PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas of how to spread an air filter??

Dirtcrasher
05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
I have my 86/87 200X with an airbox opening of about 39MM to go on the stock carb, the FCR CRF150 carburetor opening is about 45MM.

6MM difference. I boiled it for 5 minutes and could not force it on.

I looked into a pod filters and found 10 pages of UNI filters but nothing specific as a pod for that size, just an airbox filter.

Any other stretching ideas? or help with a pod filter?

I'd like to get this to TF but I have to get a filter on there and wish I could use the stock airbox but my method didn't do the trick.

Thanks for any help.....

shortline10
05-26-2014, 08:56 PM
A heat gun while mounting it should do the trick , a pair of gloves helps so you can slip it on while it's HOT !

Thorpe
05-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Can you use the crf boot and build a billet aluminum flange on the 200x air box? (Cut the box, silicone and rivet or bolt the flange... Maybe a reinforcement ring on the other side of the box...?)

Dirtcrasher
05-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Well, I do have a solution I can make on my lathe; Just wasn't sure of the limits of these things....

Thanks guys!!

MTS
05-29-2014, 11:02 PM
An expandable exaust mandrel might do it , the cheap kind you use a impact on..that never work for exaust pipe. used one on an old boot after boiling it last week..had to move quick but it worked!