the chain broke.

I have got it running, (runs great, leaks a bit of oil though.) and now need to replace this chain, before I drop any more money on plastics, tank etc.

I bought a replacement chain that is the same size for 15$ from Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbour Freight). I am having trouble getting the broken chain out and the new one in. I have tried putting the bike in neutral and pulling on the chain, but the sprocket wont turn. As well I have tried while the bike is running and in first gear.... but still the sprocket wont turn.

Can someone direct me in the right direction here! Could there be issues with the sprocket/clutch? Do I need more oil for the clutch/gears to work?

How much of a job is it to pull the left size case apart to fish a new chain in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am decently handy with bikes... currently own a dual sport and dirt bike, do minor work on them.

Thanks,
Jeff